NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

reversing gear rotation?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: reversing gear rotation?
    Posted: March-20-2012 at 1:15am
I should know this...... but I'm not 100%

Standard rotation engine goes counter clockwise when looking at the flywheel.
1:1 VD 10-17-004 would turn the same direction in fwd calling for a LH propeller right?

Well the BW manual for this gear says it turns clockwise? WTF?

I have a RH prop. I assume (engine long gone) the OEM engine was a reveser rotation 302. 1978 SN. which would account for the RH wheel I see under the boat.

So am I stupid? Crazy or drunk?
I am pretty sure I'm shopping for a LH prop. But I have been wrong before. You get used to it after a while...
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 1:17am
Wait a minute. The gear doesn't care about engine rotation as long as the pump is turned correctly.

So yeah.. maybe a little tipsy... what direction does it turn?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 11:12am
You need to know which direction your engine spins. I cant figure out which it is based on your post.

The Velvet Drive can be indexed for either direction, but needs to match the engine. It cannot make a LH engine turn a RH prop.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 9:45pm
Thanks TRBenj. That answers my question. I have a LH engine and so now I will need a LH prop.
Right?
politicallycorrect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote politicallycorrect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2012 at 10:04pm
The rotation of the transmission is referenced looking at the the front of the tranny(why? who knows?). The engine rotation is referenced at the rear of the engine. So a standard rotation crankshaft turning counterclockwise at the rear of the engine is turning the pump clockwise on the front of transmission, turning the prop shaft counterclockwise at the rear of the boat. Its all about perspective. So a lefty motor needs a lefty prop.(all learned from the much more experienced guys than me on this site!)
Scott
Skin grows back...fiberglass doesn't!!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2012 at 12:44am
Makes sense only because the pump has cute little directional arrows on the (front) indicating input rotation.

I just found a nice 13 square LH 3 blade for 50$ on the Supra site. Should be here in plenty of time.
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2012 at 9:48am
Am I missing something here? Two references have been made, standard rot = ccw at flywheel = lh prop
Brian
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic