NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1977 Ski Nautique Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 7>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 11:09am
Looking good! A few questions/comments:

1. You mentioned the exhaust cavities... good- you dont want to leave them full width at the front and have holes poking out from underneath the motorbox!

2. Why the dip in stringer (forward of the engine?)? Are you doubling up the floor in this area? I assume you are going foamless and a coosa floor over everything.

3. No drain holes in the ribs/bulkheads? Might want to add some so that *if* water ever makes it below the floor, all the cavities will drain together.

4. How do you plan to mount the engine? Lag into the coosa? I dont see any provisions for an engine cradle?
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 12:21pm

1. You mentioned the exhaust cavities... good- you dont want to leave them full width at the front and have holes poking out from underneath the motorbox!

Yes, I would love to keep them full width, but after our earlier conversation about it I went and measured. You were right it is narrower, so the cavities will go back. They will be a little different though. Where the removable panel starts and the floor is cut back and an angle is where the cavity will end. At that point the cavity will be full width and removable will span the entire width.

2. Why the dip in stringer (forward of the engine?)? Are you doubling up the floor in this area? I assume you are going foamless and a coosa floor over everything.

Yes and Yes. There will be 3/4 sub and then the 1/2 over the entire floor. The removable panel aft of the engine will also be 3/4. I still think I will refoam the bow forward of the battery box.

3. No drain holes in the ribs/bulkheads? Might want to add some so that *if* water ever makes it below the floor, all the cavities will drain together.

Everything will drain except for the bow. I am probably going to foam the bow so it will be sealed. But everything from that forward bulkhead aft will drain into the bilge. I have cut the original drain holes in primaries and added drains in the secondaries in the middle and aft. All ribs will have drain notches cut in them. This has not happened yet, but is a simple task.

4. How do you plan to mount the engine? Lag into the coosa? I dont see any provisions for an engine cradle?

My plan for now is to try and keep the mounting like it was. I am not real familiar with engine cradles and such so I am not going to change it that much. I have reservations regarding the longevity of lags straight into the coosa, so I am thinking that I will drill the mounting holes out and then fill with thickened epoxy and then remount. I am also going to lag the horizontal wholes in the mount. The engine and gear will sit on a 1/4 piece of flat bar that will rest on the stringer.

What do you think about these plans. Thanks for posting and asking. Allen
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by HatterBee HatterBee wrote:

Yes, I would love to keep them full width, but after our earlier conversation about it I went and measured. You were right it is narrower, so the cavities will go back. They will be a little different though. Where the removable panel starts and the floor is cut back and an angle is where the cavity will end. At that point the cavity will be full width and removable will span the entire width.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what youre saying. I fail to see how the removable panel can be full width at the front edge though. The front edge of that panel needs to extend further forward than the rear edge of the motorbox (so you can mount the hinges to it). The way Im picturing it, your plan would either leave the panel short of the motorbox, or have a portion of the full width cavities under the motorbox (which would allow you to see the cavities with the box closed. Or am I missing something?

Sounds good on #2 and #3.

Originally posted by HatterBee HatterBee wrote:

My plan for now is to try and keep the mounting like it was. I am not real familiar with engine cradles and such so I am not going to change it that much. I have reservations regarding the longevity of lags straight into the coosa, so I am thinking that I will drill the mounting holes out and then fill with thickened epoxy and then remount. I am also going to lag the horizontal wholes in the mount. The engine and gear will sit on a 1/4 piece of flat bar that will rest on the stringer.

I would be concerned about lagging into the coosa as well- both in the vertical and horizontal directions. That is the one shortcoming of the material- screw retention. Predrilling larger holes and filling with thickened resin may be an ok approach- Joe or Pete may be able to comment better on that. Through bolting would be much preferred, obviously.

Were you planning on lagging the engine directly to the stringers, or was it going to sit on the floor? If the former, then you would need some nailers to support the floor where it would come short of the motor mounts, right?
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 3:29pm
Tim i will drawn a picture of what I am talking about in the exhaust cavity. But for now...The original cavity towards the engine is reduced in size to about 4 inches and where the motor box mounts it is enlarged by about 2 inches which gives the removable panel the 45 degree angle at the back corner of the motor box. At this point the exhaust cavity is only 1-1/2 inches less in size than at the rear (in between the secondary and main stringers). I don't see the point in this except to keep the removable panel narrower. Instead of making the additional step in size at the back of the motor box I will take it all the way to the secondary. I know pictures will help here.

If you remember on the mains I did put two pieces of 3/4 together and in the middle I have two layers of cloth to help but I am still a little uncertain about the longevity. I guess if I thru-bolt I could use Eric's idea of drilling a whole in the bottom and then I would place a piece of round stock (SS) in and tap it. I will be placing the engine on the stringers just like it was and yes there will be a "nailer" glassed on the inside of the main to support the floor in that area.

Thanks again for all the questions and help.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 4:03pm
I think I understand what youre saying on the exhaust pockets. There is more than one jog in them... and youre eliminating the one towards the rear and keeping the pocket wider for longer. That sounds fine, so long as the width of the front end that corresponds to the motorbox width remains.

On the engine install, yes, I remember that you laminated 2 pieces of 3/4" with cloth. I would still have reservations with lagging into them if you had 3 layers of 1/2" and glass between them all (as we did on the BFN). The glass certainly helps with screw retention, but thats in the lateral direction, not the "end grain" (lagging from the top).

With the nailers already planned for the floor around the motor mounts, Ive got some ideas on how you could add some cradle-like mounting features. It gets a little tricky with notching the stringers, gaining access to the nuts on the through bolts, and some more complex nailers, but its possible. Ive been contemplating what the best way to do this would be, as Ive got a boat or 2 that will need rebuilding that didnt originally have cradles. Let me know if you want to discuss this in more detail.
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 4:04pm
Ok Tim here are some pics and a drawing.

Please I know I am not an artist. In this drawing you will see the original layout to the left. On the right is the new layout I plan to use. There will be a "nailer" or support glassed on the inboard side of the secondary to support the removable panel.

The red line shows where the change will be.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 4:05pm
^^Yup, I understood you correctly and agree that your approach on the pockets is fine^^
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 4:06pm
Sure Tim I would live to hear your ideas. I am always open to new ideas.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 5:48pm
Allen It is looking good glad you decided to go the composite route, I like the dash pod you made for the speedos too ! Keep posting the photos of your progress. Mike
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2012 at 1:02am
Thanks Mike. Been on vacation last week. Back in the country now and making my way back to NC. I will continue the work later this week.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 1:01am
Well folks I finally got back into the grove and did some work on the '77. I got all the support ribs and bulkheads glassed in. I received my PVC hose for the forward air-ducts and the aluminum angle for the engine bracket today. I will begin to work on the air-ducts and cradle and then I cam finish the airbox and start working on the subfloor and then move my way back to the rest of the floor. Here are some pics of the bulkheads and ribs.

1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 11:47am
Looking good!

Are you still considering adding a cradle of some sort?
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2012 at 4:02pm
Yes I am going to use the plan you suggested. I was able to get 2X4 angle and will use a piece of it to tie in the pylon. I also found some 2 1/2 in suction hose for the airducts. In saw a good pic on the LVL restringer thread that showed the notches in the stringers and good shots of the cradle.   
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2012 at 12:51am
Well it was mighty hot outside today, but I was home alone so getting some work done was a priority.

I finished all the grinding that was left up forward. I got the sub-floor (second layer of floor under seats) fitted and glassed the under-side. I also got my forward floor support glassed in and the forward floor (air-box) fitted along with the air-duct and wire chase. I also glassed the under-side of this piece.

I started to sand and fair the forward bilge area where the pylon is so I can paint this before the sub-floor goes in (this is still a ways off but wanted to start).

Next order of business is to install the forward floor panel, finish the battery box, fair and paint the battery box and forward part of the bilge, build the engine cradle, then I ca start on the floor sections.

Thanks for looking, Allen
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2012 at 10:58pm
Well I have a couple more things to add!!!

Got the engine cradle cut and welded today. It is dry fitted in the photos (thanks Tim for all your help here, I think this will work great). I have started to sand and prep the forward bilge for paint and may get the first coat on tomorrow. I will also bed the forward floor (air-box) tomorrow. The battery box is coming along and the only thing left there is to bed and glass the bottom. Then prep and paint as well.

1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2012 at 11:38pm
Allen, looks awesome. Did you notch the stringers for the underside of your motor mounts yet? Still going to make some pockets on each side to access the cradle bolts?
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2012 at 11:44pm
I have not notched the stringers yet, need to make sure I get them in the right places. I worked on an 84 the other day and took note of how they were on that boat. Yes I am going to make the pockets to be able to thru bolt.

Thanks again. Allen
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2012 at 11:55pm
Nice! In that case you may want to hold off on the bilge paint until you're done glassing...I assume that's how you'll finish off those pockets?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2012 at 12:28am
Allen, Looking great !!
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2012 at 1:06am
Allen, Excellent work on a nice restoration project.
Thanks.......Tom
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2012 at 1:52am
Thanks guys. It has been nice getting back on the project. I did get the forward floor glassed in today in between rain showers. Wont get to work on it again until Sunday at the earliest. But the next step is to paint the forward part of the bilge so I can set the sub-floor, then I can start working on the rest of the floor. The remainder of the bilge will be painted after the floor is finished.

Thanks again, Allen.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2012 at 9:02am
It's always a pleasure to see great projects like this come out looking fantastic. Keep up the good work to bring another old CC back.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2012 at 10:42pm
Had a chance to see Allen's project firsthand this evening. Wow...some great work going into that boat. I drove over and got the tour. I don't have a boat and just drool over all of the projects on this site. This was the first stringer job in my area that I could take a look at. Thanks Allen for showing me around. I look forward to seeing the project progress. If you ever need some help putting her in the water just give me a ring! -David
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 12:34am
Originally posted by samudj01 samudj01 wrote:

Had a chance to see Allen's project firsthand this evening. Wow...some great work going into that boat. I drove over and got the tour. I don't have a boat and just drool over all of the projects on this site. This was the first stringer job in my area that I could take a look at. Thanks Allen for showing me around. I look forward to seeing the project progress. If you ever need some help putting her in the water just give me a ring! -David

David-- I'm just down the road a bit--- Come on over and see and drive the Skylark
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 12:44am
Its funny Marty, I told David you might come over today and he said that he would like to chat with more folks on here.

David, it was nice to have someone over to check the project. You are welcome anytime, I can always use some help with grinding

1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

77Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 5:29am
Allen, Just spent last hour catching up on your 77 SN, looks great! I am just getting started on Floor Restore on a 77 American Skier that I have owned since 1979 2nd Owner. Also using Airex/Penske from Composites One(Thanks Michael) I am in LKN Mooresville area and travel to WS frequently, love to see project in person. TRBenj, any other ideas about motor mounts into Airex without using cradle. trying to Look original after the completion.

Butch T.
Butch T
77Skier
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 11:41pm
Butch, you are more than welcome to come by just shoot me an email when you think you may come by. awilson at hatterbeemarine.com
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2012 at 2:31am
Butch, glad to help you out with the materials the other day and great to meet another CCF in my area. Allen has done a nice job on his SN he could be a big help with advise too on your American Skier. Post some photos of yours soon.
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2013 at 6:18pm
Well guys I know its been a while but I've been so busy with other things. Plus the weather has not been conducive for much work on the boat. I have been working pretty hard on the engine. I have gotten it together and IT RUNS!!..   However I think the front seal is leaking . I ran it in the driveway for about ten minutes total and noticed a little oil coming from the front seal. It never leaked enough to drip on the pavement but its there. Dont know what I will do for know, I'm going to keep an eye on it for the next few times I fire it up. Had a water leaks as well but I did get those fixed.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Enjoy the pics, I will load a link to youtube of a video soon!!

1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-06-2013 at 7:52pm
Maybe you could try a speedi-sleave to fix the front CS leak.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic