Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

repair ripped naugahyde??

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: repair ripped naugahyde??
    Posted: March-19-2012 at 2:15am
Any ideas on how to repair the tear on the top of my back seat? The rest of my original seats are in excellent condition so I hate to even think about changing everything out just because of this. I love the stamped look with marbled finish and they can't be found any more.

My one idea was to make a white naugahyde patch with CC embroidered on it and then sew it over the tear to "hold" it all together.
Kirk

Kirk

1976 Southwind 20

Eagle Mountain Lake Fort Worth
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 8:02am
I think I would just ignor it and use the boat.
This is the life
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 10:34am
If it bugs you, your patch idea is a simple solution
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 11:53am
Ive had good luck with the liquid vinyl repair kits. Getting a color match is tough, and it probably wont look perfect, but will hold the vinyl together and keep the crack from spreading.
rcthorpe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcthorpe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Ive had good luck with the liquid vinyl repair kits. Getting a color match is tough, and it probably wont look perfect, but will hold the vinyl together and keep the crack from spreading.

Do you have a particular kit that you liked using?
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 12:32pm
+1 on the liquid vinyl repair kit. Sorry, I don't remember what kit we have used before...
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
ski-guy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ski-guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 2:07am
Check out fibrenew they are supposed to do a good job of vinyl repair. fibrenew.com
1980 SN - don't worry dear, I may have $10+K into this project boat but I can easily sell it for $5k

2000/2001 Glen-L 'Squirt'

2006 Malibu LSV
must_dash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote must_dash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 8:34am
Have you tried one of the companies that do auto/car interior repairs? May be able to do a good job.

Tom
1986 Martinique - sold

When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice.
snipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 11:00am
Ditto on the Auto/Car repair place. They are all over. I had a dandy rip in the vinyl on the doghouse and had it repaired with the liquid patch. You can look all you want, and won't find the tear. Excellent job.   
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 9:08pm
I have a friend that has a 'Color Pro' franchise. He has made several repairs for me, much cheaper than a new skin.

However, if the vinyl is brittle due to old age, it may be a lost cause.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 6:43pm
Large used car lots have interior repair guys that travel from lot to lot
fixing trade ins. Maybe if you ask a used car guy they could get you a phone no.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 7:00pm
Hmmm that just might be what I need to fix the slight tear in my doghouse:

- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 7:16pm
Ha ha, doghouse needs to be re roofed.
snipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 10:24pm
That's pretty brittle . "Reroofing" is in order. I think?? Those repair guys can do some fantastic things though. I would ask, The worst you will hear is "No Way".
Best of luck, and let us know what the outcome is.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic