NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ford PCM 351 Exhaust Manifold Question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tkosel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkosel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ford PCM 351 Exhaust Manifold Question
    Posted: March-10-2012 at 3:30am
I have a 1989 Correct Craft Ski Nautique 2001 with a Ford PCM 351 Engine. I am replacing the right side (relative to facing forward from the drivers seat) exhaust manifold. I didn't pay a lot of attention when I took the old one off, to my dismay. Want to put it back together but some questions have arisen.

1. Does it matter which side of the riser gasket faces the manifold? (engine side.) I really don't see to much difference in the gasket, just dots on one side and none on the other.

2. There is a difference in the gasket as far as front and back. Which end of the gasket goes to the front? There is a gap on the gasket that probably makes a difference. I am not having much luck attaching photos, although I have them. Thee is a tab on the gasket, does it go to the front or the back?

3. What is the proper torque for the manifold to engine bolts?
Hooty222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hooty222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2012 at 6:57pm
Check SKIDIM.com they talk about it, As i remember tab goes to front of boat.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2012 at 7:07pm
The manual in the ref section may have some torque specs. If not, then just go by standard SAE specs.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2012 at 7:19pm
The rear passage should be blocked so water is forced up over the entire riser and not just under and out. This is probably related to the tab but I don't rememeber and really the tab is insignificant, make sure the aft/rear path is the one that is blocked. As far as top/bottom I don't see any difference.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2012 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

The rear passage should be blocked so water is forced up over the entire riser and not just under and out. This is probably related to the tab but I don't rememeber and really the tab is insignificant, make sure the aft/rear path is the one that is blocked. As far as top/bottom I don't see any difference.

I love an answer that includes good reasoning.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

tkosel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkosel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2012 at 11:50pm
To all,

Thanks for the responses. Quinner and others, you were right. Skidim had a blurb on their site that pointed out the correct placement.

http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1158

GSKT EXHAUST RISER      
GSKT EXHAUST RISER
PCM FORD AND PCM GM SMALL BLOCKS
The blocked water passage goes towards the exhaust outlet. Same Gasket 3" and 3.5" Risers.

That means that the tab goes towards the front of the engine.

I still don't know what the proper torque for the manifold is, but probably isn't that critical. I cannot find any specification in he manual or on on line. That seems kind of odd!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2012 at 11:57am
Per my 1971 Chilton's manual the exh manifold bolt torque is 18-24 Ft. lbs.     I highly recommend some anti-seize be applied to the threads.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
tkosel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkosel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2012 at 2:44pm
Snobsessed,

Thanks for the tip! The anti seize is of course a must! Now I can finish my manifold replacement today. Thanks to all for suggestions that got me all my anwers.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic