Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

63 SN is back home

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 63 SN is back home
    Posted: March-11-2012 at 12:13am
New stringers and new gelcoat on the deck

Now where should I drill the holes for the tower?

SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2012 at 12:30am
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2012 at 1:03am
The color combo really looks great Phil,job turned out nice. As to the tower, obviously it will be in front of the swim platform but keep it clear of the star gazer antenna
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2012 at 2:06am
WOW! fantabulas, looks awsome. more pics!
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2012 at 2:54am
Alright Phil, when can I bring Dad by, he is going to want to see it in person...
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2012 at 12:06pm
Wow that looks nice Phil, love those 1st gen skis
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2012 at 12:19pm
Looks great! Is that the boat with the FE Interceptor?
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2012 at 10:17pm
COOL BOAT!!!!

more pics please...
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 12:38am
Thanks, I'm really happy with the way it turned out. Joe Richardson in Dubuque did the work for me.

Gary - the color wheel really helped, we were able to match the color that had not faded under the rub rail

Steve - looking forward to the visit, I'm going to have a hundred questions for your dad to get this put back together right since I got it as a basket case.

This was a 352 FE originally and a 390 will go back in.

-Phil
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 12:42am
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 12:46am
I'm guessing these windshield brackets are not original. Anyone know of a source for the correct ones or know of some used ones? Also where can I get the white rubber gasket that goes between the deck and windshield?

Thanks,
Phil

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 1:14am
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 1:14am
Got mine here I am sure there are others. Can't type and got took
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 2:53am
Phil there are about 4 kinds of windshield ends.Do you know who made the windsheld you have? Here is a picture of Tim's Skier which I think has a Water Bonnet brand on it? They have a cast end,hard to see, maybe Tim can post a picture of them.

Then there are these from a Taylor Made,but I don't think they were used on your boat

And finally these are off a generic replacement Taylor Made windshield

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 1:35pm
Phil, looks awesome!    Great inspiration for my '67.

I cant see the pics that Gary posted, but here is a shot of the Water Bonnet end. I have Watter Bonnets on both of my '71 Skiers, and they are stamped as such right on the screen. Im not sure if the Taylors are stamped or not.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 1:49pm
Phil,
Fantastic!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 2:24pm
Phil, I can't wait to get my 64 SN looking that nice !! Great Work ! Did you use wood on the spray rail ? The one on mine is wood that is painted white. I wanted to do something other than wood on mine, it is rotted and soft.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 2:33pm
The original is/was definitely wood with an aluminum strip all painted white. No reason not to replace it with wood. My Dad's was only painted (from the factory) and it is still solid, that's after 49 years. So if you recraft it in wood, use modern sealants and paints, It should be no problem lasting another 49+ years.

I suppose you could look at creating a mold, or shaping some sort of plastic, but it obviously would not be original and I would think a lot more work. Just my 2 cents...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 2:44pm
Michael,
I totally agree with Steve above. A CPES treatment after all holes are drilled and then bedding it to the hull with 5200 will do a great job.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 2:49pm
Looks great Phil!

Can't wait to see it in person.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 3:01pm
Steve and Pete, I think you guys are right the good thing is I have a decent pattern to work with. Thanks for the good advice :)

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 3:14pm
Mike, Im not sure if I'll be remaking mine out of wood or not... thats certainly the most straightforward though! If youve got the originals on hand, see if they match mine. Here are the dims I pulled off them:

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 3:27pm
Tim,

I will compare your info tonight on the rails and let you know. Thanks for posting info.

MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2012 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Phil there are about 4 kinds of windshield ends.Do you know who made the windsheld you have? Here is a picture of Tim's Skier which I think has a Water Bonnet brand on it? They have a cast end,hard to see, maybe Tim can post a picture of them.

[And finally these are off a generic replacement Taylor Made windshield

Phil,   I have 1 more set of these pictured left!
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 12:08am
I could not find any markings on the windshield. The aluminum bar is 7/16"

Marty, I'm interested if these will fit. Are they new?

Michael, the PO glassed in the original wood spray rails and then gelcoated the entire hull. He did a pretty good job but if I could get it back to original without a lot of work, I would.

-Phil
70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 12:31am
Here are some "before" pics taken by the PO.

Not sure why the red paint between the spray rail and boot strip, maybe going for the P40 Warhawk look?

Engine shot is the 427 which replaced the original 352. PO kept the 427.

Dash at one time had wood veneer added, still have it but its not going back on.

70's style mirror will need a new home.

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 1:22am
Phil;

Here is the best picture I have of Dad's windshield attachment point

But Remember the windshield (and the tow ring) are not original, due to the ski race incident circa 1966/7. I seem to recall Dad saying that he couldn't get one from Correct Craft, so he put a Taylor on it, I remember he was not happy because it did not look EXACTLY like the original...

Also note the seat in this picture. We will have to plan a seat building party, as I want to rebuild another set (one for the new upholstry and and keep the originals for use with the original seat cushions, also shown). I am sure Tim and Mike (nautique frk) would use them. I figure if we are building them it's just as easy to build four sets as it is to build 1.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 1:29am
Phil;

A couple other things jumped out, it appears that the original steering wheel also broke (I believe I remember you saying you found one, I have a pretty badly damaged one and am still searching for a mint condition one). I also noticed your gear shifter appears to be on the dash. Also, orginally, we had (from left to right) temp, oil pressure, tack, amps and just recently (late 80's) added the fuel meter, when we took the tank out and had the insides coated and baked. Cigarette lighter never did work, when you put it in, it blows a fuse, it is disconnected and wires disconnected.

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 1:31am
Finally, I find it interesting that your fuel filler is located on the port side. Dad's is in the middle between the stern light and the stern lifting ring. Again, it will be good to compare notes. The gel sure looks great, can't wait to see it in person!

70CC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 2:03am
Steve,

Thanks for posting the pics of your dad's boat. I think we decided before that your dad's boat is earlier than mine based on the SN which might explain the different gas filler location.

Here's the wheel that I recently purchased on ebay. It supposedly was taken from a 1963 boat, not sure what make. I have the hub from the original wheel - someone hacked the spokes off and used it as an adpater for the Superior 3 spoke wheel (ughhh)shown in the pic above. I can tell that the wheel I bought is not exactly the same but it is period correct, is crack free, and happens to look a lot like the wheel on SN#1 (see 1961 brochure, photo 3)

I've been wondering about the seats. I have the remnants of a plywood bench seat but can't be sure if that is what it was built with. Maybe someone can let us know if there were seat options or if they were all made like your dad's. I wouldn't mind putting a bench back in - would be nice for cruising.

-Phil
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic