NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Planes, Planes, Planes

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Planes, Planes, Planes
    Posted: March-22-2012 at 5:24pm
So we got way off topic on the "Gas Prices" thread. We can continue the aviation discussion here...

Anyway, I'll post some other pictures as I find them but here is one of my C172 - Skyhawk 2

That's me with one of my neighborhood kids (long before I had kids,when we lived in Grayslake), his Dad would go for airplanes rides with me all the time. Unfortunately, you can't take a picture like this ever again...
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 5:31pm
john b's previous post from "Gas Prices" Thread

Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

wingwrench: Lives in Lakeland, FL, owns Classic Cessna 180 and Piper Cub, building Experimental Super Cub on Floats, Expects to complete Full Restoration on D Model Mustang in next 2 years. Other Hobbies: Water Skiing and Correct Craft Ski boats (probably lives on a lake too).

Yep - that's my dream!

I agree, pretty sweet!
I have been around aircraft all my life. My father was a WWII B24 flight instructor at Muroc where he met my mother, who was a nurse there. They used to go to the Happy Bottom Riding Club, like everyone else stationed there. He was already a pilot and aircraft owner when he signed up. I still have a short snorter that I believe has Pancho's name on it, along with some other people he knew back then. I need to pull it out again, Here is a photo of his first plane, the Stinson, and his last attached, the Skyhawk I ended up with. I miss all the times we spent together. I love the warbirds too. My father knew quite a few people who flew and restored them. The coolest was Bill Ross's P38. I can't resist a couple of photos. My mother and father have both died, but I got a lot of opportunities just by being their son.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t220/72vsonic/IMG_3467.jpg

I would love to see any photos you guys have. I guess this thread exploded long ago, so I don't know if I hijacked it or from whom. Sorry if it is inappropriate. It's just that some said airplane.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 5:53pm
did I tell you guys gas was $4.09/gallon here?

(in keeping with getting off subject/ hyjack I had to post that)

some very cool pics!!!!
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 6:17pm
I used to fly a Rotec Ralley 4b similar to this in the 1980's.

Now thats flying. Boating is the closest thing I have found to flying without the annoying falling from the sky worries.

For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 6:34pm
CLEAR

Round Lake, IL

Grass Lake Rd. bridge separating Fox and Grass lake.

Twin Lakes, WI and Powers Lake in the back.

Geneva Lake

Delavan

Shot from a C172
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 8:53pm
Dave - you just need to get some floats on that ultra light!

Kevin, those look like those could have been taken from my 172. Here is another shot in the winter - and I believe those are some of the Chain Lakes below.

I'll load some more of the flying / airplane shots as I find them.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 8:59pm
Here are some warbird pics - This is strapping into a T6

Some Formation Flying (not quite "Blue Ange"l separation but not bad for old guys...)

The two Steve's, me and the owner...

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 9:09pm
John, that P38 looks like fun - its unbelieveable how easy the warbird trainers fly (T-6, Stearman), but I guess thats kind of the point. Those pictures of your folks are priceless, what a neat story...

Back to more airplanes. Here are a couple of expiremental's that I have flown. First the Lancair, that thing is FAST, FAST, FAST, only plane I have flown with speedbrakes.

Here is a Thorpe T-18, this is one of my favorite airplanes. Fast, aerobatic cable and really small. Thats my Uncle, Cap'n Zee TWA Captain-Retired, Naval Air Officer Anti Submarine and Raceboat Driver holding many speed records and points championships. Driving everything from Unlimited's to little A Class Outboards. That was his plane.

The Skybolt - a great little aerobatic plane that torque rolled me at the top of a loop - SURPRISE!

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 9:13pm
Here is a picture of the cub, this also was an 85 HP version. Loved that airplane, everything is 60 mph. As you can see one of the great things is you can fly that around with the doors and windows open. Nothing better then hearing the wind whistle through all the cables with the engine idling as you are on short final.

GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 9:17pm
What could be down the ice hole?

Down we go

Well waddya know?
This is the life
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 9:24pm
Andy, that was such a cool find, Somewhere I saw a video of it completely restored, right before it's first flight.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 9:28pm
Here is another neat story, this is the famous "All American"

Definitely a tribute to the engineers who designed it, the folks who built it and the guys who flew it. My wife treated one of the great warriors who was associated with this plane (I can't remember if he was the radio man or grounds crew). Anyway he included the following description with the picture.

GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 9:46pm
At the air show

This is the life
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 11:17pm
I started to get my license then 911 happened,
They grounded everybody
I didn't go back
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 11:34pm
Cool thread guys. Have dreamt of getting a pilots license since I was a kid but never followed up on it. I find the WWII bombers fascinating. My wife is originally from England, her parents live in a small village next to what was once a WWII airfield. When we went in the local pub I noticed a bunch of coins hammered into the oak beams above the fireplace. Her dad told me the bomber crews would each stick a coin in the cracks in the beam when they left for a mission. They would pull them out when they returned. If the coin was still in there after the mission returned, it would be hammered over to remain in the beam. There are 100's of coins still there. It was like touching history for me, now that was some risky business!
He who dies with the most toys, wins

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2012 at 11:47pm
Glass, that looks like a p-38, what's up?
76tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 76tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 12:44am
Pretty amazing story on the plane in the ice:

Glacier Girl P-38
He who dies with the most toys, wins

1984 SN2001 - sold
1976 Ski Tique - Sold
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 2:40am
Tom the B17 and other WWII era bombers really made the difference. My neighbor had an uncle who was a tail gunner and was shot down. When he went over to visit the grave site, the local french town people came out to tell him the stories of the day his uncles B17 went down. He said it was amazing how much they appreciate what the US and those planes did.

Here are some more Warbird shots. I used to work pyro tech for the Tora, Tora, Tora show. This is a simulation of the bombing on Pearl Harbor. The "Zero's" would make low passes down the runway and infield and as they would go the pyro tech guys would set off charges simulating bombs. My introduction, "you want to blow stuff up?" Hell YA!

Amazing what a gallon of gasoline (for flash and smoke) some detonation cord (ignition) and a half stick of dynamite (the "thump") will do... Anyway this also provided a great opportunity for some pretty cool pictures.

This shot shows how low these guys actually were, sometimes they would be this low right over the top of us. Crazy to smell the fuel and oil of the planes the smoke from the burning gas, the explosions, the roar of the those beautiful radial engines and those magical Merlin V12's...

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 8:44am
recently they have re-opened the Amelia earhart case, there is a pic with a tail sticking out of the water...(dont know if the last name is the correct spelling)
"the things you own will start to own you"
wingwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 10:11am
This is my 1953 Cessna 180 after restoration, I bought it as a basket case in 1984, first flight was in 1992. Painted in Imron and still shines today, never waxed. Hard to see in the picture but there is a 1/4" gold pinstripe painted on between the black and red. The wheel pants stayed on for about 2 months, it has 8.50-6's now.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 10:34am
Russian An-2. 1000hp, 2 wings and a stand-up cabin. Burned 53 gph at cruise and I got paid to fly it, my fun meter was pegged every time.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 10:43am
I've been through the "Nine O None" a couple times. B17s are all mechanical. Cables running everywhere. We live near the Portland Jetport and it and a B24 came in right over my house. Pretty amazing looking up at them from that angle. You can hear those radial engines coming from quite a distance.

A lot of people served in the air corps during WWII. My father's best friend was a bombadier and died on a B17. My wife's father was a crew chief for one in England.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 10:45am
Another fun toy I got paid to play with, North American AT-6.

Back to work.
politicallycorrect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote politicallycorrect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 10:46am
Here is our latest project before we took the wings off to drag her home.
1960 cessna 150 with a texas taildragger conversion.
Skin grows back...fiberglass doesn't!!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 10:53am
Pretty cool that you guys are into flying and restoring airplanes. I like looking at them, but I have no interest in going up in them.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 11:39am
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Here is a picture of the cub, this also was an 85 HP version. Loved that airplane, everything is 60 mph. As you can see one of the great things is you can fly that around with the doors and windows open. Nothing better then hearing the wind whistle through all the cables with the engine idling as you are on short final.

Steve, that had to have been close to the ultralight experience. I had 50 hp (overkill, some were 27hp) 32 foot wingspan and a dry weight not much over 200 lbs. Top speed 55mph, power on stall of 18mph. It could take off and land in 150 feet. I think it could climb at 500 feet per minute, which is impressive when you are only going 22 mph. I too liked the quiet landings, power off and full forward stick to get it down to, and then stay on the ground.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 11:42am
Whenever I hopped in my car after a flight I would find myself getting to cruising speed and instinctively pulling back on the steering wheel. I miss flying.
1987 Ski Nautique

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 1:02pm
This is kick butt stuff. Steve, will you fly over my parents (and my house) sometime and take some pics? I'd love some of the ski site

Also always been attracted to the B-17 flying fortress. They are amazing.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 1:41pm
These are a few pics from 2009 when my wife and I took a couple week trip to Idaho. Trying to get out there again this summer.

This one is @ Johnson Creek. You hike up the mountain a couple miles and there is a bathtub with hot springs piped into it.

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2012 at 2:27pm
Jack - More envy here! That 180 is absolutely Gorgeous, I have a buddy who has a 190 from the same era, it would be neat to see those two birds as a flight of two. Just how does one get hired to fly an AT-6 for pay? You have had some GREAT gigs!

Scott - That lil 150 is going to be a gem, looks like you need to make sure to include some Tundra tires on the rebuild and fly out and hook up with Pete (Watrski).

Pete - That trip is on my bucket list. Always wanted to try some of that mountain flying and a what a perfect plane to do it in, Great Shots in the mountains!

Bruce - You need to get up in one of these small planes, it is COMPLETELY different then even the smallest of commercial airliners. There is nothing like putting your hands on the yolk or stic and controlling where you go.

Mike - Next time I am in Dubuque with the plane, lets go up, you can take all the pics you want!

Kirk and Tom, you should at least give it a try, arrange an introductory flight, or if you are close to one of these guys (myself included) on this thread shoot them a PM, I bet they would give you a ride. Dave you too should get back in to it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic