Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wake skiing

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
Maximal691 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximal691 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wake skiing
    Posted: February-23-2012 at 3:18pm
Does anyone here wake ski? I'm thinking about picking up a pair for this season to try it out.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 3:28pm
Yes, myself and a couple friends dabble a little.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximal691 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 3:38pm
How is it? Im an avid park rat on snow skis, I was hoping this would be somewhat similar.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 3:42pm
HA! you may love it. I'm ok with wakeskiing. I grew up waterskiing, started wakeboarding when I was 14, snowboarding when I was 18. As far as doing stuff ie: inverts/spins/ramps I feel much more capable with my feet strapped in. That being said, on wakeskis and snow skis(just picked that up this year) I get scared to death. I do water ski jump (front flip, heli spin) over the ramp so I'm ok there but the wakeskis are intimidating to me.

Being a park snow skier you may pick these things up right away. We're having a good time riding them though. Want a used pair? I could sell you mine to try out
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximal691 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 4:09pm
Ive been skiing since I was 3, so Im way more comfortable on the snow than water. What do you have for wake skis? How much are you looking to get? One thing I'm concerned about are knee injuries. On snow skis you have din settings so most of the time the ski comes off before your knee bends the other direction.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 4:14pm
Mine are the first ones that HO made in 2008. On my phone now so I'll get you some more info when I'm back on the PC. And yes... The knees are what scare me too...
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 4:24pm
Maybe someone can explain to me the appeal of these things... what can they do that traditional trick skis cant?
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 4:31pm
Tim, you can do quite a bit of things on these skis. They compare to twin tip snow skis, and also like having two wakeboards on your feet...to keep it simple.

the skis in this video are the same ones I own.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximal691 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 4:35pm
That was the video that got the whole idea rolling for me.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 4:38pm
I was very tempted to pick up a pair at one point, to try them out, but the entry cost is a little high. I would have been more apt to pull the trigger if there was some way to try them first.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 4:42pm
They were very expensive. ($400 blank) I'm going to the Wisconsin Water Ski Federation Expo this weekend, same place my friend and I originally went in on my pair back in 2008. They were the first pair in IA...still might be one of the only pairs. The best thing to do is grab a buddy and go in on them together. See if you like them or not.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximal691 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 4:54pm
I have a hard enough time getting my friends to pay for their own beers, let alone skis.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

Tim, you can do quite a bit of things on these skis. They compare to twin tip snow skis, and also like having two wakeboards on your feet...to keep it simple.

the skis in this video are the same ones I own.

I cant check out the video... I realize you can probably do a bit with them. My question is what they can do that traditional trick skis cant?

It seems like whoever invented these things may not have realized that trick skis already existed. And maybe the people who buy them dont know it either! But I havent used them... so enlighten me!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by Maximal691 Maximal691 wrote:

I have a hard enough time getting my friends to pay for their own beers, let alone skis.

If I can get gas money from my friends/family then I'm happy.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 5:21pm
Wake skiing.

Longer, fins on each side, foam core, light, pop, 3-stage or continuous rocker, what else..

With wakeskis you can ride at 80ft and 24mph just like a wakeboard. Bigger the wake the better. Basically, every trick you can do on a wakeboard it is possible to do on wakeskis. Granted...I find doing those tricks is much more difficult on these things than my WB. Maybe cuz I still suck at it I dunno.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 5:52pm
get a trick ski, much cheaper way to go about it

the wake skis would be fun at a cable park
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 5:55pm

Wake skiing.

Longer, fins on each side, foam core, light, pop, 3-stage or continuous rocker, what else..

With wakeskis you can ride at 80ft and 24mph just like a wakeboard. Bigger the wake the better. Basically, every trick you can do on a wakeboard it is possible to do on wakeskis. Granted...I find doing those tricks is much more difficult on these things than my WB. Maybe cuz I still suck at it I dunno.

Gotcha, that makes sense.

If I come across someone who has a pair, Id like to give them a try... otherwise, I think I'll stick with conventional tricks.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 6:03pm
If I thought trick skiing was just as much fun/exciting to show others thats what I would have done. but...trick skiing is about as lame as tubing...IMO
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 6:28pm
Tim, picked up a pair of the Body Glove version of these, not quite the same as the HO or Connelly versions, but very similar. They are much easier to ride in a straight line, on an edge and would probably be easier landing aerials, then a standard trick ski. They are fun to ride however IMO are nothing more then a prerequisite to trick skiing.

Regarding knee injuries, anytime you are on a pair of anything that danger will exist if either ski gets in back or front of the other, believe me, I know!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 6:39pm

If I thought trick skiing was just as much fun/exciting to show others thats what I would have done. but...trick skiing is about as lame as tubing...IMO

Wow, as accomplished of a skier you are I'm rather flabbergasted by this. Clearly you do not have the patience to trick ski, which is probably why you don't think it is impressive either. I think any trick skier enjoys watching other trick skiers, no matter their level. Not all skiing is for show either. I got a couple friends trick skiing this summer and it was possibly the most fun I had on the water all year.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 6:43pm

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Wow, as accomplished of a skier you are I'm rather flabbergasted by this. Clearly you do not have the patience to trick ski, which is probably why you don't think it is impressive either. I think any trick skier enjoys watching other trick skiers, no matter their level. Not all skiing is for show either. I got a couple friends trick skiing this summer and it was possibly the most fun I had on the water all year.

+1
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I don't think having the patience is the correct term. I think more uninterested is. Guess I could try it but there are so many other things I would rather be doing. Sorry to knock it without being any good at it. (I can spin on one and two and do wake 180's) but that's beginner stuff compared to some of the greats. I dunno, just wasn't for me! I'm weird though, 90% of you guys have probably attended a 3-event tournament once in your lives...I never have, never have skied the slalom course either, although I would LOVE to give that a shot just to say I can do it!

'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 6:48pm
Never tried trick skiing, but I can remember as a kid spotting for my neighbor. I definitely liked the boat speed etc. of slalom compared to it. I remember thinking it was a lot of slow driving, then stopping and circling back. Of course, seeing some of the stuff pro-level skiers pull off... that's a whole different ballgame.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 6:48pm

I think more uninterested is. Guess I could try it

Well that explains it. I think you'd gain a lot of respect for trick skiing if you put more time into it, especially on 1 ski.

never have skied the slalom course either, although I would LOVE to give that a shot just to say I can do it!

I'd LOVE to watch you attempt your first pass as well.

You can slalom and barefoot rather sloppy and still make a pass. Gotta be fearless to jump, but trick skiing requires a lot of patience and a certain amount of eloquence to be successful, neither of which can be faked.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 6:50pm
You're right HW, I wouldn't have the patience to trick ski/be good at it. I usually just go balls to the wall, get tired right away and mad when I can't do something. I can turn 180 on a swivel ski. How's that for a trick?
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 7:00pm
I'd put swiveling right up there with tricking. I swiveled once with M3Fan on a cold October day. My foot cramped up immediately after shoehorning it into the binding. Miserable, yet humbling experience. I was all over the damn place. I nearly pissed my pants (in the drysuit) watching Joel get up and ride it completely crouched down dragging his back leg around the whole time. He couldn't stand up. That night we went to Magicman's halloween party and drank away our sorrows. Johnny tried it too, I know there was video of it but not sure if it's around anymore.

When I first learned what trick skiing was everyone was just using 1. I tried it and thought the same thing as you, WOW, this is not for me never gonna happen... Months later I saw an eBay ad for a pair of trick skis. OH, so this is how you learn to trick ski. Made sense, you don't learn to slalom ski right off the bat either. I just never thought of using 2 trick skis.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 7:03pm
bahahha so funny...very similar to my experiences other than the drysuit thing. Shoehorn was almost necessary. Did one 180 and back and quit. I had tried for years before that and probably just got lucky. Those girls are awesome at swiveling, it's incredibly difficult but man I can't stand watching it over and over again!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 7:06pm
I'll watch and drive swivel all day, you can have your sausage fest!
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 7:08pm
The only thing worse than driving for swivel, is driving for swivel in the rain.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 1:33am
You guys got me interested in trick skiing. Found this video, has a catchy beat as well:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic