NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

DUAL BATTERIES 4 MY 86 BFN!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
briguy86BFN View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote briguy86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DUAL BATTERIES 4 MY 86 BFN!
    Posted: February-27-2012 at 3:07pm
If anyone is interested in adding batteries and automatic switches to their late model correct craft, I would be happy to share with you what I did to accomodate this on my 1986 Barefoot Nautique.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2012 at 3:43pm
why don't you just post it here, then the questions will be already answered
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2012 at 4:30pm
Posting would be great as I may not have specific questions but I'm sure we all could learn something from your work. Then we could ask questions. Pictures are great too.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

newguy1986 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2012 at 5:02pm
yes - interesteed.
1986sn 2001
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2012 at 8:24pm
Mine starts just fine with one battery. Who needs a stereo when you have a 454?
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
politicallycorrect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote politicallycorrect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2012 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by 86BFN 86BFN wrote:

Mine starts just fine with one battery. Who needs a stereo when you have a 454?

At idle your boat already sounds like the beginning to "Hot for teacher"!
Skin grows back...fiberglass doesn't!!
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2012 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by politicallycorrect politicallycorrect wrote:

At idle your boat already sounds like the beginning to "Hot for teacher"!

LOL! That's funny! It does sound good! BTW, saw Diamond Dave and the boys Wednesday in Indy !
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2012 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by briguy86BFN briguy86BFN wrote:

If anyone is interested in adding batteries and automatic switches to their late model correct craft, I would be happy to share with you what I did to accomodate this on my 1986 Barefoot Nautique.

Bling! Bling! Look at the responses to your initial post!!!!!! What really are you trying to accomplish?   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote briguy86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2012 at 11:56pm
LOCATION OF BATTERIES: Rear of boat under the floor between the strut and drive shaft.

I decided to use a stainless steel full size 1/4 pan to hold my Blue Top D34M Optima Batteries. I drilled two holes towards (far right side of the pan) to mount and secure the pan to the floor using two of the strut bolts. There was plenty of thread left on those two bolts without having to remove the nuts or modify in any way - pretty convenient.   In between my pan and the floor is a sheet of 1/2 thick (weight lifting gym mat) rubber that is the same length and width as the bottom of the pan.

MOUNTING BATTERIES TO THE PAN: These two batteries have flanges at the bottom with two holes big enough for a 3/8 size bolt. I used four (two for each battery) 3/8 screw in feet 2" long. Because the hull of the boat comes down into a slight V the feet offer support for the weight and make up for the space between the pan and the V. They also secure the batteries to the pan using a 3/8 nut.

***Must use bits made for drilling Stainless

BATTERY SWITCH: Blue Sea Systems model 8646275

MOUNTING LOCATION: Left side of bell housing
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote briguy86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2012 at 12:28am

I used 1/2 by 2.5" aluminum strap. Cut one pies 2.5" long. The other piece is 12" long with two holes evenly spaced at one end. Using a transfer punch I marked the two holes on the smaller (bracket) 2.5" piece. I drilled and tapped the 2.5" piece to accomodate two 5/16 coarse thread bolts. I cut the bottom corner off of my bracket at a 45 about a 1/2 off so that it would flush up to the raised of the bell housing bolt. There is a unused bolt hole next to the bell housing bolt that is used to mount this bracket to.

The long piece or "mounting bar" securely bolted to the bracket is now ready for the Battery switch.

I used 1/4 aluminum 3/4 wide strap with 1/4 20 stainless bolts with stainless lock washers and stainless nylock nuts.

The black box is an automatic relay. With the red switch in the combine batteries mode it starts charging both batteries as soon as the boat is started. When you turn the boat off it switches over to battery B (Designated for auxilary power for stereo etc.) keeping battery A designated specifically for the motor.

Engine cover and floor clear easily with no obstruction.

Things to consider: You have to replace your stock alternator if you haven't already done so. IF you are wanting to run speakers find out how many amps it will be pulling and choose your "marine" alternator accordingly. You definitely want a good alternator that will charge your two batteries efficiently without working too hard. The alternator I am using produces a 140 amps.

Having these batteries in the back is a benefit for a couple reasons: One it adds weight 100lbs for these two batteries making for a bigger wake for wake boarding. It also puts the battery(s) closer to the motor without having to make long runs with your battery wire. I used 1/0 premium battery wire. You will have to cut every wire run and crimp the 3/8 cable ends to connect to your starter, switch, and ground. If you don't have heavy duty crimpers some local Orielly's have the tool to use depending on your local store. I used Tsunami Battery Terminals which had two 1/0 holes and Two 16 AWG holes. They are heavy duty and clean! This project took me a full weekend to complete.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote briguy86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2012 at 12:35am

Maximal691 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maximal691 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2012 at 12:55am
Nice job with the batteries, Install looks nice and clean. Interesting placement on the tower.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote briguy86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2012 at 1:02am
Thank you! I chose that location for several reasons: That is one of the strongest areas of the gunnel; Wanted to keep my bimini top in the same location without drilling MORE holes in my fiberglass!!! I did make my own backing plates for the tower! Big Air Tower sent these 1/4" by 3/4" wide aluminum flat strap which in my opinion didn't cover enough surface area for my liking! I used 1/4" thick by 4" wide by 5" long steel strap and pre-drilled all four plates to match the bolt pattern for the feet of the tower! I think you could pick the boat up by the tower without any issues. lol It is HELL for stout!
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2012 at 8:24am
That tower looks so wrong. It appears to be mounted back to front also to get your tow point closer to where it should have been.

I would be worried about it's structural integrity. Did you mention to the tower manufacturer your reverse mounting?
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2012 at 9:06am

???? Please explain! Caution, I've been in the stainless fabrication biz for 45 years. I have a feeling you have been misguided here.

Nice job on the batteries but I agree with Mark that the tower is misplaced.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote briguy86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2012 at 10:50am
This picture shows the wave tower on the owners boat of Big Air Towers - perhaps he mounted his backwards too...

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote briguy86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2012 at 11:04am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

???? Please explain! Caution, I've been in the stainless fabrication biz for 45 years. I have a feeling you have been misguided here.

Nice job on the batteries but I agree with Mark that the tower is misplaced.

Glad to hear you have been in the stainless fabrication biz for 45 years! That is awesome! You can drill stainless with a good bit IF you go slow and apply the right pressure. It's hell of lot easier with a bit designed with proper degree of edge and is made for drilling high tensile strength material. I too have been in the steel fabrication business for over 25 years. I'm surprised by your response especially with you being in the industry for so long. Check out my latest invention: www.bucketbasket.com
newguy1986 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2012 at 11:07am
interesting tower. seems like the tow point is alittle far back
1986sn 2001
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote briguy86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2012 at 11:07am
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

That tower looks so wrong. It appears to be mounted back to front also to get your tow point closer to where it should have been.

I would be worried about it's structural integrity. Did you mention to the tower manufacturer your reverse mounting?

No I did not mention to the tower manufacturer my reverse mounting because it isn't reversed mounted
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2012 at 11:20am
Do Coast Guard regulations require the battery(s) to be in a box of some sort?? Seem to think here in Illinois it is required.

Have some experience with reverse arch towers, not sure if you have had yours out with the tower yet but do be careful whenever coming around for a downed skier, the line will constantly get caught in the boards/board racks unless you take REALLY wide turns, if you are not careful you can pull the boards right off the racks.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2012 at 11:27am

You can drill stainless with a good bit IF you go slow and apply the right pressure. It's hell of lot easier with a bit designed with proper degree of edge and is made for drilling high tensile strength material.

Fill me in on the details. I'm never too old to learn sonething new.

High tensile SS? 304 is rated at 30,000 and a plain old grade 5 bolt is rated at 120,000. I'm confused with your statements.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MattB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2012 at 1:27pm
Nice battery install, the BFN does look very nice and tidy.

The tower isn't to my taste but each to his own and I guess it suits you, on the MC the placement just looks like a total pain in the 4r53 when trying to get in an out over the gunwales though.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote briguy86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2012 at 2:17pm
Thank you for the heads up!

Also regarding the Coast Guard Regulations:

United States Coast Guard Requirements for Recreational Boats

Batteries - Must be secured so they cannot be moved more than 1" in any direction; terminals must be protected so that metallic objects cannot contact ungrounded terminals (positive battery terminal); and be vented to permit the discharge of hydrogen gas. Batteries cannot be installed directly above or below a fuel tank, fuel filter or fuel line fitting.

oledb4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledb4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2012 at 7:26pm
The tow point looks to be about where the pylon would be if extended up...although the picture of the MC does have it back further
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2012 at 7:29pm

This picture shows the wave tower on the owners boat of Big Air Towers - perhaps he mounted his backwards too...

I stand corrected. Maybe it just looks like it is on reverse because you have mounted it further back.

It still looks so wrong.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote briguy86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2012 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

I stand corrected. Maybe it just looks like it is on reverse because you have mounted it further back.

It still looks so wrong.

LOL - Opinions are like ass holes everybody has one! Good thing I didn't buy and install this to your taste!   
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2012 at 7:41pm
    Maybe it's for backwards barefootin'.    
I do like the color of the boat!    
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote briguy86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2012 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by 86BFN 86BFN wrote:

Maybe it's for backwards barefootin'.    
I do like the color of the boat!    

Back at ya!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2012 at 8:17pm
Anything yet?

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

You can drill stainless with a good bit IF you go slow and apply the right pressure. It's hell of lot easier with a bit designed with proper degree of edge and is made for drilling high tensile strength material.

Fill me in on the details. I'm never too old to learn something new.

High tensile SS? 304 is rated at 30,000 and a plain old grade 5 bolt is rated at 120,000. I'm confused with your statements.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2012 at 8:38pm
Interesting tower. The MC tow point is actually in front of the ski pylon...its a v-drive. Althought I wonder how the two towers work together????

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic