NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

176 or Ski Tique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 176 or Ski Tique
    Posted: March-31-2012 at 8:35pm
I had a 176. You can make it work just fine for recreational boarding with some sacs. Had it long before i started surfing. They get very small very fast with a sac or two. You wont be bringing many peeps with you.

One of my buds has an 81 ski nautique and i have surfed behind it with just people piled in the corner. The surf wake will never be good,and you would probably want a slightly longer board, but short, narrow boat surfing is possible. Biggest issue i see on a boat of that vintage at surfing speed is carbon monoxide poisoning.
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
txpilot83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txpilot83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2012 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

That red one looks pretty mint. He's mistaken on calling it a V-Drive, but that was properly just a typo.

I came really close to buying a 176 but the dealer that had it was selling it, was selling it on consignment and couldn't/wouldn't budge on price, but had mine for a better price.

I'm actually happy with the additional space. With the full sized Ski Nautique, two adult observers can fit in the observers bench no problem.

I don't think you'll like any direct drive for surfing, if that's your main thing. Guys have definitely fat sacked their boats to the gills and been able to surf them. But, if that's your primary activity, you might want to keep saving for a V-Drive.

The red one does look really nice but 12K seems high to me. If Im going to pay 12K for a 16 year old 17ft ski boat it better be mint, have the gt40, and a trailer that will allow the boat to fit in my garage. What do you guys think the market value for a 176 is right now?

I think the second one that looks rough is a consignment boat. After looking at the pics I dont think its worth over 6K. I guess I could always call and make an offer but i dont want to insult the owner by offering 2/3 of the asking price.

Its a good point about the the small size of the 176 but thats why they are appealing to me. Ill only be going out with a few people for a couple hours after work. If I want to spend the day at the lake with a lot of friends Im lucky enough to be able to use my folks lake place 2 hours away where they have a big bowrider I/O.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2012 at 3:05pm

He's mistaken on calling it a V-Drive, but that was properly just a typo.

Some people refer to Velvet drives as V-drives, probably having heard teh term and probably not realizing a V-drive is a completely different animal.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2012 at 1:58pm
That red one looks pretty mint. He's mistaken on calling it a V-Drive, but that was properly just a typo.

I came really close to buying a 176 but the dealer that had it was selling it, was selling it on consignment and couldn't/wouldn't budge on price, but had mine for a better price.

I'm actually happy with the additional space. With the full sized Ski Nautique, two adult observers can fit in the observers bench no problem.

I don't think you'll like any direct drive for surfing, if that's your main thing. Guys have definitely fat sacked their boats to the gills and been able to surf them. But, if that's your primary activity, you might want to keep saving for a V-Drive.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by txpilot83 txpilot83 wrote:

Here are a couple I found close to me:
http://easttexas.craigslist.org/boa/2904606774.html
http://www.swrvandmarine.com/viewitem.php?id=711&basename=watercraft

proper link 1
proper link 2

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
txpilot83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txpilot83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by Infinite5ths Infinite5ths wrote:

Not selling :-)

It's the carburated 260HP PCM model PLD - very simple and effective.

I love the small size - better fuel economy & handling; easier to store; easier to tow

We are skiers - no boarders or surfers - so I can't give you feedback on that sport.

Dont blame you for not wanting to sell. I really like the colors on yours too. Im guessing the carbureted one would be easier to work on and cheaper to get parts for.

Here are a couple I found close to me:

http://easttexas.craigslist.org/boa/2904606774.html
Seems really nice kinda high on the price. I dont think the trailer tongue collapses either so Id have to get a different one to fit in the garage.

http://www.swrvandmarine.com/viewitem.php?id=711&basename=watercraft
I hate to say it but this one looks like a turd. I wouldnt pay over 6K for it.
Infinite5ths View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Infinite5ths Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 9:14pm
Not selling :-)

It's the carburated 260HP PCM model PLD - very simple and effective.

I love the small size - better fuel economy & handling; easier to store; easier to tow

We are skiers - no boarders or surfers - so I can't give you feedback on that sport.
txpilot83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txpilot83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 8:59pm

Purchased last July for ~$9,000 with 44hrs (<< NOT a typo) on the original motor

She's in terrific shape, with 78hrs now; and we're already skiing this season in NC.

I can re-measure the garage width & depth if it would help. The Wesco trailer with removable tongue makes it possible to fit in the garage. But you have to be pretty precise backing it through the door. ;-)

I appreciate it but unless your willing to sell it to me no need to measure.

You got a steal on that thing. What engine does it have? Do you have any reservations on not buying a bigger one? Have you ever tried to surf behind it?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Infinite5ths Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 8:18pm
Purchased last July for ~$9,000 with 44hrs (<< NOT a typo) on the original motor

She's in terrific shape, with 78hrs now; and we're already skiing this season in NC.

I can re-measure the garage width & depth if it would help. The Wesco trailer with removable tongue makes it possible to fit in the garage. But you have to be pretty precise backing it through the door. ;-)
txpilot83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txpilot83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 7:04pm

My garage is less than 20' deep. Our 1996 Nautique 176 fits in WITH platform (it can't be removed); but we have to take the trailer tongue out/off and back the trailer in at an angle.

You got a nice one. If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for it and when did you buy it?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 5:44pm
Really nice boat you have there Mike
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Infinite5ths Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 5:01pm
My garage is less than 20' deep. Our 1996 Nautique 176 fits in WITH platform (it can't be removed); but we have to take the trailer tongue out/off and back the trailer in at an angle.
txpilot83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txpilot83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 3:56pm

If you want a 176, this one came up recently:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forsale/details.asp?ID=6253

If you're at all serious about the 176, I'd pop on it now, and ask questions later, if it's even still available.

This one looks to be a gem and they don't come up often.

It's a nice one. Already made an offer on it but no dice.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Well, first you are going to have to narrow down some things here You can get a , 196 or a SNOB in a 20 foot garage no problem. It's all about the right trailer and the removing the stock swim platform.

Im not so sure about that. A 90-02 Ski Nautique or a 02+ 196 is going to be 19'6" long. Add a few inches for the pitots at the rear, and a few inches for the garage door to shut, and theres really no way the boat will fit in a 20' deep garage... you'd have to angle it across multiple bays.

Agreed, I have about 23.5 feet to work with and my 19'6" only fits with platform removed and trailer tongue raised, straight in. Gives us just enough room to shimmy around the raised trailer tongue to get to the car. The 1990 (different trailer) fit straight in but again with no platform.

Yep, I measured at home during lunch. It's a 21 foot garage. With the swing tounge and the platform off, the boat fit straight in. But remember, it wasn't a factory trailer...
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

1989SN2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 2:52pm
I have a 2001 with removable swim platform and swing away trailer tounge, I am 90% sure it would fit in a 20' garage with those changes, but I can measure it end to end tonight and verify.

No way on the original trailer though.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 2:51pm
[QUOTE=TRBenj] The 2001 will not fit in a 20' garage any way you cut it, I dont think. Unless maybe you could angle it across 2 bays. Even then it would be close. 2001's are 18'9", then add the length of the platform (brackets are not made to be removed) and the trailer tongue (not foldable on an original trailer) and youre well beyond 20'.

[QUOTE]

My 2001 is 24' tongue to swim step.   It barely fits in my 23'6 garage on an angle with everything installed.   you could probably get the 2001 into your garage if you did the removeable tongue and swim step, but it's gonna be tight!
panda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 2:22pm
I have a closed bow ski nautique, and its tiny. I'd recommend something bigger for boarding and surfing

95 Ski Nautique GT40
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 2:20pm
^^I'm realizing my above comment sounded a little careless. You should obviously do your due-dilgence when making a major purchase like buying a boat. I was basically just saying that that one will probably move fast if it's as nice as described.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 2:18pm
   Thats as good as it gets!

If you're at all serious about the 176, I'd pop on it now, and ask questions later, if it's even still available.

- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 1:59pm

Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 12:48pm
2 people and a cooler and the Tique is full. That being said IT'S SO MUCH FUN!!! - but it is what it is.

Buy a 176 and go to the lake. If its in your blood you can always buy another project Tique to tinker with.

We have a 86 2001 and its my "dream boat" but I still want another
Ski-Tique I miss it and I'd like to have a 206 all white with a small black stripe. PLEASE.

- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Well, first you are going to have to narrow down some things here You can get a , 196 or a SNOB in a 20 foot garage no problem. It's all about the right trailer and the removing the stock swim platform.

Im not so sure about that. A 90-02 Ski Nautique or a 02+ 196 is going to be 19'6" long. Add a few inches for the pitots at the rear, and a few inches for the garage door to shut, and theres really no way the boat will fit in a 20' deep garage... you'd have to angle it across multiple bays.

Agreed, I have about 23.5 feet to work with and my 19'6" only fits with platform removed and trailer tongue raised, straight in. Gives us just enough room to shimmy around the raised trailer tongue to get to the car. The 1990 (different trailer) fit straight in but again with no platform.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

txpilot83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txpilot83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 12:28pm

For some reason 176 owners think these boats are lined with gold...

Moj'

You got that right.

You know a lot more about this than I do but I just dont see a 196 fitting. I know in theory with a swing way tongue and platform removed it should but in reality I think it would take an excessive amount a KY jelly.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 11:56am

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 11:52am
The Ski Tique will fit in a 20' garage if it doesnt have a platform (which was optional starting in '78). Better have someone measure their platform-equipped Tique if you want to consider those... it may be tight.

The 2001 will not fit in a 20' garage any way you cut it, I dont think. Unless maybe you could angle it across 2 bays. Even then it would be close. 2001's are 18'9", then add the length of the platform (brackets are not made to be removed) and the trailer tongue (not foldable on an original trailer) and youre well beyond 20'.

A 176 has a chance of fitting in a 20' garage. It will have a removable platform, and may have a trailer with a foldable tongue.

In terms of functionality on the water, I would HIGHLY encourage you to try each type out prior to buying something. I would guess that you could surf a 176 ok, but it wont be great. The 2001 can be made to surf, but you basically have to load the boat down to the rubrail (dangerous). I have yet to try a vintage hull like the Tique, but I suspect it may not surf well, since its just so darn small.

The Ski Tique is an incredibly small boat. Ive skied off mine with 4 people. Add all the required gear and it is TIGHT. Under normal conditions, Id say 3 would be the max you would want to do, if everyone is to remain semi-comfortable (and even thats pushing it).

The 2001 is in a whole 'nother world in terms of roominess, especially if you look at the 87+ version. Much bigger, and much more functional ski machine.

The 176 is surprisingly big inside for a 18' boat... the deck is very short and its pretty wide (91") so it compares pretty favorably to a 2001 in terms of roominess. You can probably fit more people and gear comfortably in this boat than the other choices.

If you do get a Tique, I would highly discourage going the "custom" route. There really isnt a whole lot you can do to improve its functionality- its just so darn small. Its a very charming vintage boat and it can certainly be used to ski all you want... but trying to make it into something its not just seems like a waste.

Storage is important... but you should really be basing the purchase decision on how you plan to use the boat, not where you need to store it.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 11:48am
Well, first you are going to have to narrow down some things here because you are widely all over the place...

First, Look at your budget. If you've got the cash for a 176, then it's a no brainer. You can find a GT40/176 and get all the power you would ever need, no wood to worry about, updated everything and as much room as that size boat is going to supply. Forget the Tique...

Second, look at the function.. These boats will do what you want for the exception of Surfing. You are not going to get enough weight in that boat, carry 4 people and your gear and think to go surf for the day. It's not going to happen.

Third, Look at a different boat all together. You can get a , 196 or a SNOB in a 20 foot garage no problem. It's all about the right trailer and the removing the stock swim platform. You'll have a ton more room. The SNOB will give you the play pen up front and plenty of room for ballast sacs in the back to surf.. You'll probably find what you're looking for here before you will a decent 176, and for the same money. For some reason 176 owners think these boats are lined with gold...

Good Luck in your search. At least you picked the right boat company....

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

txpilot83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txpilot83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 11:31am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

I recommend you eliminate the 20 ft constraint & get a larger boat to start with (Sport Nautique, for instance). 4 persons in the small boats gets crowded. Also, the wake surfing will not be very good.

Can you bump out the back of the garage? (this is what I did) Leave the boat outside? You can also get a boat with removable trailer tongue & platform.

Not sure what you mean by bump out the back of the garage. Unfortunately, my HOA would have have a cow if I left a bout outside. I think the only way any of the boats would fit is with the swim platform off and tongue removed.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 10:49am
I recommend you eliminate the 20 ft constraint & get a larger boat to start with (Sport Nautique, for instance). 4 persons in the small boats gets crowded. Also, the wake surfing will not be very good.

Can you bump out the back of the garage? (this is what I did) Leave the boat outside? You can also get a boat with removable trailer tongue & platform.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 8:33am
"the things you own will start to own you"
txpilot83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txpilot83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2012 at 3:08am
I’m torn between a 176, ski tique, or possibly a 2001 and hoping you guys can help me out. I’m looking for a smaller ski boat that will fit in my 20x20 garage with a full size truck (basically 10x20 is what I have to work with).

I will be going out with 1-4 people using the boat for wakeboarding, slalom, and wake surfing (tubes are for tires, not boats). How well would these boats be at each of these? Is it even possible to wakesurf a ski tique or 176? (Ive been searching this site for years on the subject and it remains to be a mystery)

I’m leaning towards the 176 for the reliability of a newer boat and being all composite.

If I get a Ski Tique I know it will fit in the garage no problem but I’m scared ill be disappointed with the lack of room and wake for boarding and surfing.

If I get a tique Im looking for a cheap project boat that I can completely modernize just the way I want it with new stringers, engine (if i could find a used one, would it be possible to retrofit a GT40 in a tique?), custom trailer, interior, system, tower, swim platform, underwater lights, dual batteries, ect….I want to do almost all the work myself but I know a retro-rebuild would be very pricy and hundreds of hours of work.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic