NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

lost steering

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lost steering
    Posted: March-24-2012 at 2:50pm
Not the cable... The tilt linkage assy broke into piece and left me w/o steering..
It was at the gas station close to the marina, so i was able to return with a little contrl it still had.
Now it look like i will need to change everything including cable.
Any recomendations on where to find the same morse or is it better to recle with another system?
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2012 at 5:25pm
Hi Kap,

There are a few options here:
http://www.nautiqueparts.com/steering.aspx

You just have to make sure your steering matches your cable.

If you are updating both, I think you have the option of going original or moving to a newer style.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2012 at 5:47pm
www.ebasicpower.com   Look at the web site "maybe" I can
help with shipping, E Basic is just down the road from work.

I've got a bunch of stuff from them over the years.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2012 at 6:14pm
some pictures of the broken parts...

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2012 at 6:27pm
Did (do) you have a tilt setup?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2012 at 6:29pm
yup
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2012 at 6:30pm
and would be willing to replace it with tilt again...can´t go to a fixed system
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2012 at 6:33pm
It's a little confusing to decipher. I can't totally figure out which exact part from the steering page you need.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2012 at 6:42pm
I think the tilt assy, but needs to match the helm, which i don´t know if its universal meaning it fits both tilt and non tilt or has to be specific...
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2012 at 7:51pm
Sure it's not this thing?:
http://www.nautiqueparts.com/steeringheadandbootfor1991-1992tiltwheelsystems.aspx

What makes it tougher is that they were apparently changing setups right around that time.

It looks like if it is in fact the tilt assembly, and you replace it, you'll have to replace the cable as well, to go with the newer assembly. Looks like the sell both the original style and newer style cable, but only the newer style helm. So, new helm, would mean new cable too.

Take a close look at your cable end, and see what you've got:

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2012 at 7:55pm
Or you might have this, which maybe you do for a 92. Ooof, it's a complicated year.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2012 at 8:03pm
yep its that last one...
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2012 at 8:05pm
anyhow I was planing on replacing the cable, as far as I know its the original one   
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2012 at 8:31pm
Kap,

HERE'S something. Don't know if it's right, but it's on E-Bay
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2012 at 8:45pm
I think you'd be better off to swap it out to rack and pinon instead of the rotary. I'll bet your cable is worn out too, was it hard to steer? or could you steer with one finger?
This is the life
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2012 at 10:55pm
pull it out and take a pic, i have one in my garage and i will look at it tommorow, its from a 92
"the things you own will start to own you"
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2012 at 3:49am
Yes it was hard
Plan was to replace the cable anyway.
Will see whats needed upon dissasemble
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 4:44pm
I´m yet to put my hands on the boat and start to take everything appart, still not sure waht to do.
tomorrow most likely i will go.
Question: the column on the 90´s has a tapered or splined shaft?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 4:47pm
seeing the pictures looks like I need to replace the helm, as is appears that the shaft end that connects to the column is broken also you can see it in the last picture i posted
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 4:58pm
Correct Craft changed steering systems every year or 2 in the early-mid 90's. Im guessing theres a reason for that. You may want to call Jody and see what he would recommend. A full up replacement may be the best course of action, as opposed to buying an oddball cable or helm.

To answer your question, CC used the same steering wheel from ~1985-1994... so I would be surprised if you dont have the standard 3/4" tapered shaft.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 5:10pm
depending on the condition of the helm, my idea is to replace everything (helm, column, cable) so if I´m there I was wondering if better change to a rack system of keep the rotary...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 5:57pm
Somebody else must have had this problem and upgraded the system.
I bet there's alot of guys driving these with stiff steering/worn out cables. When theres alot of effort to turn the wheel somethings gotta give sooner or later.

It's about $400 to swap out everything to a rack system 3/4 taper, you should be able to use your old steering wheel.

Do like Tim said and check with Jody to see what people are swapping to.

I upgraded my 90 Sanger and we are going to do Roy's too since his cable is worn out. He realized this after driving mine which is effortless to steer. He wants his wife to be able to drive. Sanger had a cable that is no longer made so when the cable wears out we have to replace everything.

I used CP Performance and Dana Marine Products to get a helm/tilt, cable and rack. I can get part numbers. if you need them.
This is the life
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

depending on the condition of the helm, my idea is to replace everything (helm, column, cable) so if I´m there I was wondering if better change to a rack system of keep the rotary...

Is keeping the rotary an option? You'd have to get a rotary helm from somewhere.

What are all the components involved, I think I have most of it, but some of the parts listed on Nautiqueparts were confusing me a little. I'll start with the easy stuff:

1.) Rudder

2.) Steering Wheel

3.) Helm: Is there just one part here? Or a separate tilt mechanism and helm/pinion deal?

4.) Cable, has to be matched with the helm

6.) Does the Steering Clamp Block Mount need to be changed out as well when going from Rotary to Rack & Pinion, or can it be re-used?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 6:52pm
He won't need a rudder, won't need a steering wheel(might need a $20 adapter) won't need steering block mount.

will need helm, tilt, cable/rack.

Is the current helm round where it contacts the dashboard?
If yes-it may work/blend so well that no one will ever be able to tell its been changed except for the smooth as butter steering.
This is the life
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 8:15pm
I´ll be at the boat tomorrow taking apart everything. I will try to pull the cable also, any trick on doing this?
Is it possible to remove it with the gas tank in place or needs to be removed for better access? mine is full so that would be a pia!

I was looking at the uflex kits either fixed or tilt, and they are available locally, but don´t know quality wise how they compare to a morse or a teleflex....
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 8:17pm
andy yes it has a round hole and a couple of bolts around, then the rubber boot that covers everything...
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 8:20pm
Kap, if you pull the cable, and don't have a new one yet, try to attach a line or something to the end as you pull it out. That way, you don't lose your "path" for putting the new one in. Not sure on the tank, you might need to remove your back seat though.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 10:05pm
I used the teleflex stuff, it has gone up a bit in price since I did mine. Looks like part numbers have changed too. I used SH91500P tilt, SH91610P Helm-tilt, SSC134-20 cable. I had to get a hub adapter for $20 and a new steering wheel because the sanger wheel was 3 bolt designed for the "Rideguide" steering system they used back then.

You could probably use any brand available to you just get the rack style. Although I don't know how they compare quality wise. Generally rotary is not as good as rack.

You can see on skidim that the later Nautiques all used rack systems.

I don't think you'll need to pull the tank, but if you pull out the backseat,doghouse and the center floor board to open up the area over the rudder/steering block mount it will be easy to access.

pay some attention to where the cable is clamped to the steering block mount. you will want to be sure when you put the new one in that you have full swing of the rudder to both left and right.

The hardest part is probably taking that interior stuff out- And if you can remove drivers seat its way easier to get under the dash the job will be much easier and worth the time to pull the seat.

The best part is once you do this your boat will drive like new. A little girl could drive it.

I can't believe there is not a "how to swap out steering" thread on here???? ---I didn't search for one though.
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 10:12pm
I'm not sure why but a lot of guys are in denial about their steering being worn out, it just gradually gets stiffer and stiffer til something breaks and so people drive boats with worn out steering way past when it should be replaced.

They always want to grease the cable and search for zerk fittings when its simply a worn out cable and time to replace, the cables are not greaseable.
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 10:22pm
Heres the proof of the little girl can steer it.
She thought she was gonna die! LOL

Here is her mom, I'm teaching them both how to foot.

This is the life
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic