Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hawktique Racing

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hawktique Racing
    Posted: February-23-2012 at 12:20pm
Some of you may have been wondering where I've been. Well, I sold the Hawktique 6mos after our dam failed, in fear that it would be many years before it would be rebuilt. As it is now, Lake Delhi dam is about to start reconstruction, not sure how long it will take.

After a few other developments, we decided to get my oldest into motorsports. Here are some pics of last year, and our new car for this year. Half Scale Jr dragster, 7.9 sec 1/8 mile car on alcohol!

If you wish to follow our new endeavor, we have a Facebook page set up. Aiva Moore Racing

"A Veteran is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." Semper Fi
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 1:55pm
I gotta come see these things run sometime! Hope you guys are enjoying the new endeavor.

...how did the wrestling season end up? Seems like I saw a lot of podium pictures on facebook!
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 3:11pm
Still at it. Sitting at 16-3 on the season. We have state coming up March 10th in Des Moines.
"A Veteran is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." Semper Fi
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 3:13pm
Two of his losses were in overtime to last years state champ, who also won USA state this year and finished 3rd at nationals.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 3:18pm
i'd be really tempted to take that for a rip around the block at around 3am after a fifth of jim beam
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 3:19pm
That is friggin' cool Hawktique!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

i'd be really tempted to take that for a rip around the block at around 3am after a fifth of jim beam

Your girlish figure would probably fit in that thing!
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 4:59pm
I like the way you drink hollywood haha. I wanted one of those sooooo bad when I was a kid but mom ruled that out as being to dangerous but grandpa still bought me a pretty fast circle track cart that I never actually got to race in comptetion. Maybe we will see that little girl running one of those 8000hp monsters some day!
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 9:15pm
Thats freeking awsome..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2012 at 1:44pm
Here she goes. We have the car dialed in for 8.9 sec. She's bouncing anywhere between 8.885 and 8.95 @ 73.5 mph. Hope this video works.

IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2012 at 8:49pm
Very cool...only problem I see is it will be very hard to say, "No young lady, you can't borrow the car, you're not old enough to drive!"
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2012 at 10:10pm
Cool Josh,   Are you running a Blockzilla?
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2012 at 10:14pm
Thats pretty cool.
I've seen these around Viperizer Racing is right up the road from me in Fombell Pa.
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2012 at 11:13am
IAughtNaut: I'm thinking it'll make it easier. Her jr is way faster than any car I have. 8.88 @ 74 in the 1/8th. I think having experience on a closed course will take a little rush out of racing the tahoe or my truck.

Dr: Yup, 2.75x3 blockzilla. We also have a McGee PM1 3.25x3 ready for 7.9 class in two years

gun-driver: I just got some stuff from them, although most of my orders go through Huddleston Performance.
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2012 at 11:42pm
haha, its a gamble...her friends can't sit in the back seat of the dragster and yell things like, I thought you drive fast!
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2012 at 1:35am
Josh - You are a cool dad!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2012 at 10:54am
I just try to be a good dad. Giving them something exciting to do that not many have the opportunity to do. This is the ultimate blackmail for getting good grades and cleaning their rooms!
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2017 at 2:19pm
5 years and still going. Got a couple requests for updates on our racing career. Both daughters are currently racing Jr Dragsters. Newer, bigger, badder engines. 3-5/16" bore, 3" stroke alcohol "Briggs", custom built off the 5hp Briggs. 53 hp @ 8300 rpm.

The girls have accumulated tons of trophies, 1 track championship, 3 Midwest division championships, and made it down to 5 cars at the National Championships. At 15 and 13, I couldn't ask for much more out of kids in competition.
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2017 at 2:32pm
We're also on Facebook @MooreFamilyRacingIA

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2017 at 2:54pm
So Cool!
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2017 at 5:18pm
So Awesome Josh,    Early fun motorsports will make the daughters much better drivers.
But do keep an eye out, cause one of them may develop a lead-foot later on.

But dragsters instead of karts, it might already be too late.
Keep it....from sinkin'
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2017 at 5:53pm
They like to go fast. 1/8 mile in 7.90@83mph. 7.90 is the limit on how fast the NHRa allow us to run. They have 60 and 90 lbs worth of lead on their cars to slow them down. We adjust that for hp factors due to weather. 1 lb = .008 seconds in the 1/8th mile.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2017 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

So Cool!

Absolutely!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2017 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by Hawktique Hawktique wrote:

They like to go fast. 1/8 mile in 7.90@83mph. 7.90 is the limit on how fast the NHRa allow us to run. They have 60 and 90 lbs worth of lead on their cars to slow them down. We adjust that for hp factors due to weather. 1 lb = .008 seconds in the 1/8th mile.

Amazing that you can call it that precise. So is traction/slip an issue? are they shifter cars? if you are time limited, them it must all come down to driving and then that stuff really becomes important. Lot of great stuff for the girls to be learning!
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2017 at 7:28pm
Looks like fun.   My son started racing shifter karts at about 12yrs old.   Unfortunately that experience didn't help him when he started driving.   He tried to pull 3g's through a turn in the truck we bought him and it didn't end well.   No injuries but the truck was a write-off.

Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2017 at 7:34pm
Fantastic that they both appear to be wrenching in the last photo.   Certainly great experiences for them to draw on when they're older.    

Desert Skier - YIKES!
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2017 at 8:22pm
They are definitely no strangers to wrenching on race cars.

Clutches are CVT like on snowmobiles. As precise as this game is, traction/clutch tune/carb adjustments/ car weight etc, we can usually hold the cars within 1-2 hundredths on any given run. Reaction times need to be dialed into about 1-3 hundredths to have a chance. Every hundredth is worth a foot at the finish line.

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2017 at 8:44pm
You should be both proud of them but also proud of yourself as a dad. You have given those two so much to build on . From respect for themselves to other racers and the life skills of lessons here are too long to list.
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic