NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WI muffler laws?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WI muffler laws?
    Posted: March-19-2012 at 5:38pm
We are thinking going to northern WI later this summer. I know WI has an 86dbl noise limit,(which has been pushed at GL... right Reid?)
There is no "grandfather" clause for boats that never came with mufflers, so we are technically illegal.

I know WI has a lot of wooden inboards running their lakes with no mufflers. Does anyone know if "old inboard noise" is a problem anywhere? Does the DNR ever pick on 'glass inboards with no mufflers? Are some areas better/worse than others?

... hmmmmm boats without mufflers!? .. what will they pick on next?
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 6:05pm
Steve - I never knew there was a noise limit rule on boats. Any idea where either of your boats land on the ol decibel scale? I have no idea how that is enforced up north, I do know they have a similiar rule with snowmobiles and they enforce that pretty heavily, I have seen DNR officers with decibel meters at times (even worse in MI UP), don't know about boats though.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 6:24pm
Steve, this came up in 2007 in advance of the 2nd annual GL Reunion.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 6:45pm
Steve....I used to run my Southwind up in Wisconsin with no mufflers, and never had any issues. Although, my brother-in-laws neighbors on Okauchee Lake commented there was a new antique inboard in the neighborhood someplace everytime I brought it up. But, no issues from John Law.

Finally put mufflers on the darn thing as it was too loud for me.

I guess the old saying is true...."if it's too loud, your too old"!!
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 7:00pm
Tim,
I knew it came up at GL..Reid has personal experience with Barney and his dBA meter.. (Im not sure which boat , but I think it blew around an 86 idling at the dock) I'm not too worried there.

I think the law had just passed and I remember calling Bill at the Bay view asking him about it. It has not been a problem at GL, but like Steve says the DNR does enforce the sled noise level. Just curious if there are any potential areas that do watch it with boats?

Steve , on page 13 (of the brochuer) is a muffler law... 86 dBA
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

Steve....I used to run my Southwind up in Wisconsin with no mufflers,

mannnn, I hope I never get that old!    What lake(s) do you run?

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 7:08pm
Up at Lake George a few years ago, Quinner was screaming down the lake in Reid's orange mustang and got stopped for noise.   
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 7:11pm
We'll see what Mr. "I dont need license plates on the trailer officer, the boats registered in WI." says..he should be seeing this post sometime!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Up at Lake George a few years ago, Quinner was screaming down the lake in Reid's orange mustang and got stopped for noise.   

LOL Larry, Keith was on board as well. The officer pulled us over and then told us to hit the button, we asked what button he was referring to? "The Captains Call Button" he said, LOL.

Took some explaining before he understood there was no silent choice on this particular vessel, LOL. In the end he let us go without any ticket.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 7:38pm
Steve,
This is one of the several reasons that I wanted out of WI. The DNR has way too much time on their hands and the laws suck. I doubt you'll have a problem in northern WI but a prick could make your day tough for you if they felt like it. Especially if a homeowner on the lake decided to make a call into Barney because some kid in a hod rod is tearing up the lake!?!?!?
One of the last years I was up there I decided to get one more ski day in before the weather really turned to crap. It was late Oct. and one of those last gorgeous 75 degree days. It was a thursday and I called up all of my ski buddies to see if they could blow off the afternoon and get wet. I got one taker and even though we didn't have a spotter decided to head to the river and we had an awesome afternoon. We got back to the launch just before dark to find a business card on the wiper blade from Barney to give him a call about skiing without an observer. I was headed out of town for the weekend that night to help a friend harvest his cranberry bogs and I returned home sunday late afternoon to find Barney sitting in my driveway! Are you kidding me???? I explained the situation and where I was for the weekend and why I hadn't called him yet. He checked over my boat to verify it was legal and he even commented on how he was interested in learning to barefoot. I told him that I would be more than happy to take him out if he wanted but he still gave me a ticket for $125 for skiing without an observer.

I got fed up with crap like this as well as the aforementioned noise levels with Reid. Then you add in the LOA a******s who decide that their lake needs skiing and wake restrictions and I wanted nothing to do with it any more. I'm outta here.

By the way, I've found only one lake here in FL that has a DB limit posted at the launch. It's limited to 87 db from sunset to sunrise and during the day is unlimited. Chew on that for a while WI DNR!!!!!!!!

As you can tell, I'm not real fond of the WI laws and I really have no desire to ever ski there again.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 7:50pm
Eddie - I could not agree with you more, not to turn this into a WI DNR bash, but as I have said before, those guys have way to much power, they are like the Gustapo. They can come on your land, into your house and search for anything with no warrant.

I wonder if you could have pushed the legal system on the ticket, Where are the witnesses, who's to say you didn't pick up an observer from a cottage.

I am at the point where if I could talk my wife into it, we would be moving south as well.

As an aside, where did you do your footin (would love to learn your secret spots), the lake my in-laws cottage is on has one of those aforementioned No Wake Laws. You have six minutes of good water, if you hit it it two minutes before the No Wake law goes off and everyone sees your footin, they will wait until you finish your path. At which point no less then five boats hit the water towing something. On a 138 acre lake, it goes from mirror to bathtub in about 30 seconds...
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

Steve....I used to run my Southwind up in Wisconsin with no mufflers,

mannnn, I hope I never get that old!    What lake(s) do you run?

WHAT!?!?! What's that you say young man??? Speak up now!

We usually go to Lake Geneva, and Delavan as our regular lakes or Okauchee during the 4th of July for a family get together. Would really like to get back up to the Eagler River area someday. Northwoods boating at its finest. We have been there a few times in the past. But, with gas the way it is, we may just go to the Fox River here in the western burbs more this summer.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 10:18pm
Steve,
I really do not feel you will have a problem - that 6 isn't that loud!! I have never had a problem and the only one I do know who has was Reid.

Skiing without an observer is a completely different story.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 10:35pm
Thats one thing CA does not do- no Db limits out on the delta, they do limit the snowmobiles but I never saw any db meters, and CA requires a spotter but some of the barefooters have fought in court since the law says Towing on a "ski devise" the footers said they were not on a ski devise and walked out charge dropped. We have used the dummy observer just to not attract attention/ go to court.
This is the life
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 12:38am
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

I wonder if you could have pushed the legal system on the ticket, Where are the witnesses, who's to say you didn't pick up an observer from a cottage.

As an aside, where did you do your footin (would love to learn your secret spots), the lake my in-laws cottage is on has one of those aforementioned No Wake Laws. You have six minutes of good water, if you hit it it two minutes before the No Wake law goes off and everyone sees your footin, they will wait until you finish your path. At which point no less then five boats hit the water towing something. On a 138 acre lake, it goes from mirror to bathtub in about 30 seconds...

Steve,
I did try fighting the ticket. I got it reduced to $90 but it still sucks.

I did most of my skiing on the Rock river just outside of Johnson Creek. The launch sucked, you constantly had to be very careful about what may or may not be in the water and it was very shallow in spots if you didn't know where to go. It was about a half hour from my house but you could find glass almost any time. I stopped skiing the lakes. The wally's on all of them pretty much sucks now.

It's getting to the point most lakes are getting very similar to what you talk about here. My inlaws have a place in Minoqua on a lake that has been completely ruined in the last ten years due to the LOA setting ski times. I have had the DNR called on me several times because I was violating the LOA skiing rules. The DNR came out and checked me and the boat to make sure I wasn't violatoing the state law (skiing too close to a pier or another boat or doing fliers off the pier because that's illegal now too) but I didn't get a ticket because as far as they're concerned, skiing hours are sunrise to sunset. They still had to check out the complaints. The LOA now makes your life a living hell if the DNR doesn't. No thanks. I'm done with it. I'm completely rid of those problems now.

Yes Pete, skiing without an observer is totally different. Be advised you don't need one of those down here either so why in WI?????? If I still lived up there, no way would I consider removing the mufflers in my boat since the rebuild. No doubt in my mind I would end up with a ticket sooner or later. Down here, no problem. SS 4" straight pipes now that sound so sweet.

Don't even get me started into the f'ed up snowmobiling laws that are the reason I gave that up 20 years ago. Keep in mind that my father-in-law was a Polaris dealer so I had a couple of pretty bad ass sleds for the period.

Sorry for the rant guys, but I do feel better about it now. I think I'll take my very loud boat down to the lake and do some barefoot fliers without an observer on a mirrored lake without any other boat in sight and it's all completely legal. I do need a driver though. John are you around???? I am loving life!!!!!!!!
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 2:11am
Eddie,
A lot of this stupid legistation is killing recreation. I have not been sledding up north in 7 or 8 years. We used to go to Land O Lakes. You could ride the faster UP trails or the WI forests. Then WI started requiring trail permits. A year or two later MI started. I think the permits used to be 10 or 15 bucks. Now WI charges $35 and MI $45! Eighty bucks!??

Add the cost of fuel getting there, $50 fill ups on the sled a couple times a day, hotel, food, etc, It just aint worth it anymore.

Last winter I sold my Viper (800 miles in 8 years dont cut it) and bought an old 97 Yami 700sx to just ride around here. Now good ol IL is requiring insurance on all sleds. So, next winter I am selling it as well. I am done sledding...pretty sad.

back to mufflers, why are these boats not grandfathered? They were perfectly legal when they were built.... idiot legislators.

speaking of stupid laws, now in IL we are supposed to remove our trailer hitch inserts if they stick out more than 4".
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 3:11am

I've noticed the cops in Florida pretty much leave the loud snowmobiles alone!
-Adam

1973 Skier
ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 12:33pm
And the Harleys, they get a pass here in Wisconsin too.
If we let the professionals do everything it takes all the fun out of youtube
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 2:30pm

back to mufflers, why are these boats not grandfathered? They were perfectly legal when they were built.... idiot legislators.

Simple. You're a recreational boat owner that hasn't been sold off in the economic recession....therefore you must have some sort of expendable income....therfore you are at the mercy of the state to try and get some more of that expendable income....therfore you will abide by their rules....therfore they will make your life a living hell until you....
A) Loose your boat to the economic recession
B) Loose your boat to the frustration level of the several fines you accrue
C) Loose your very cool classic ski boat to a more environmentally friendly, quiet, slow no wake, carbon-based life form powered row boat (but you'll get lots of exercise and the LOA will love you and finally stop complaining about the noise but then they realize that they have nothing to complain about so they set up No Row Zones to piss you off even more)
D) Move out of state

Eddie
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 3:54pm

Eddie - I could not agree with you more, not to turn this into a WI DNR bash, but as I have said before, those guys have way to much power, they are like the Gustapo. They can come on your land, into your house and search for anything with no warrant.

I am at the point where if I could talk my wife into it, we would be moving south as well.

Eddie - I could not agree with you more, not to turn this into a WI DNR bash, but as I have said before, those guys have way to much power, they are like the Gustapo. They can come on your land, into your house and search for anything with no warrant...

I am curious where you got this information. The only ways law enforcement can enter your home without a search warrant are invitation (not asking them not to enter), fresh pursuit, or exigent circumstances. I have written hundreds of search warrants and the constitution hasn't changed.
As far as loud boats on my northern WI chain I really don't like them. I didn't buy property on a beautiful forested chain to hear open exhaust belching noise. The lake patrol does a good job of enforcing the ordinances. That does not mean that an old inboard with a rumble is prohibited. I see them all the time. The loudest boat I know of on our chain is a pre war Hacker Craft triple cockpit, and it never gets complaints. If they are used to ski, board, or foot there is usually no problem. There is a lot of open water to use, repeatedly going past someone's pier will obviously draw complaints. Would it be reasonable if I practiced my drag strip launches in my drag car in front of
your house? Probably not, that is why I do it at Great Lakes Dragaway. Respecting others is a good policy. We all share the lakes and have different ways of enjoying them. If our noise laws cause the loud obnoxious boats to go somewhere else then we have done our job. If you like driving your old rumbly inboard around respectfully I doubt you will have a problem. If you don't like the LOA buy a place on the lake and you will have a vote too.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 4:05pm
This one wasn't even pulled over on Lake Geneva!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

This one wasn't even pulled over on Lake Geneva!

I believe you can operate almost anything on most lakes as long as its done with respect.

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

I am curious where you got this information. The only ways law enforcement can enter your home without a search warrant are invitation (not asking them not to enter), fresh pursuit, or exigent circumstances. I have written hundreds of search warrants and the constitution hasn't changed.

John, I have come in out of the field to find DNR agents in my pole building - "Can I help you?" Response, "We are just looking to see if you have any deer feed stored in here" (I don't, and I made it pretty clear they weren't welcome and they have never come back). The topic of a warrant never came up. Are DNR agents considered LE?

I also had an acquaintance (occasional visitor at our deer camp) who has had DNR agents walk right into his house (allegedly) and start going through there freezer, looking for illegal or poached purses. Obviously this is heresy and I do not know if they somehow positioned a request to enter as an invitation, but certainly no warrant was served. Granted, the guy I know who had this happen is not one of the "sharpest tools in the shed..." At least he is smart enough not to poach... So my understanding was they do not need warrants - if they do, that is good to know, does that apply to trespassing also, i.e. can they walk on to your land w/o an invitation?

I will also admit w.r.t. snowmobiling, the agents in the south are for more attentive to the noise enforcement then the WI DNR agents up north. Completely different story in MI though. My sense is in WI, it is an other opportunity to check for drunk snowmobilers, I am all for getting as many of those knuckleheads off the trails as possible.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2012 at 2:30am

... hmmmmm boats without mufflers!? ..

You mean..they are supposed to have mufflers?!

And Eddie...I don't care much for the reason..weather..rules..bad launch..stuff in the water..I for one sure am glad you are skiing down here. Where we usually have a private..warm..smooth lake whenever we want it!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
BigAir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2012 at 4:10am
I can't imagine a lake cop anywhere in Wisconsin actually enforcing a noise ordinance on any of our lakes. Most of the lake cops here wouldn't even know how to use a db meter. They barely understand the laws with regard to skiing near shore, docks and other boats.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2012 at 4:41am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

... hmmmmm boats without mufflers!? ..

You mean..they are supposed to have mufflers?!

john

John, you know better than to ask me that! I still laugh about the first time my son-in-law rode in my boat. He said I needed to add a radio. I told him I have never owned a boat with one and was not going to start now. Besides the only music I need to listen to is coming out that exhaust pipe!

Bob, I probably wouldnt be as concerned if I didnt know what happened to Reid at Green Lake a few years ago.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2012 at 5:12am

Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

John, I have come in out of the field to find DNR agents in my pole building - "Can I help you?" Response, "We are just looking to see if you have any deer feed stored in here" (I don't, and I made it pretty clear they weren't welcome and they have never come back). The topic of a warrant never came up. Are DNR agents considered LE?

I also had an acquaintance (occasional visitor at our deer camp) who has had DNR agents walk right into his house (allegedly) and start going through there freezer, looking for illegal or poached purses. Obviously this is heresy and I do not know if they somehow positioned a request to enter as an invitation, but certainly no warrant was served. Granted, the guy I know who had this happen is not one of the "sharpest tools in the shed..." At least he is smart enough not to poach... So my understanding was they do not need warrants - if they do, that is good to know, does that apply to trespassing also, i.e. can they walk on to your land w/o an invitation?

I will also admit w.r.t. snowmobiling, the agents in the south are for more attentive to the noise enforcement then the WI DNR agents up north. Completely different story in MI though. My sense is in WI, it is an other opportunity to check for drunk snowmobilers, I am all for getting as many of those knuckleheads off the trails as possible.

Yes, DNR agents are law enforcement. They must abide by the law. Even an informant acting under the direction of law enforcement is considered an agent of the police. People have the greatest protection against unreasonable search and seizure in their home, the reasons I mentioned are the only reasons that they can enter without a search warrant. The out buildings have less of an expectation of privacy as do vehicles. If the building is not secured or it is possible to look inside there is some question and many times it is argued in court. Generally LE is not subject to trespass signs on private property unless asked to leave. Any time police exceed their authority any evidence obtained will be suppressed in a motion to suppress hearing meaning, for instance, the that body, gun, and the notes found near it implicating you in the murder can be suppressed and never used against you. There is a lot more here than I can put in a thread. There are many other things that come into play. Inevitable discovery, probable cause, reasonable suspicion, and other things play a part, and the facts of the situation come into play.
I will use this for instance, some of our tactical guys would carry a 12 pack box (filled with pop cans) and a pizza box in their trunk. This was because many of the smarter underage Partyers would refuse to open the door for fhe police when they went to fhe door. The police could look inside and see underage drinking, but could not enter since they had no warrant (a warrant would not be issued for a misdemeanor), and there were no exigent circumstances or and invitation to enter. The tac guys would instead walk up to the door carrying a 12 pack and a couple of large pizza boxes and would always be invited inside. Once they break the plane of the door on an invitation thay can act on the crimes being committee ( underage drinking, occupant responsibility ect)and make arrests and size evidence. I have found that I was seldom refused when I wanted to enter. Often these are called "knock and talks". They start something like this " Hi, we have had complaints of ........at your house from people in your building / neighborhood. Can I come in and talk to you about it? You don't have anything to hide, do you? I'm sure you don't want the neighbors to see/ hear what we are talking about. If they say you can't enter, you can't enter, period. Most people are law abiding and will talk to the police because they are good citizens and support law enforcement and our constitution. Even bad guys frequently want to convince LE that they have nothing to hide.
All that being said, LE officers are people. Most are highly trained, ethical, and will defend the constitution and your life and property with their lives. Being people, however, their are very good ones, average ones, and some who are not so good. Kinda like mechanics or plumbers, they don't get it right every time, especially when they have to make split second decisions when they are relatively new and inexperienced.
I was an FTO for years and I can tell you that the laws are complex. It is a difficult job and their comes a time that you have to cut each newbie loose and trust their judgement or recommend that they be terminated if they aren't making it, and there are so many ways to not make it. This response is not meant to serve as legal advice, if you want that, contact a lawyer. They are just like police though, some are highly talented, most are highly ethical, and they normally will do their best to represent you. Some are better than others however.
About that noise thing and the WI laws. As I said, we have many old inboards running around the chain unmuffled and they are seldom stopped (except for equipment and sobriety checks) when they operate responsibly. Personally I think most people like the old classics and cut them a lot of slack. If is almost always the ones who push the no wake barrier or spend the day buzzing the same dock that get a ticket. Our lake ordinances dictate no wake within 200 feet of a dock or boat EXCEPT for pulling skiers (or boarders) from a dock or dropping them off. Personally I love to watch skiers/boarders. Many are really great athletes and the show is free. I always donate to our Skiing Skeeters ski team and love to watch their show too.
I am not a boat hater and over the course of a summer there are few ski/board boats that are worthy of complaints. Most of the people are courteous and just looking for a good time wherever they come from. Nothing beats the sounds of yelling and laughter from a bunch of happy boaters/ skiers/boarders/ and yes, even tubers on a beautiful summer day.
And that concludes my epic post.

GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2012 at 7:11am
Steve, looks like in parts of WI you are not allowed to bait deer for hunting or non hunting because of CWD. Sounds like you are in an area like that. Your DNR website is full of info on this stuff. Here's a couple links I found real quick and easy.
rules/laws
De-Bait

These laws give the DNR officers quite a bit of leeway, private property can be accessed if they have reason to believe game, or hunting may be located there. So that gives them pretty free rein. As for the pole building, they can walk in if doors are open anything in plain sight is "fair game". It's not your house so it is different. There must be more to the story your acquaintance told and I have been surprised by the sheer number of "normally law abiding" folks who poach.
This is the life
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2012 at 10:08am
Originally posted by BigAir BigAir wrote:

I can't imagine a lake cop anywhere in Wisconsin actually enforcing a noise ordinance on any of our lakes. Most of the lake cops here wouldn't even know how to use a db meter. They barely understand the laws with regard to skiing near shore, docks and other boats.

Dude, then you haven't spent time on Green Lake... Barney will pull you over if he doesn't particularly like your boat color.... And they are armed with Db meters...

I'd suggest studying the WI lake rules, so when you get the ticket, you know why........

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2012 at 11:23am
John b - yep I get it, I work with Police, Sheriff and fire departments almost on a daily basis. I understand what they deal with and I also have seen the good, average and not so great personnel. My impression was that DNR officers had a lot more leeway (as I have never had Sheriff deputies "wander" on to my property). Good to know they are required to operate under the same search and seizure laws as the rest of the LE community.

Andy, very aware of the the baiting rules, that's why I don't do it and am quite studied on CWD (I believe WI's approach is wrong, WY, CO has the right idea - but that is a completely different thread). Interestingly enough 500 yards south of my property line is different county where baiting is legal. The area my property is in is also very depressed and with the number of gun shots I hear well after sunset AND out of season, there is no doubt in my mind that there a lot of "normal" people poaching. I hope there reasoning is they need to eat, and I guess if that is the case it somewhat justifies, what otherwise I think is a despicable act.

Love this site, not only do I get to talk about boating, but in one thread, I covered work, snowmobiling, hunting and boating - pretty darn cool!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic