NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

auto code readers/reset

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: auto code readers/reset
    Posted: March-25-2012 at 3:59pm
I am thinking of purchasing an auto code reader/reset unit, what do i need for minimal home use? would something like this work?

amazon code reader
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2012 at 4:21pm
One thinks that when you plug in a code reader that whatever pops up code wise is the problem, more times than none a bad reading or a code that pops is from another source of a problem, you have to know the parameters of what is bad and this code reader that you are showing will not give it...more troubleshooting is involved than just plugging in a code reader
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2012 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

One thinks that when you plug in a code reader that whatever pops up code wise is the problem, more times than none a bad reading or a code that pops is from another source of a problem, you have to know the parameters of what is bad and this code reader that you are showing will not give it...more troubleshooting is involved than just plugging in a code reader

But Eric, this is why we now have "techs" working on our engines! They are the ones that know all!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2012 at 4:29pm
many times they pull into autozone for the free code reading, Auto bone sells them the 200.00 part and the code pops again
"the things you own will start to own you"
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2012 at 4:41pm
Eric, I learned as a paramedic to treat the patient, not the cardiac monitor, but the reader is a helpful tool to get some more information when that stupid check engine light comes on and the car seems to be running perfect, which is the case right now with two of my vehicles. The dealer will charge me fifty bucks to read the code. My backyard mechanic usually does it for free, but he is 25 miles away. I would also like to be able to reset it when I leave the gas cap off.(I know it should be easier just to remember to put the cap back on but sometimes the ADD kicks in.)
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2012 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

I am thinking of purchasing an auto code reader/reset unit, what do i need for minimal home use? would something like this work?

amazon code reader

Yes, David---- that would be fine. Check your local Auto Zone though-- I got mine on SALE for $29.99

When you pull a code-- Go online and just type in the code and your make of car, and read up on it. Get an idea of the 'diagnosis' of the problem.

66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2012 at 7:02pm
For $120 you can get a "scanner" that will tell you the parameters, like Eric mentioned. While they might not tell you all the parameters you are looking for, it will have many. They do refresh slower than a high dollar one, but they still work. But you still need a reference source, because the readers do not have it on board.
Matco, Snap-on, and Mac all sell them.   I carry one in each vehicle I drive, and one in my tool box. Most are made by a company called Launch. You'd have to catch one of the tool trucks, but I bet they have them online
The scanner you posted is the very basic tool you could purchase. The extra $70 would be well spent to upgrade, you'd be so much happier.   

That one might pop a bunch of "code defined by manufacturer", or "code not found" not getting you any closer to the problem.    
If we let the professionals do everything it takes all the fun out of youtube
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2012 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

Check your local Auto Zone though-- I got mine on SALE for $29.99

Marty,
I'm in absolute shock!!! You are recommending Autozone???? What's up with your place of employment????

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2012 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Marty,
I'm in absolute shock!!! You are recommending Autozone???? What's up with your place of employment????

Mr.PeteB----where have you been
UNEMPLOYED
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2012 at 7:37pm

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Marty,

Mr.PeteB----where have you been
UNEMPLOYED

Marty,
WOW!! sorry I missed that post. That was around the time I had to go up north and out of internet contact. Still I'm shocked and of course wish the best to you. Keep up the good work you have always done for the site no matter what happens with your employment.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic