Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winterizing

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
limocpa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote limocpa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterizing
    Posted: September-26-2005 at 8:21pm
What does 'fogging the mortor and cyclinders mean when winterizing? thanks
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2005 at 11:00pm
It's just putting protective lubrication in...I use seafoam....poured in through the carb.
Seafaom...will work as a gas stablizer and oil treatment too...great stuff!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

79nautique View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2005 at 11:32pm
I thought seafoam was a top end cleaner, well that's what I use it for. The Penziol makes an arisol spray called FOGING OIL which is what I use and you can get at any wal-mart in the sporting goods section. I don't know that I would trust it as a gas stabilzer.
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2005 at 1:33am
I use Sta-Bil. It works fine for the gas.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
: The Best Scouting Software
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2005 at 2:18am
Sea Foam...yes it is a top end cleaner...but has many uses...at least they claim so!
A mechanic buddy (who is a good one)uses it for foggong the engine...I have for a couple years and it has worked well!I stablize my gas,treat the oil and run it through the carb each fall...so far so good.
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2005 at 3:03pm
I would say seafoam is a valve and piston cleaner. I wouldn't use it to keep parts oiled, it would seem to wash off what oil is there. Any way, I don't fog, just every once in a while during the winter, I'll crank the motor a couple of revolutions, just to lube everything and yes the belts are off.
Tim D
RobG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2005 at 3:50pm
Tim,
Hope this isn't a dumb question, but why 'belts off'?
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2005 at 4:06pm
usually you don't have to remove the belts. But in this case since he doesn't fogg, which I wouldn't recommend not doing, he removes the belts so that he can crank it over with out the antifreeze being pumped out. You really only have to remove the belt from the raw water pump and the thermo stat. If the circulation pump spins all it's going to do is move it around in the block. The extra water pressure from the RWP and a closed thermostat is what pushs the water to the exhaust manifolds. And really you don't even have to remove the belt from the RWP since you should remove the impeller for winter storage but since it's off no need to put it back just to take it back off come spring when you replace the impeller.
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2005 at 4:47pm
I think I'll jump in here. This is the first winter we will go through with our boat. The PO never winterized, he lived in Louisville and said he would just drop the boat in the lake every couple of weeks and run it. I'm in the Kansas City area, and will keep the boat in a heated garage. I was thinking of doing the same thing, just taking it out and dropping it in the lake and run the engine for 15 or 20 minutes. Yes the lake frezes over occasionally, but usually not for more than a couple of weeks at a time.
Any advice with this? Anyone else doing the same?
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2005 at 5:11pm
After reading the above post.... MAN, AM I GLAD I AM IN FLORIDA!!! YAY lol
NO LONGER A MEMBER
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2005 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by mackwrench mackwrench wrote:

After reading the above post.... MAN, AM I GLAD I AM IN FLORIDA!!! YAY lol

Mack, I'm with you man. We have a two step winterization here in CA. 1) remove the bimini top and put it in the garage, and 2)
put the wetsuits in the boat.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Bhedbloom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bhedbloom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2005 at 6:13pm
I know this may be over the top and too much rigging for some, but I like to use my boats all year around in South Carolina. I run a drop cord to my boats with two 60W light bulbs mounted under the engine cover. The bulbs are mounted in a clamp type fixture w/ a protective bezzle to keep them from touching anything in the engine compartment. I also purchased a digital outdoor temp. sensor unit from Best Buy and leave it in the engine compartment during the winter. I can sit at my desk and monitor what the temp is inside the boat. Last year when the outdoor temp dipped to 17 degrees the engine was a toasty 48 degrees.

Only negative is power loss. I have not had to fire up the generator yet, but I know I will one of these years.

Happy Boating All Year Around !!!
Barry, South Carolina
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2005 at 6:26pm
must be nice not having to do much to winterize, but I have a suggestion for you guy's. Do any of you have the drain kit instailed on you engines? I was talking to Vince @ SKIDIM and he told me all he does is drain the water out of the block if it's going to get below 45 degrees. I have it on mine and it takes about thirty seconds to open them up
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2005 at 6:57pm
I have draincocks on block, exhaust, & trans cooler, and have used the drop light deal sometimes.
NO LONGER A MEMBER
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2005 at 7:01pm
I don't care where you live, I wouldn't leave lake water or tap water in a cast iron block and/or heads all winter. You need to let it sit for a about a month, hook up the fake a lake and when the thermostat opens, you'll see how much rust can come out. I put antifreeze in the motor for freezing, and rust protection. Oh, when I mentioned cranking the boat above, if it fires up I only let it run maybe 5 seconds. I don't hook any water up. I take the raw pump belt off so the impellor will not melt. And don't forget to take the hose off the raw pump and blow the water out the transmission cooler.
Tim D
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2005 at 7:36pm
I agree with Tim. If the boat is in warmer climates BUT is not going to be used during the winter then the antifreeze is more for rust/scale protection than freeze protection.

If the block is full of water, then the scale is usually not much of an issue. It is when the water is drained and cast iron is allowed to oxidize more deeply since it is exposed to more oxygen.

I could be all wet on this, just what I believe and see from year to year.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2005 at 7:44pm
See your point. It is rare that we go more than a couple of weeks without using the boat, and if we do, I usually drop it off the lift and run it for 10 or 15 minutes just to keep it cleaned out and to keep the batteries fresh. We have had 2 or 3 freeze episodes in the last 10 years. If that happens, I either
pull it out and into the garage, or put a light on the motor.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic