NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Poor Man's GT40 Diagnosis

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678
Author
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2012 at 12:14pm
EEC Relay Fixed Engine Loping as described here:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24848&PN=1&title=gt40-engine-loping

Updated the Spreadsheet with Lewy's findings.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2012 at 4:08pm
Cool, thanks

Updated Spreadsheet
east tx skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2012 at 3:17pm
I'll play.

Symptoms: Boat would start and idle fine. But when pulling up a skier, it would go about 10 yards and completely die. You'd wait about 15 seconds and it would restart, idle fine, and die on the hole shot.

Solution: Replace antisiphon valve.

Cost: $11

Labor time: About 20 minutes.
1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

Foot_Fungus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foot_Fungus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2012 at 12:51pm
While I'm sure CC used a varied PCM tune, I highly doubt they reinvented the wheel with the components and sensors. You should be able to scan these in much the same way you would scan its automotive variant. That being said the gt-40 is a super common engine and has several forums dedicated to it that have thousands of problem/solution threads. The majority of issues you would have on the boat version are probably well covered and common in the automotive forums. All we'd need to do is gather that info and put it over here.

To me pre obd-2 systems were always iffy on codes, I always had better luck finding someone with a related problem then breaking out the ohm meter to check the component that solved the problem.

That being said I think you're table is a good idea, gives people a quick list of common issues/solutions to check.
harriss28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harriss28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2012 at 8:53pm
There may be a way to get the codes without a scan tool using a test light or analog multimeter. One could also tie into the check engine light. Once wired to the check engine light on the dash, you could jump one wire and count the blinks of the check engine light.

The is for EEC-IV Ford engines. Im not sure if it will work for our boats, but I will let you know if it works.

http://www.thorssell.net/hbook/eectest.html

Shawn

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2012 at 6:42pm
My idea for this thread is to have a place to summarize common GT40 problems and their solutions. Each Problem-Fix combination will be one datapoint. That way, there is a running reference. This would not be so much a place to ask questions, but a place to post the fix and a link to the thread where the problem was resolved.

My thinking is that the diagnosis for these motors is a little trickier, since they've moved beyond traditional tuning, but scan tools can be a little expensive and obscure as well. I'm going to attempt to update and re-post the following table as time goes on. I can also add/modify the problems and add new fixes as it becomes necessary.

Just because a problem has a found fix once, doesn't mean not to post it again. I'm hoping to come up with a true data table, that will show the probability for each fix. Here is my blank slate:

GT40 Spreadsheet on Google Docs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678
  Share Topic