NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Poor Man's GT40 Diagnosis

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 7>
Author
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2015 at 1:03pm
Full Ignition Tuneup (including replacing rusty cap) solves a miss at WOT and reduced top speed, as described here:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35916&PN=1&title=95-ski-gt40-question

Link to spreadsheet is the same as above.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2015 at 10:10am
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2015 at 1:15pm
Broken KIll Switch/Lanyard causes engine to start, but die as soon as key is moved away from start position, as described here:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36251&title=key-switch

Spreadsheet updated, same link as above.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2015 at 12:48am
Bad low pressure pump causes hot start immediate stall due to lack of pump prime.. Tougher to replace on V-drive Super Sport, but everything is in reach. I crawled into the adjacent storage area to make it easier on myself. Take a few pics when you do it so you can see how things go back together. Also...might want to buy the male end of the connector that comes with the replacement pump to splice into the circuit wires. I'm going to solder and heat shrink the wires.
2008 MasterCraft 197TT
1996 Nautique Super Sport
1988 Waterlogged Supra Mariah
ejnautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejnautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2015 at 6:35am
I have a 2002 Air Nautique with a GT40 engine. Yesterday I was cruising along at 25 MPH, felt a slight shudder and a few seconds later the engine went dead. It would not restart. Ran perfectly before this. Any ideas on diagnosis? We tried starter fluid and the engine fired over, but would not continue to run, so my thought was fuel. Not sure where to start to narrow down the root cause. Appreciate any help. Local marinas are backed up 10 days during peak vacation period.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2015 at 10:07am
Check your relays on back of motor. Sounds like your injectors aren't firing or not getting fuel.
If the relays don't fix the problem check to see if you have fuel pressure at the fuel rail.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2015 at 10:33am
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

Bad low pressure pump causes hot start immediate stall due to lack of pump prime.. Tougher to replace on V-drive Super Sport, but everything is in reach. I crawled into the adjacent storage area to make it easier on myself. Take a few pics when you do it so you can see how things go back together. Also...might want to buy the male end of the connector that comes with the replacement pump to splice into the circuit wires. I'm going to solder and heat shrink the wires.

Peter, so the Low Pressure Pump fixed it?

Originally posted by ejnautique ejnautique wrote:

I have a 2002 Air Nautique with a GT40 engine. Yesterday I was cruising along at 25 MPH, felt a slight shudder and a few seconds later the engine went dead. It would not restart. Ran perfectly before this. Any ideas on diagnosis? We tried starter fluid and the engine fired over, but would not continue to run, so my thought was fuel. Not sure where to start to narrow down the root cause. Appreciate any help. Local marinas are backed up 10 days during peak vacation period.

Paul (EJ Nautique), be sure to remember to post your fix when you find it.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2015 at 12:17am
98AirBoat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98AirBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2015 at 5:32pm
98 Air-Nautique GT-40 runs great for several hours, turn to pickup wake boarder when the engine dies as if the lanyard was pulled. Lanyard was on and engine would crank with no fire. Towed back by a 25HP pontoon at 3mph. Fix was a 30 amp inline fuse in the battery box on the small red wire. Was the second thing I checked thanks to these forums....
Get air or go home!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2015 at 4:29pm
Thanks for the input Tim. I logged your 30 amp inline fuse fix in the spreadsheet under:

EDIT: Per Lewy's correction below
I have now added a new row to the spreadsheet and put the entry under:

Fused Line in Batt
Box for EEC Power

Updated spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17VemuIOaa9i8kEply-ZmFOSyjyzz8rd7B0WEuIT_6S0/edit?usp=sharing
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2015 at 7:02am
Brian that is the fuse in the battery box for the EEC power not fuel pumps. It is the known problem that PCM released a EEC Power Retrofit to remove.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2015 at 1:24pm
Thanks Lewy,

I've heard of that retrofit before, but that was somehow the first time it's been documented on this thread.

I've corrected my post and the spreadsheet.
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2015 at 2:13pm
I was/am having a starting issue, but now my main issue is getting the engine to stop.

Has anyone had this problem?

GT40 Pro Boss Engine Starting - Stopping Issues
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2015 at 3:54pm
It was another relay issue. Apparently one of the "new" relays went bad.
rrichr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrichr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2015 at 12:03pm
Single click when starting and your battery if fine... solenoid needs replacement. There are 2 of them... one on the starter and one behind the PCM board...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejnautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2015 at 4:58pm
Sorry, just getting back to my previous post. It turned out to be electrical. Replaced the distributor and spark plug wires. I still have a slight hesitation at 2k RPM, but it is running much better. Top end speed has gone down a few MPH too. Any ideas on remaining issues
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 2:30pm
Now that I've had a trouble free month I can clearly say the low pressure pump was the problem.
2008 MasterCraft 197TT
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 2:38pm
New ignition switch solves mysterious starter engagement when shifting into neutral
On approach to dock.
2008 MasterCraft 197TT
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 11:45pm
EJ. Did you set the ignition timing properly after replacement? Insufficient initial timing advance could caus your hesitation. Assume you replaced cap/rotor at time of distributor too.
2008 MasterCraft 197TT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejnautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2015 at 9:54am
Yes, spark advance was adjusted, which improved the performance. I am still left with a noticable hesistation and rough running at around 2k rpm. Cap and rotor were replaced. New spark plug wires too. Appreciate any thoughts on causes.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2015 at 12:42am
Hi, been searching for some cross reference on parts since many are not marine specific and might be easier to find with automotive numbers. maybe we could come up with a chart ofr parts references.
Such as:
TFI is already loaded
E-Coil
Distributor stator
IAC

I think it could be usefull
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2015 at 1:24am
That's something I could do if people posted those cross referenced part numbers. I'd have to look at it closer, but I could either add a column to what I have, or maybe a new tab in the workbook, with a spreadsheet just for that.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2015 at 5:06pm
Sorry it took so long to answer. Yes. Replacing the LPP fixed it
2008 MasterCraft 197TT
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2015 at 5:08pm
Maybe pull one wire at a time at 2000 rpm to see if running changes at all. If you pull one and nothing changes that's a bad wire. Reply to EJNautique
2008 MasterCraft 197TT
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2015 at 8:16am

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2015 at 12:22pm
If possible, please start a new thread to hash out the individual GT-40 issues. Include "GT-40" in the title of your new thread so people know to weigh in.

I'd like to keep this thread as a place to post the results and the links back to the full thread. Working out the individual problems here will ultimately make this thread too messy to read through.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2016 at 12:20am
Re-fastening PIP, on stator hall effect sensor, fixes miss or hiccup at speed:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=37989&title=gt40-experts-required

"Give the stator (PIP hall effect sensor) assembly a twist and see if it moves the plastic gets brittle and breaks down over time."

Updated Spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17VemuIOaa9i8kEply-ZmFOSyjyzz8rd7B0WEuIT_6S0/edit?usp=sharing
Keuka 95 GT40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keuka 95 GT40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 12:03pm
Hi EJ - We have a '95 Nautique GT40 that experienced similar problems last summer.   Did you resolve your issues ?   Our boat starts and runs great under most conditions but we regularly see hesitation, missing, rough idle on hot days. We could pull a few skiers just fine but by the 3rd or 4th skier (or if the boat sat at dock for an hour after use) then we would regularly experience rough idle,missing and hesitation during the hole shot.

Any thoughts ?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 12:45pm
Sounds like vapor lock, the early gt40's were prone to this, IIRC. I had a 502
Merc that would act similarly if left to sit for a few hours after running hard. believe a '95 predates the FCC, and adding one may be the solution.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 12:59pm
Tim is correct, '95 Correct Crafts did not have a FCC. In talking to a PCM rep I was under the assumption that the low pressure pumps were added to help cure the problem as he was telling me how hard it was installing them. I wonder if there was a recall to add them to early boats? My low pressure pump does not have a plug but instead is hard wired with shrink wrap crimp fittings. Knock on wood I have never experienced it. I wonder with the larger engine compartment and venting that a V Drive does not have the same trouble?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic