Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Speaker Boxes

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
newguy1986 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speaker Boxes
    Posted: February-24-2012 at 2:41pm
I plan on making speaker boxes for the boat instead of mounting the speakers in the side of the boat.

I have searched and search in the site for sound system installation pointers as I am not an expert and im looking for some ideas on this or to talk to some one who has done it. I was also looking at mounting a wired remote for the head unit by the back seat in one of the speaker boxes so that friends can change to tunes.

I am having the battery box expanded to hold two batteries. Need to figure out how im going to wire all that up as well

what are some of the things you all have learned or wished you would have done different during your audio system installs?

any one got any advice? pics?
1986sn 2001
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 3:56pm
I am working on mine as we speak. Nothing too big, 4 speakers, head unit, 300w amp and a 10 in sub. I am keeping it small so I dont need additional battery or bigger alternator. It will be fine for my purposes, I dont see any need for a 1000W system etc, just makes thing harder/more expensive. For my purposes this will be more than adequate and I will only have about 300 dollars in everything.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 4:33pm
If you decide to get into a multiple battery system, it gets complex but it's do-able. Your stereo battery would be like your "house" battery on a cabin cruiser, and you'd still want to retain your starting battery for the engine.

There are switches available, and little electronic gizmos that keep track of getting charge to the batteries. That stuff makes my brain hurt a little.

I think TXFoilHead in JoeinNY have multiple battery setups for their stereos. Of course, the new blinged out wakeboard boats can have this setup. You may want to pick up a book like this Boat Owners Electical Handbook. I haven't read that one, but I've read others, it helps to have some background.

You'd really want to layout a master plan, before you start buying a lot of stuff.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 5:00pm
JLLOGAN- do you mind listing out your system?
1986sn 2001
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 5:25pm
sure nothing too exciting sony dsx-m60 head/ipod thingy, I used 6 in polkdb in the back of combing pad where PO cut a hole. Then I am in the process of making a custom fiberglass box for a 4 in polk db on the port side and on the starboard its going under the shifter area to the right in custom console with 12v power, my perfect pass display and a small glove box. Then I have a polk db 10 inch sub going in a custom fiberglass box up under the bow on the airbox with a polk PA330 300watt amp.

Thats the basics of it. Nothing too crazy but it will get the job done. I went with smaller speakers up front figuring the sub would help with the low end. I also went with a low wattage amp because I didnt want to tax the electrical system. Its not really designed for a stereo. Thats my thoughts by far not the best system out there but I got most of it on ebay and my total cost is under $300.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 5:27pm
oh I am mounting the front speaker boxes with threaded rods fiberglassed to the hull. I got that idea from someone here on the site, Tim maybe.

The boxes will be like this basically
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 5:31pm
Justin,

One thing you could do, and I got this idea from the way M3Fan wired up his Perfect Pass.

You could run a dedicated feed from your battery to your stereo system. Then, have that source turned on and off with a relay, that could be switched by your key, or better yet, by a spare accessory button.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 5:34pm
I did that exact thing and while I was fiberglassing the boat I cut a groove in it and put it under the carpet and then behind the kick panel directly from the battery box.

This greatly reduced the length of the run from the battery therefore reducing power loss. My total length to the amp will be like 2-3ft.

I thought about adding that to my custom console. Two toggle switches, one for PP and one for the amp. Does the PP have alot of draw, should it have a dedicated power source or do you think it could share with the amp? I figure a 300W amp wont have alot of draw to it.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 5:45pm
Here are the rings for the boxes

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 5:46pm
Here is the link for the speaker box I made using carbon fiber. I have since done the same thing to the drivers side sliding the 'lip' under the morse throttle control and using the combing pad trees and bolts for the morse to hold the box into place.

88' Speakerbox
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 5:47pm
It (the Perfect Pass) seems to have a pretty strong draw, although I'm not sure about the exact specs. It was enough that it was causing some headaches until I re-enforced the ground to my dash. If it's not getting enough voltage it likes to keep beeping at you. I would think you'd be ok with a clean feed from the battery, even if it is shared.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

88' Speakerbox

Wow, that's pretty slick
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 5:58pm
I have some fiber laying around. I have thought about covering the boxes I make with carbon fiber. Maybe Ill just gel coat them or paint. Havent decided.
Maximal691 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximal691 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2012 at 1:49pm
I'm running 4 mtx thunder 6.5's cut into the gunwales. If I could do it again I would have built boxes. It's not that I don't like the locations, it's just that I don't think they fit that well. I'm running the 4 6.5s in the boat, 2 6.5s on the tower and a 10" sub. I'm going deckless with a line in to the amp.
oledb4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledb4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2012 at 3:18pm
I am looking to add a stereo system as well and had some questions. This was a diagram I drew up at work the other day. I want to either build or buy some boxes to fit under the gunnels, with a net between them for storage space. I also want to add a cup holder for the folks in the back. Of course I would run this on both sides. This seems like a simple project, but I'm not all that crafty and wanted some advice.

My biggest question is how I will mount all this to the boat. I want to run 4 speakers in the boat, and eventually some tower speakers. I have 2 10" subs and a 980 watt amp I have from a set up I had in my car. I was thinking of maybe running 1 sub, definitely not both. Is that too much amp? I am thinking potentially 6 speakers and a sub that it might not be too much. But I'm not sure. And I'm assuming if I run this much that I should run a separate battery?

Any thoughts/concerns are greatly appreciated!

And btw it is an '86 Nautique 2001.

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2012 at 9:05pm
ya I think you are gonna need a separate battery for that. I made fiberglass boxes for mine that fit up under the gunwale. I covered them in carbon fiber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2012 at 12:32pm
oledb4 - I really like your idea. the cup holder is a must! gottaq protect those cold ones!

I am running a sperate battery as the new floor will have a new battery box that will hold two.

i wont have any of the posts fiberglassed in the hull like stated above. i wish i would have planned that out though. seems like a great way.
I guess there is some way you could get them attached to the gunnels. Ill keep brain storming. Its tough with out the boat to figure out an attachment meathod.

1986sn 2001
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2012 at 2:28pm
maybe something that would go up into the gunnel and expand. Like a turnbuckle. It is mostly foam up there, maybe you could foam it in or glue something up there.
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2012 at 6:18pm
Can't remember where, maybe on CCF, but I saw somewhere where they had glued some bolts with very large backer like heads on them to the fiberglass hull with epoxy under the combing pads. Then they just cut small holes in the carpet and poked the bolts through. Then mount the speaker boxes to the bolts and then the speakers to the box.

Maybe someone recalls seeing this as well and can pull up the pictures.
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2012 at 6:47pm
Here is how the rear speakers are mounted in the back of my 88. I have the standard Bench seat in mine. The white square is a fold up cup holder and the slots hold whatever you can fit in there. Usually the skiers sunglasses, flatblade screwdriver for tightening Wakeboard bindings, docking ropes, what ever. The speakers have since been upgraded to Polk Momo marine grade speakers but you get the general idea.

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2012 at 9:19pm
Looks like a beer bong under the gunnel...any chance thats original?
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2012 at 9:30pm
This has got me to thinking. I have the same issue, how to make a box for the speakers? I also want to keep it looking as original as possible, not a huge issue because it came with speakers. Right now I have some tupperware bins behind the pads and it definately makes a improvement. The problem, besides being such a ghetto solution, is they are about half the recommended size.

A free form fiberglass box that hangs on the gunwhale might just be the answer. I've been thinking about how hard it would be to make in wood and how to attach them. Fiberglass would be lighter and because it would be thinner than wood I could get more interior space.

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2012 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Looks like a beer bong under the gunnel...any chance thats original?

Sorry Chris it's just the hose for the fat sac pump. I gave up the beer bong in college and graduated to this....

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2012 at 10:33pm

I gave up the beer bong in college and graduated to this....

Tim,
Damn, you are taking my memory back at least 35 years!! Yes, the good old days did have some good times but, we all need to get down to reality hopefully sooner than later!

Beer bong?? Man, we just put water in the bong and drank the beer!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2012 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I gave up the beer bong in college and graduated to this....

Tim,
Damn, you are taking my memory back at least 35 years!! Yes, the good old days did have some good times but, we all need to get down to reality hopefully sooner than later!

Beer bong?? Man, we just put water in the bong and drank the beer!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic