NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hercules IXB

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hercules IXB
    Posted: March-13-2012 at 11:16am
Does anyone have any familiarity with these motors? Were they dependable? Are parts available with ease?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 11:44am
Ha
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 11:56am
Thanks so much Bruce. Will call him today. How's the ground, still frozen? Planning to make the trip real soon. Meanwhile, have returned to CT and started work again on the Jr Utility.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 12:07pm
I've got a job in that area today and will stop by and check it out. It was in the 60's yesterday and is supposed to be in the 50's all week, so I guessing it'll be good to go.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 2:11pm
Jack,
Th IX series of engines were their industrial/truck and even some automotive. If you are thinking about this for your boat, there would be lots of parts needed. When Chris was marinizing the Hercules, they were pretty much just getting a short block and then bolting their stuff on.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 3:17pm
Tell me you are not gonna do a hack job on this boat.At the very least install a period correct engine.Gray marine engines are available for a reasonable price.That is not subject to debate, a Chris Craft motor in a Correct Craft, this would truly be a "piece of work"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 3:26pm
Billy,
Don't forget I have a "Chris" model A in the Atom. However, it's labled as a Correct Craft engine!!

BTW, it's the only engine I know of the CC purchased from Chris Craft and private labled it. It's also painted red and not the typical Chris blue.

I agree - keep at least a correct engine in that boat.

Jack,
The reference section should have some price sheets that show what engines were available.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 3:29pm
My Dad had a Hercules in his Chris and has said that some friends had the same boat with a Chrysler in it. The Herc was faster-
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 3:43pm
Gary,
You stating your dad had the Hercules is a partial truth. Yes, the basic Chris engines started with the Hercules block but by the time they finished the marinization, they looked like a Chris engine especially since "Chris Craft" was cast in big letters on the manifold.

Yes, you could special order a Chrysler in a Chris but those are rare.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2012 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Tell me you are not gonna do a hack job on this boat.At the very least install a period correct engine.Gray marine engines are available for a reasonable price.That is not subject to debate, a Chris Craft motor in a Correct Craft, this would truly be a "piece of work"

No sweat, no worries, my utility came with a perfectly good and complete original Grey Marine. I was just wondering on the Herc because I could pick one up reasonably. Supposed to have come out of a Correct Craft and original. The year of the boat a 1956. Is this possible? Way I figure it spare parts is spare parts for these old babies. Perhaps a waste of time and money but what if I came across 56 that needs a engine.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 11:21am
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

No sweat, no worries, my utility came with a perfectly good and complete original Grey Marine. I was just wondering on the Herc because I could pick one up reasonably. Supposed to have come out of a Correct Craft and original. The year of the boat a 1956. Is this possible? Way I figure it spare parts is spare parts for these old babies. Perhaps a waste of time and money but what if I came across 56 that needs a engine.

Jack,
The misleading is your title. As mentioned, the IXB series is a industrial/truck engine and not the marinized version done by others. Get your terminalogy correct as to not confuse. Why, are you calling a Hercules B an IXB??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2012 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

Jack,
The misleading is your title. As mentioned, the IXB series is a industrial/truck engine and not the marinized version done by others. Get your terminalogy correct as to not confuse. Why, are you calling a Hercules B an IXB??

Morning Pete

Sorry for the confusion. Internet exchanges tend to get that way at times. No worries.

My son found a add on CL just browsing. Guy say's it's a Herc he has taken out of his Correct Craft of 1956 vintage. He repowered. Considering picking up the engine for the heck of it. Can't help myself.

Then Bruce posted about the boat he has given me and I think Billy thought Bruce was referring to the boat my son and I picked up last year.

Still think I may pick up the Herc cause the price is right and mebe someday I can swap it out for missing parts for the hull I am about to fetch in Portland.

I really appreciate the input from all who chimed in.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic