Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

what is it?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
great78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote great78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what is it?
    Posted: October-04-2005 at 8:16pm
does anyone know what the white texture stuff is all over the stingers, inside the motor cover etc? Also what would you advise paint wise to clean up some of those areas?
Bill336 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill336 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2005 at 10:42pm
Great question, I was wondering the same thing.
trikeaholic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trikeaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2005 at 11:57pm
check out this unconventional idea I had. I once saw a mastercraft on ebay with the complete interior done in Rhinoliner. (the truck bed stuff) When I took out my carpeting, my "white stuff" had some stress cracks and chips and dings. At work we sell Rustoleum DYI truck bed liner and I figured "now that is a good idea" Instead of fiberglassing, resin mixing, etc. why not just roll this stuff over the floor, filling any cracks, voids, etc. and re-carpeting? So, thats what im gonna do. after I epoxy and glass the large cracks (on 90* corners) Im gonna roll this stuff all over the place!
1980 Ski Nautique
Ithaca NY
My Boat
79nautique View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2005 at 12:48am
The stuff you are refering to is call fiberglass. It's just not a lay-up style application. The rhino stuff or simular materials is kind of cheesie. But Haaayyyy knock your-self out, if you like it. Easy leak stopper for aluminum boats as well.
Bill336 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill336 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2005 at 6:15am
Actually it looks like more of a thickened resin that was sprayed on. After grinding it, it doesn't look like it has fiberglass in it or what you'd expect from a chopper gun. More like a heavy fleckstone paint that was applied over the glass in the bottom and covering the stringers. It's only in the bilge and over the floor, not on the hullsides (except for some overspray) or on the stringers under the floor.
Jared Johnston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Johnston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2005 at 12:01pm
They actually sprayed a thick gelcoat into the bilge to seal up the glass and prevent water from getting into the stringers. I believe this is what you're referring too.
A boat is just a hole in the water to toss your money into. Here is mine! http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=865&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1976&yrend=1980
great78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote great78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2005 at 12:05pm
thanks for the help. sounds like experimentation time!
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2005 at 12:43pm
The Rhino liner sounds like a good idea for a ski-club boat, they just get trashed and soggy anyway.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
trikeaholic View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trikeaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2005 at 3:50pm
why not use it to seal up the floor and re-carpet? who would know its there? only the water that wouldnt get in.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic