NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vinyl wrapping?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
W.U.S.S. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.U.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vinyl wrapping?
    Posted: February-24-2012 at 2:53pm
I have a 93 SNCB and am considering wrapping my boat with vinyl.

Currently my boat is red, black and white. I really love the color combo, but my red has faded.

Every spring I buff and wax, but it only seams to last for a few weeks, than it has faded again. Also, to compound my problem, the graphics are peeling off one sied of my boat (I think they have been replaced once). I am not able to find replacement graphics.

I wouldn;t mind changing the graphics, but I am concerened that you will be able to see the outline of the old graphics.

I have had some minor experienced in wet sanding, but am concerened I might burn through the color too deep.

Does anyone have experience with vinyl wrapping, good or bad?

Thanks,
Pauly
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 3:08pm
Vinyl wrapping is expensive and damages easy. I would concentrate on restoring your gelcoat instead.

By the sounds of it, youre not buffing properly to remove the dull or oxidized finish. Waxing is really just meant to protect the hull from the elements, but it can provide a little bit of gloss and shine... but it wont provide long lasting results if applied over a dull surface.

I would recommend reading up on how to restore your gel. Lots of good info on this website, with recommended products and tools to achieve a long lasting look.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 4:06pm
When I 1st got mine it was in horrible shape.Tried the buffing route,while it did help it was not the answer,it never lasted.Wet sanding really helped and made the color jump out.I would not compare a 60's boat to yours and I don't think I'd try it on later model but I was down to 220 grit on the lower hull.I followed with 400,600,1000 and 2000. Red no matter if gel or paint was always a color that faded easily until clear coat came along.Try some 1000 on a out of the way spot before you do anything else.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 4:19pm
my black was light gray it was so bad. I hit it with 400 and went up from there. Still looks great a year later.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 4:21pm
If gel is laid too thick, it will crack. I would not expect a boat from the late 60's (once CC had a few years of glass experience) to have a significantly different layer of gel than a modern boat. Ive heard its always been about .030" thick. I wetsanded my '90 down to 320 grit without issue. You need to hit gel hard- its very tough and very thick!
msanautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msanautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 7:41pm
Just wrapped my 84 Barefoot windshield frame with oracal 975 carbon fiber wrap and looks great. forget removing the windshield and powder coating !!!! Wrap it !!!!!!!!!!!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by msanautique msanautique wrote:

Just wrapped my 84 Barefoot windshield frame with oracal 975 carbon fiber wrap and looks great. forget removing the windshield and powder coating !!!! Wrap it !!!!!!!!!!!

How about some close up pictures?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msanautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2012 at 11:56pm
Soon!!!!!
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2012 at 12:41am
X2 on the pics
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

newguy1986 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2012 at 12:44pm
I plan on going to wet sanding meathod aswell when my 1986 gets back from the shop. I have no experience in the matter but i have heard the gel is so thick that its tough to really do any damage. I have been told when you are wet sanding and you think you are done, keep sanding.... haha
1986sn 2001
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2012 at 6:06pm
I have found that you really only need to worry about corners and edges. Seems the top layer (or bottom layer depending how you look at it) is thinner in those areas.
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
Maximal691 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximal691 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2012 at 6:41pm
Vinyl fades over time and scrapes easily. Are you planning on doing the whole boat or just the stripe? I thought about it for just the stripe on my boat, and doing some crazy print on it but have put that idea on hold. If its the whole boat it probably isnt worth it. Unless you have a friend who is in the business.
Maximal691 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximal691 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2012 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by msanautique msanautique wrote:

Did you ever use 3m dinoc for carbon wrapping? I thought about doing my dash with it to cover the faux woodgrain.
Scottie m View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottie m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2012 at 11:55pm
I've detailed cars for years,,
And I would take off the old lettering ( a heat gun or hair drier will help with the lettering)
and all the adhesive Left behind. ( isopropic Achol will help with the adhesive)
Then take a buffing wheel with a wool pad and a gritty
Liquid rubbing compound and buff the area. ( being very careful around
Edges!!!!) then go over everything again with a foam buffing pad
And a 3M product called finess it.
Then wash the residue off. And go over the area you are going to re letter
With isopropic Achol ( to remove any wax )
It takes lots of time makes a mess but will look great when your done!!!!
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2012 at 11:28am
Here is Mark's Carbon Fiber Project

66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2012 at 5:09pm
Step back ant take another one. I ned to do something with mine soon.
jbach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2012 at 6:57pm
i'd also like to see some more pictures of that carbon fiber windshield wrap and how it's done.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2012 at 7:51pm
Looks pretty good! interesting alternative.

W.U.S.S. my guy does the 91-93 Graphic.
Oletela View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oletela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2012 at 8:55pm
I was considering painting my frame teal to match the stripe in my hull and then a light coat of tint. That carbon fiber looks pretty good tho.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2012 at 9:00pm
Paint the frame. The carbon wrap isn't original!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msanautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2012 at 3:29am
no it's not original, But looks much nicer, and if I decide too go back too original, I can remove it easily. The frame on my boat is in perfect shape and original, I wrapped it because I like the look and it's easy too install. I understand the original thing but some times originals boring!!! Just Saying.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2012 at 12:06pm
MSA - Looks good, it's your boat...whoop it up!

Frames look great...but it would be great to have a not-so-up-clse pic to get the overall look.....does it sparkle more than original? Have a sheen?

This has inspired me to go crazy too..... I am actually going to replace my exhaust manifold plugs, which had interior square sockets, for ones which have exterior hex heads........ They aren't original but they are too fun to pass up!

Nice job MSA.....
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2012 at 7:08pm
A friend of mine had his hull wrapped three years ago.
A wrapping company that also does cars did it for him to make publicity for their company.
I must say, it still looks like new after three years of intensive use (he has a waterski school)...

If ever my red midsection would become dull again, I'm really inclined to put a wrap on that section. Because I'm not sure I would go through the wetsanding purgatory again...

And as stated before, if I want to go back to original, just take the wrap off...

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2012 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Kristof Kristof wrote:

..If ever my red midsection would become dull again, I'm really inclined to put a wrap on that section. Because I'm not sure I would go through the wetsanding purgatory again...

Kristof,
You had better get your ass over here again for one of the reunions. Then, I can beat on you for suggesting something that's not original!!    

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2012 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Kristof,
You had better get your ass over here again for one of the reunions. Then, I can beat on you for suggesting something that's not original!!    

Gee Pete... Really looking forward to that...   

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic