Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

how to flip over boat for bottom work

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how to flip over boat for bottom work
    Posted: March-05-2012 at 4:05pm
I know some have done this before but can't find a post. My friend is going to re-gelcoat his entire 74 South wind 20. One of the previous owners thought it would be a good idea to paint the entire bottom of the boat!

So. I work for a sign company and we were thinking we could pull the engine with the crane truck and then lift the boat with straps fore and aft, and gently roll the boat over in the straps and lay it back down on some wood runners across the trailer. At least my crane operator thinks he can.

Does anybody have a better or easier way to rotate the boat like a rotisserie? And I am assuming leaving the engine in would be catastrophic.

Thanks - kirk
Kirk

1976 Southwind 20

Eagle Mountain Lake Fort Worth
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2012 at 4:21pm
Kirk,
Ideally you should have two slings attached to 4 hoists. A hull being heavier at the bottom does not simply roll over.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2012 at 4:41pm
That looks like what we would be doing with the crane. A spreader bar at the top with two straps. My crane operator says he has rolled heavy signs before...

What about the engine removal. That must come out first, right?
Kirk

1976 Southwind 20

Eagle Mountain Lake Fort Worth
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2012 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by kman kman wrote:

That looks like what we would be doing with the crane. A spreader bar at the top with two straps. My crane operator says he has rolled heavy signs before...

What about the engine removal. That must come out first, right?

You need two spreader bars and two cranes. The straps get clamped off to the hull and then one side is raised and the other side lowered.

Yes, the engine needs to come out. I also suggest pulling the fuel tank.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
uk 1979 part2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk 1979 part2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2012 at 5:01pm
You can use a fork truck with a spreader bar its not the best way and you need to be real careful have some old tyres on the floor under it too, be safe

lets have a go 2
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2012 at 6:06pm
I'd be hesitant to lay the hull directly on the deck.

Instead, I'd support it from the stringers like seen below. Simple to make and keeps the deck from cracking under the weight of the hull.

Scottie m View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottie m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2012 at 9:39pm
I would also hook a chain fall on it to control the rotation better
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2012 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by Scottie m Scottie m wrote:

I would also hook a chain fall on it to control the rotation better

From where to where?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Scottie m View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottie m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2012 at 10:38pm
Hook the fall above the pick point
Then hook the chain to a choker that's choked around the boat..
I would only attempt this if you have heavy rigging exerance!
Things could go really bad quick
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic