Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

tranny problem

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
matt View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tranny problem
    Posted: September-27-2005 at 2:04am
Hi folks. When I shift from neutral into gear (1985 ski nautique), the engine rev's, then the tranny kicks into gear. There doesn't seem to be any 'slippage' at higher speed or with weight in the boat, but it is a most unsettling experience. Has anyone else come across this problem? Any advice as to whether it is a throttle/shift coupling issue, versus switch or actual tranny damage? Thank you!
79nautique View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2005 at 11:02am
I would say that you need to adjust the shift cables. It seems like that you are moving the throtle to much before you are engaging the tranny. The throttle (at carb) shouldn't really move any until it is in gear. The load from the transmission is what brings down the idle some. Now it is a possiblity that it may be you that is causing it by moving the throttle control lever to much and/or to quickly. Odds are it's not the operator but I try and point out all possiblities. If you are used to an I/O where you move the controler more to prevent the gears from grinding when engaging the gears it is different for an inboard all you have to do is slowly move the control forward and you will feel a slight resistance and at this point you can stop moving it forward and the gear will engage. Hope this helps.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2005 at 12:07pm
This problem is usually cuased by inproper adjustment of the cable at the carburetor. Do the following:

1. Remove the ball socket throttle cable connection from the carburetor throttle arm.
2. Place the throttle lever IN GEAR, but at idle position.
3. Ensure that the transmission is fully ingaged in forward gear.
4. Adjust the ball socket on the throttle cable to smoothly attach to the ball on the throttle arm WITHOUT causing the throttle arm to move at all.

You are done and your problem will be solved.

If you adjust the throttle cable with the throttle lever in neutral, it is WRONG as a spring in the throttle control is not properly pre-loaded.
petes018 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petes018 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2005 at 1:21am
Well gentlemen, thank you for the suggestions. I got out to the boat and adjusted the throttle arm/cable linkage. It seems to work fine for 5 or 10 minutes, then the same problem. Reverse seemed ok, but even with me helping to ensure the transmission switch/lever was engaged, the engine would rev moderately, then a bit of a whirring noise from the transmission, and it would then kick into gear. Sounding more ominous? I will change the fluid, but any further advice/prayers? Thank you!
petes
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2005 at 11:20am
Just make sure you don't over file it with fluid. it only takes a little over a qrt. and you won't be able to get all of the fluid out so you will have some in it. Check the level when it's in the boat that way you are as level as possible.
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2005 at 12:16pm
I don't get where the revving is comming from with this problem. If adjusted properly there shouldn't be any revving, only a slight rpm increase, and that's only if it doesn't go into gear. My rpms actually go down from 800 when my boat jumps into gear, but it's 18 years old to so the indications may be a little hokey.
Have you checked your transmission screen on the side to see if it has caught any debris?
petes018 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petes018 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2005 at 11:33pm
Update:
I changed the transmission fluid this week, and it was the colour of a strawberry milkshake. Water in the transmission? Refilled it, adjusted the throttle/shifter linkage and it worked great for about five minutes and the got worse. Now the bilge was strawberry and no tranny fluid. Needless to say, I was towed home. Am I correct in assuming there is a seal that is gone? I am going to fill up the tranny and winterize her, then get the transmission fixed in the spring. Thanks for all the help.
petes
Seperator View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seperator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2005 at 11:44pm
I would not wait to have it fixed as the water in the fluid will ruin the trans. You have a bad Trans cooler and what has happened is you have blown the front seal from the contamination of the water. The oil is now running down from inside the bellhousing
petes018 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petes018 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2005 at 10:10pm
Thanks! Do you mean engine oil from the bell housing? I though there was some oil in the bilge. So a new transmission cooler and seals, and some crossed fingers about the transmission?
petes
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2005 at 1:24pm
WHEN YOU HAVE THE TRANSMISSION OUT MAKE SURE YOU INSPECT THE DRIVE PLATE! SOUNDS LIKE IT IS THE PROBLEM WITH THE TRANS SLIPPING INTO FOREWARD.
woodyelc
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2005 at 3:59pm
Good point Woodyelc,

Since you are going to have the tranny out you might as well change the dampner plate as well. Odds are its a little worn and with the new rebuild on the tranny no need to take chances and have to tear it down again to replace the plate. The tranny isn't that hard to do just make sure you pay close attaintion to the pump and the direction it is installed because it is reversable depending on the rotation of the shaft so make sure it goes back in the same way. And you might want to concider new tranny lines as well that way every thing is new and in perfect order for years to come.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic