Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

remove crankshaft pulley

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
oledb4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledb4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: remove crankshaft pulley
    Posted: March-01-2012 at 1:50am
My pulleys are pretty rusted and are eating my belts, snapped one today out on the lake and had to get towed by a 15 hp john boat!! embarrassing...But I was wondering if anyone has had experience removing these. I have removed the three bolts, but the pulley isnt wanting to come off. Do I need to remove the larger bolt in the center or is it just being stubborn? Its an '86 SN 2001
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2012 at 10:36am
I'm pretty sure the large center screw is for the harmonic balancer, which you don't need to pull. The pulley should come off with some persuasion - can you drive a screwdriver behind it?

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2012 at 11:02am
normally you need a puller to remove the harmonic balancer
"the things you own will start to own you"
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2012 at 11:17am
agreed you will need to get a puller for the balancer thats what the timing marks is on. The pulley will come off if you take off the 4 bolts.
oledb4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledb4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2012 at 11:18am
OK so I should just be able to muscle it off then?
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2012 at 11:19am
The large bolt in the center "may" have a large washer on it that is trapping the pulley. If you take the center bolt and washer off the pulley should come off easy without taking the harmonic balancer off.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2012 at 11:26am
sure just remove all the bolts and get between the back of the pulley and balancer with a pry bar or something. It should come off with a little coaxing. Also check your belt alignment. So use a straight edge to inspect the angle between the waterpump and the pulley and alternator. They may need some washers to get them to line up. This will reduce belt wear.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2012 at 11:43am
After the bolts are removed the only thing holding it to the harmonic balancer is paint and/or rust. Try a light tap with a block of wood.
If you pry on it be easy. The pulley is just a formed peice of sheet metal and will bend pretty easy.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

oledb4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledb4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2012 at 12:11pm
OK. I'm not worried about bending the pulley, I'm putting a new one on. Thank you for the help guys!
FLSKIER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLSKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2012 at 1:05pm
You will have to remove the crankshaft bolt the washer on it holds the pulley.
82 Ski Tique
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2012 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by FLSKIER FLSKIER wrote:

You will have to remove the crankshaft bolt the washer on it holds the pulley.

UM no it doesn't, at least not on a ford!

Not on the 3 bolt and not on the 4 bolt setups that have been used over the years. If this boat is a rare chevy then I maybe wrong
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
80SN Barnfind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80SN Barnfind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2012 at 3:42pm
3 bolts on my 80SN w/351. A couple raps with the rubber/plastic mallet and it was free.

Knowledge comes by taking things apart: analysis. But wisdom comes by putting things together.

FLSKIER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLSKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2012 at 5:14pm
Sorry I was thinking of a Chevy.
82 Ski Tique
oledb4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledb4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2012 at 7:54am
Originally posted by 80SN Barnfind 80SN Barnfind wrote:

3 bolts on my 80SN w/351. A couple raps with the rubber/plastic mallet and it was free.

how did ur belts do with the pulleys being that rusted??
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2012 at 9:57am
Originally posted by oledb4 oledb4 wrote:

Justin,
There are always some very basic things you need to look at before you take your boat out. Rusted sheaves are one of them. Blowing a belt due to the condidition of the sheaves and being towed in I have to say blatantly is your owm fault. Now you are asking another member if they made the same stupid mistake??????

Next, as long as I'm on a "rant", is it would be a good idea to proof read you posts. I'm never perfect but I do try. You have not!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
80SN Barnfind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80SN Barnfind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2012 at 11:33am

[/QUOTE]

To answer your question, just fine. The photo is from before the motor was ever started and the pulley was blasted, sanded and painted.   There is probably another month of prep before this boat gets wet....just to make sure I return to the dock under my own power.
Knowledge comes by taking things apart: analysis. But wisdom comes by putting things together.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2012 at 11:38am
Whats with all the belt bustin here pete

Thats right I used whats and not what's and thats and not that's... I am a rebel without a cause and those grammer police ain't ever gonna git me
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2012 at 11:54am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Justin,
There are always some very basic things you need to look at before you take your boat out. Rusted sheaves are one of them. Blowing a belt due to the condidition of the sheaves and being towed in I have to say blatantly is your owm fault. Now you are asking another member if they made the same stupid mistake??????

Next, as long as I'm on a "rant", is it would be a good idea to proof read you posts. I'm never perfect but I do try. You have not!

Pete,
I am sure you are not referring to me? My spelling is impeccable. I even won the spelling bee in 6th grade. Too many justins on this site now. Maybe have to start going by a nickname...how about....nighthawk! Think about it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2012 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Justin,

Pete,
I am sure you are not referring to me? My spelling is impeccable. I even won the spelling bee in 6th grade. Too many justins on this site now. Maybe have to start going by a nickname...how about....nighthawk! Think about it.

No, not you - it was "odedb4". You're correct, it does seem like we have plenty of Justin's on site!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2012 at 8:30pm
Pete - have you been taking lessons from '79 lately?

You were a little blunt here.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2012 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Pete - have you been taking lessons from '79 lately?

You were a little blunt here.

Chris,
Yes, I was being very blunt but from the start admitted that! But, "big time", someone needs to take the place of Chris!!

BTW, is there any member that is still in touch with him? The last I heard was he went over to the "dark" side with a Gayliner I/O!!!!      

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic