Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gas prices

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2223242526>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 1:58pm
Your right about it being $300 burger, they are predicting $8 per gal for AvGas, and at 8 gal/hour... I am a partner in a SkyHawk2, perhaps the most boring airplane ever built. I have time in citabria, cubs, stearman, T6, Kit fox, thorp's, Skybolt, Lancair and few others. The flying part of the BFR went great, just have to wrap up the ground.

I like those Luscombe, but for 2 seat tail dragger, I really like the tandem seating; its just a little more comfortable. That will be a fun ride (but long) from Dayton to Chicago area in the Luscombe.

I am going to try and make the April 4th Chicago Beers, hope to meet you there.
wingwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 2:16pm
Avgas where I buy it is $5.05 self serve with a $150 limit per card swipe, pretty sad when it takes two swipes to fill up. That's the cheapest around here. In Tampa it is $7.50-$8.00.

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Your right about it being $300 burger, they are predicting $8 per gal for AvGas, and at 8 gal/hour... I am a partner in a SkyHawk2, perhaps the most boring airplane ever built. I have time in citabria, cubs, stearman, T6, Kit fox, thorp's, Skybolt, Lancair and few others. The flying part of the BFR went great, just have to wrap up the ground.

I like those Luscombe, but for 2 seat tail dragger, I really like the tandem seating; its just a little more comfortable. That will be a fun ride (but long) from Dayton to Chicago area in the Luscombe.

I am going to try and make the April 4th Chicago Beers, hope to meet you there.

You have been around and have some great experience under your belt. Skyhawks are boring, but cheap annuals and almost no maintenance needs makes them "affordable". I had the auto gas STC on the Skyhawk. We used a private pump at The Landings by Huntley sometimes, and it kept the fuel cost down a little. I mostly ran Avgas though since it is readily available.
On the Luscombe, No, No, No, not from Dayton to Chicago. I am just stopping in Nashville on the way back from Dayton and if the weather is nice, maybe a trip around the patch. I have only seen photos of the Silvaire and it is beautiful. It looks like it is chrome plated. It made it's first trip to Oshkosh last year after a lot of spit and polish. The owner is an A&P and this is his toy, so it is reportedly like one of Pete's boats, well maybe not that good, after all, it's not a Correct Craft.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by wingwrench wingwrench wrote:

Avgas where I buy it is $5.05 self serve with a $150 limit per card swipe, pretty sad when it takes two swipes to fill up. That's the cheapest around here. In Tampa it is $7.50-$8.00.

Wow, is that a private co-op pump? That is a really good price!
Don't you work on warbirds and classics? What are you working on or flying now, if you don't mind sharing.

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 2:29pm
$5.59 in KENW (Home base) expecting $0.50 increase in next fuel delivery. Where it goes from there...

Polished AL aircraft are some of the most beautiful machines every created, I have never flown one and can't image what happens if you catch the reflection of the sun in the cowling. I bet that Luscombe is pretty darn close to one of Pete's boats, maybe his X55!
wingwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Originally posted by wingwrench wingwrench wrote:

Wow, is that a private co-op pump? That is a really good price!
Don't you work on warbirds and classics? What are you working on or flying now, if you don't mind sharing.

No, just a small city owned airport (KZPH) that understands when fuel prices go up people stop flying, when that happens the airport and it's businesses suffer. They make their money on hangar rent and other services.

I own and fly a 53 Cessna 180 and a 85hp Cub. I'm finishing up a 180hp Experimental Super Cub on amphibs and I am doing a full restoration on a D model Mustang. The Super Cub will fly this summer, the Mustang is 2-3 years out.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 3:24pm
wingwrench: Lives in Lakeland, FL, owns Classic Cessna 180 and Piper Cub, building Experimental Super Cub on Floats, Expects to complete Full Restoration on D Model Mustang in next 2 years. Other Hobbies: Water Skiing and Correct Craft Ski boats (probably lives on a lake too).

Yep - that's my dream!
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

wingwrench: Lives in Lakeland, FL, owns Classic Cessna 180 and Piper Cub, building Experimental Super Cub on Floats, Expects to complete Full Restoration on D Model Mustang in next 2 years. Other Hobbies: Water Skiing and Correct Craft Ski boats (probably lives on a lake too).

Yep - that's my dream!

I agree, pretty sweet!
I have been around aircraft all my life. My father was a WWII B24 flight instructor at Muroc where he met my mother, who was a nurse there. They used to go to the Happy Bottom Riding Club, like everyone else stationed there. He was already a pilot and aircraft owner when he signed up. I still have a short snorter that I believe has Pancho's name on it, along with some other people he knew back then. I need to pull it out again, Here is a photo of his first plane, the Stinson, and his last attached, the Skyhawk I ended up with. I miss all the times we spent together. I love the warbirds too. My father knew quite a few people who flew and restored them. The coolest was Bill Ross's P38. I can't resist a couple of photos. My mother and father have both died, but I got a lot of opportunities just by being their son.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t220/72vsonic/IMG_3467.jpg

I would love to see any photos you guys have. I guess this thread exploded long ago, so I don't know if I hijacked it or from whom. Sorry if it is inappropriate. It's just that some said airplane.

harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 4:47pm
Hyjack, NO! Just your liberal ego. The thread wasn't going your way so you change the subject. Typical.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

Hyjack, NO! Just your liberal ego. The thread wasn't going your way so you change the subject. Typical.

My VERY liberal ego does not enjoy trying to converse with a parrot. Blah Blah Blah!

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 5:28pm
This is almost on topic, we did talk about AvGas. Can you imagine the fuel bill running a Mustang, I had heard those cost close to $1k per hour to operate (and that was probably 10 years ago). Now with Avgas probably 3x... I don't know.

Aviation thread started here:

Planes, Planes, Planes
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 6:19pm
I missed Oshkosh last year, but I read that a privately owned MIG29 showed up. I don't see how even a government can afford to operate this stuff. With a fuel capacity of 1,607 gallons without the external tanks and a range of 820NM that's something over 2,000 gallons per hour I figure. I am not sure my credit card could fill it up even one time. That's a very expensive 40-50 minutes in the air! I am glad my Mustang, unlike a D model, sips fuel like a hybrid in comparison.

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 6:53pm

My VERY liberal ego does not enjoy trying to converse with a parrot. Blah Blah Blah!

A brilliant retort, if you are five years old.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

A brilliant retort, if you are five years old.

You and Harddock are like two Alzheimer's patients. If I put you two in a room together you could tell each other the same story for eternity, thinking it was new and profound each time.
Now, Over My Head, that's a name no one would self-apply where I come from. But then, there was a lot about Over My Head that didn't make a whole lot of sense to me... It seems appropriate though.

GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 9:07pm
They have the oldtimers, we suffer.
This is the life
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 9:15pm

That's pretty funny! Liberals are usually the ones that act like a dog with a bone and keep chewing and chewing, over and over.

You could always rewrite it to suit your needs.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 9:46pm
imagine how many democrats are going to buy electric planes?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 12:52am
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

imagine how many democrats are going to buy electric planes?

Most likely, quite a few, and, almost without doubt, at least as many Republicans. Consumers don't value a product or technology because it is Democratic or Republican. What the uninformed ridicule as impossible, the educated and imaginative recognize as the future. If you are not looking forward, you are moving backwards. Can you imagine if Steve Jobs had given up when most said his computers were of little value, very expensive, and didn't do much of anything? Would he then have made a really really high quality slide rule? People don't buy Ipods, Iphones, Macs, Itunes and the rest of the AAPL products because they are aligned with one party. Same is true of Microsoft, Facebook, Google, EBay, Zip2, or any of the giant success stories. They all represent a new technology that is changing the world. Look at what happened to the Kodak's, Fuji Film, Olympus, and other firms that held fast to the film format saying digital photography will never be practical. The digital revolution has changed the world, we have to anticipate the next big thing.
Electric airplanes are more than just a dream already, and with some development, may be the key to the future of recreational and G.A. flight. I anticipate within the next 5-10 years that there will be a revolution in recreational flight. I imagine a hybrid aircraft of glider design, powered by a relatively small electric motor capable of taking it to altitude and cruising on reduced or no power like a glider. The top of the large composite wing surfaces will contain photovoltaic cells providing a charging system for the batteries. An aircraft like this would qualify under the sport or recreational pilot ratings.

Your post leads me to believe that your ancestors most likely were not supporters of fire, the wheel, ballistics, horseless carriages, telegraph, electricity, flying machines, nuclear power, "thinkin machines", space travel, satellites, time dilation, nano technology, or anything else that has changed the world. Well, truth is, most people were not and did not recognize the value of these things.Those with imagination, education, and vision will inherit the world. The knuckle draggers who ridicule science will be run down by the steam roller of progress. It's all up to you! Are you a visionary, or a lemming? Would you have believed that the energy inside some specs so small that no one had ever even seen them could level a city, or power an aircraft carrier for more than 25 years without refueling?
I must admit, I am not a smart guy, but I have met some who are, and read about others. I have faith in them. I'm not betting on a better halter for your oxen to change the world.
Tell yourself, just keep drilling, you will drill yourself out of this soon, i'm sure!

Electric airplane

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 8:52am
i wonder if the righties feel the same about hunting down an animal and letting it go extinct, same theory right? they do like guns and driving big SUV's
"the things you own will start to own you"
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 2:25pm
dont you think it probably such a ridiculous statement that it was probably a joke?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 2:51pm
Peter, apparently there are some Dems that are looking forward to them.

The rate of increase seems to have slowed down and we are at high $3,70s to $3.90s for regular in Maine.

The future of all energy lies in the development anti matter. I've read that one half the size of a match head of anti matter could power the entire city of New York for 10 years. Cars could be made and sold with a life time supply of fuel. The difficulty would be making the car to last as long as the fuel supply. Obviously, the oil companies don't want this and have conspired against developing the technology.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

dont you think it probably such a ridiculous statement that it was probably a joke?

Possibly, but its closer than you think.

GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 11:02pm
A bunch of new info on Tesla Motors pretty interesting, there are some very brave people out there.

how you gonna charge it?

Down payments on electric cars
This is the life
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2012 at 12:18am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

The future of all energy lies in the development anti matter.

Didn't Disney do a movie about this stuff - called it 'Flubber'?

JK

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2012 at 11:19am
it baffles me that you guy's think technology hit a dead end street, its funny at my new job alot of their tugs were built in 1903, 1908 ish, obviously steam power and converted, all riveted on the panels, I was on one yesterday looking around and looking out the window and wound the clock back, guys would pull up in a horse and buggy to board this boat, no comm trails in the sky, probably the same steel that was used in the Titanic...but my point is look how fast and far technology has advanced since then...transportaion went from steam, to diesel and then to electric (one of the tugs does use a generator and and a electric motor for prop power..
its hard for me to imagine, that there was not some other technology thrown in there to advnce society, remember seeing Star Trek with the flip phones and all the gadgets? pretty much all came to be..
do I think they will be able to break something down into atoms and transport them to another location someday? I sure do
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2012 at 12:34pm
Eric - I don't think tech is stalled - it just may not take the direction we think. We were supposed to be flying around in Jetson cars by now - didn't happen but no one had thought a pocket computer you can do your entire job with.

I am a late adopter, it has to pencil out before I spend my cash on a new product.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2012 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Eric - I don't think tech is stalled - it just may not take the direction we think. We were supposed to be flying around in Jetson cars by now - didn't happen but no one had thought a pocket computer you can do your entire job
with.

I am a late adopter, it has to pencil out before I spend my cash on a new product.

I remember when everyone thought that d*ck Tracey's wrist TV was impossible. If all my phone did was TV, I would be pretty disappointed. I love and embrace new technology, but I still love the old boats, motorcycles, and cars. I understand why many don't like to buy the newest, sometimes you invest in the Jetson car company and it goes nowhere.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2012 at 1:22pm
Snob, i dont think i was refering to it being stalled, more or less how fast technolgy advanced in the last 40 or so years, i truly believe that things can levitate by Gyro's, I just dont think the public is ready for it, just yet..like everything in this world, you just get use to your I-pad 2, and they come out with number 3, and you gotta have it which btw Apple stocks are a a meager 600.00 a share lol....believe me, the day will come when we will be saying, remember stopping by the gas station and putting that smelly stuff in your tank....its the cycle of profit
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2012 at 1:25pm
Snob, I think they are flying around in Jetson cars already....and you just dont know it
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2012 at 2:03pm
in Milwaukee for the weekend...
.........$4.19

sure glad I filled up at home for the bargain price of $4.09
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2223242526>
  Share Topic