Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question/topic for admin and mods

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Polar Express View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polar Express Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question/topic for admin and mods
    Posted: April-11-2012 at 10:21pm
My topic is privacy.

First of all, I want to make sure I am respectful and polite at all times. I appreciate the opportunity to join the forum you have made and maintain. Thank you.

My concern is privacy. When I filled out my profile, during my application, I gave my real name on the profile, as it is a required field. This has been normal in every forum I belong to. But, something that I didn't notice until recently, is there is not a way to keep that information private. There are some folks that will use real names when addressing folks on the forum. While they may feel that is more polite, and personal, some folks may wish to keep that information private. Sure, some folks will use their real names in their profile alias, but others do not.

I'm certainly not upset at those folks that use our real names, (as a matter of fact, I bet they are doing so to show they care), and I always sign my real name in my private messages. However, can we add a feature to be able to keep our real names private in the member control panel?

In my short membership tenure here, all I have seen is polite, happy folks, here to help other folks and to get help from other helpful, kind, happy folks. I love that about this place! And, I certainly don't want to ruin that. I'm not looking to write an unpleasant message, and hide who I am, I just appreciate privacy.

Thanks for reading and considering my request, I look forward to any discussion, and the eventual decision.

PE
1996 Sport Nautique

This is America, if you don't like it, go conquer another country, and start your own.

I'll keep my God, my guns and my freedom, Barry can keep his 'change'
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2012 at 11:22pm
Polar,

I think you are ok. Yes, many on here do use first names, which is a nice touch, especially since there are many of us that meet in person. But, I certainly appreciate your desire for privacy and anonimity. Some on here kind of pressure members to use their real names, but I am sympathetic to those who wish to remain just a screen name. All that being said, even if entering your real name is needed to sign up, I dont see that it becomes public info anywhere. Your real name is listed as private in your profile. I am guessing unless someone has "computer hacking skills" (quote Napoleon Dynamite) then your real name will remain private and secure.
Polar Express View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polar Express Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2012 at 12:32am
75 'tique,

My real name was in my profile, until today, when I went in there and changed it to the word 'private'. I only did so after I could not find a way to make that info private.

I fully understand the personal touch that using real names does give, and I can appreciate it as well. Your example of meeting other members in real life is wonderful, and well-understood.

Thank you for understanding my desire for privacy is not a malicious one, nor do I intend it to be a disrespectful gesture.

Anyway, I am hoping an Admin, or mod can get back to me at some time with regards to my request, and until then, I hope they are not upset that I removed my name from my profile.

PE
1996 Sport Nautique

This is America, if you don't like it, go conquer another country, and start your own.

I'll keep my God, my guns and my freedom, Barry can keep his 'change'
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2012 at 8:45am
There are many here with empty profiles and that is not a problem. Site culture makes it nice to add a first name and region which allows for first name use and an idea when responding to questions like winterization. If you are in a witness relocation program or something make stuff up, we will never know.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2012 at 10:20pm
I don't think registration is screened, so leave it as private and carry on soldier.
ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 5:20am

This might help.

https://www.torproject.org/
If we let the professionals do everything it takes all the fun out of youtube
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 9:06am
You will find that this group is more like a club, or a family. We share ideas and throw jabs, but we also share each others good fortune (except lottery winnings) and share each others sadnesses. You will find for the most part some of the most friendly, knowledgeable and willing to help folks unlike any other forum. Try to get to a reuninion and you come home with a couple dozen new friends.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 11:23am
The question I would pose is why are you worried about it? What do you think someone is going to do with your name? If I am a criminal or something how is knowing your name going to help me? There are many other ways for me to find that out.

You realize if you are a homeowner there is way more information about you that is public. If I drive by your house, I can look up your name, address what you paid for your house. I can do a court search and see if you have had any speeding tickets ever been sued etc.

So I guess I see no negative outcome by putting your name. If you are really worried, put your first name but not your last. We just like to use first names around here.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 12:12pm
Some of my favorite code names:
Howie Feltersnatch
Herb Eversmelt
Buster Cherry
d*ck Burnes
ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2012 at 4:46pm
Yeah, your anonymity is shot now.

We are going to wonder now.   
If we let the professionals do everything it takes all the fun out of youtube
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic