Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

85 SN 2001 351W oil pan

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
theshadowconspiracy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theshadowconspiracy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 85 SN 2001 351W oil pan
    Posted: April-16-2012 at 3:22pm
Can anyone tell me where I can purchase an oil pan for my 85 SN 2001?
1985 SN 2001
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 3:36pm
You should be able to get it from Skidim, among others:
http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1008
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2012 at 4:14pm
holy crap that is a lot of money for a piece of sheetmetal that isnt even exactly the same as the original. For the love of all floats find one used.

try
www.floridainboards.com or www.mycorrectcraftparts.com, call them up and ask them if they have a used one lying around.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2012 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by theshadowconspiracy theshadowconspiracy wrote:

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase an oil pan for my 85 SN 2001?

What's the problem with your pan?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theshadowconspiracy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2012 at 6:42pm
It has rusted through in a few spots and is leaking into the bildge
1985 SN 2001
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2012 at 7:18pm
A friend of mine just fixed the oil pan on his 7.3 diesel with JB weld.
It had some pin holes that were leaking, he drained it cleaned it off real good then roughed it up with a paper disc grinder. Covered the area with JB weld. Seems to be holding fine. Could be an option.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2012 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

A friend of mine just fixed the oil pan on his 7.3 diesel with JB weld.
It had some pin holes that were leaking, he drained it cleaned it off real good then roughed it up with a paper disc grinder. Covered the area with JB weld. Seems to be holding fine. Could be an option.

Paul,
I'm sure glad to hear that it was a friend of yours and not yourself!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theshadowconspiracy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2012 at 10:00pm
this pan already has jb weld on it from the previous owner. that is not an option. i dont want a band aid, i want it fixed right. the engine is out of the boat. i'm installing new floors, carpet and going through the engine to tune it up. i was wondering if you could use a 351w pan from a car and weld in the dipstick tube. i really dont want to spend 350-450 on a pan..
1985 SN 2001
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2012 at 12:45pm
I wouldn't think there is anything special about the oil pan that makes it "marine" as oil pans don't produce spark etc.

The only thing you have to be aware of is the dimensions. Also, since these motors are set up an an angle, you have to keep that in mind. I haven't looked at my pan closely, but I'm guessing the oil pickup point would be towards the back and that the pan is meant to hold most of it's oil towards the back.

I've seen truck installations for Ford V8s, where the pan has two bellies, one forward of the axle and one rear or it. I'd have to think this wouldn't work well for your use.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2012 at 12:55pm
For whats its worth my HM and my Dads late 70's PCM pan are Ford Bronco items. Dad needed a new pan due to the fact it was a saltwater boat.I found a nice one at an engine rebuilder,they at the time,mid 90's,had a mountain of them,took our old one with to compare.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2012 at 1:04pm

The oil pan in my nautique has a rubberized coating on the outside.
Wally world rino liner would be ok on an automotive pan (I think)

Jody at Fla inboards would be a good guy to call, bet he has several.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2012 at 1:47pm
I would, and will offer to sell you one at a reasonable price once you follow the advice previously given and call jody, billy, etc and if not successful report back. There likely is an automotive cross over that will work but not all automotive ones will work and certainly not with your current pickup. Some research and care would be needed.

As for the stuff pcm puts on the bottom of pans these days... I made the mistake of wanting to take an oil pan back down to bare metal for paint a couple years ago... what a nightmare getting all that stuff off and once you get started you are pretty committed to the process cause you cant really clean it off with a solvent without it turning sticky-icky.. so dont do it!
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theshadowconspiracy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2012 at 2:49pm
Thx fellas . I'll give Jody a call at Fla inboards. Joey what pan are you willing to sell?
1985 SN 2001
wideopen44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideopen44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2012 at 4:31pm
Did you hear back on this at all, I have the same exact problem on my 86 and saw the price of the new one at skidim and about fell off my chair. I have my engine out and want to fix it the best way for the least amount of money....
Any news?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theshadowconspiracy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2012 at 7:47pm
80's ford bronco 351 w pan looks to be the same. i ordered one from amazon.com i'll let you know how it works.

http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-264-003-Oil-Pan/dp/B000CGMMO4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334954774&sr=8-1
1985 SN 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2012 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by theshadowconspiracy theshadowconspiracy wrote:

80's ford bronco 351 w pan looks to be the same. i ordered one from amazon.com i'll let you know how it works.

http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-264-003-Oil-Pan/dp/B000CGMMO4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334954774&sr=8-1

proper link to oil pan

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2012 at 10:58pm
If you were to put the drain plug out the back where the pan comes to a point that would be my exact pan. Hope it works out that is a more realistic price.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideopen44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2012 at 4:29am
Nice work finding that needle in a hay stack!
Let me know if it works l like that a lot better than 380 bucks that is for sure!

Thanks
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2012 at 9:46am
try silverseal.com
"the things you own will start to own you"
pallmer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pallmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2012 at 9:06pm
Performing the same operation on my 79 Ski Nautique. Oil pan is rusted out from running in salt water. Have the engine out of the boat after buying an i-beam to hang over the garage and lift the engine.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideopen44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2012 at 9:19pm
Yeh guys, just an update I ordered this oil pan for my 86 2001 with 351W and it works http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-264-003-Oil-Pan/dp/B000CGMMO4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334954774&sr=8-1

Only thing is you will have to get the pick up tube/strainer from an older 80's bronco to go with it as the stock one does not clear the pan. You will also have to relocated the dipstick behind the motor mount instead of in front. Thought I would let you know. Good luck!
raton23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raton23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 12:49am
hi Wideopen 44, I have the same problem you had with a Ski nautique 176 with a Pro Boss GT40 EFI, is the oil pan you bought the same size than the original one?
My boat has really small clearance between the engine and the bilge.

I know I need to take the engine out of the boat, any tips on how to do this?
My engine supports ar a little rusted but they seem strong...
How do you realing the engine...

Thanks for the help

raton23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raton23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 12:58am
re aline *

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideopen44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 2:18pm
The new pan is almost the same size, you should not have any clearance issues. The only thing different is where the deepest part of the pan is. The original one the deepest part is a little further back than the Bronco one. Only thing that needs to be changed is to get the oil pump pick up for the bronco at the same time you order the pan.
To get the engine out is really not as hard as it sounds, just disconnect any cables and unplug the wiring harness, fuel lines, ect. Go to your local rental center and pick up a cherry picker (engine hoist). Depending on how high the cherry picker goes you may have to take off one side tire and set axle on a block of wood or something. I had to do this just to get the clearance to get over the side of the boat. The engine should already have a spot to hook the chains on either side of the heads. Most of the engine cradles that I have seen are alluminum so should not have to worry about rust? As long as you are not changing anything or moving the adjustments you should not have to re-aline anything when you put it back in. Mine had aluminum blocks in the front be sure to put them back in and you should be fine.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Side note, mine is almost done, I will post pics soon.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideopen44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 2:21pm
Keep in mind that you will need to make a new "mark" on the dip stick once the engine is back in on level ground do to the relocation of the dip stick tube. A tap with a grinder seems to work well. The old tube will thread into the new pan.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 2:33pm
If you can pull your motor,put it back in and get the alignment within .003 with out even checking, you a better man than the rest of us here. If I remember right the late '80s PCM manual tells you that you should check the alignment EVERY time the boat is launched and should even be done with it in the water.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideopen44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 2:56pm
The owners manual for you car also tells you to check the air pressure in your tires evertime you drive it......
I am just saying...

If you check your alignment every time you launch you are deffinately the better man.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by wideopen44 wideopen44 wrote:

As long as you are not changing anything or moving the adjustments you should not have to re-aline anything when you put it back in.

Wrong. There's enough slop in the mounting holes that you may end up with misalignment when reinstalled. Keep in mind that the coupling flange face must be within .003" top to botom and port to starboard.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 3:50pm
[QUOTE=wideopen44] The owners manual for you car also tells you to check the air pressure in your tires evertime you drive it......
I am just saying...
QUOTE]

And because most people never check,much like you didn't check your alignment, now big brother requires that new cars have tire pressure monitoring systems
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideopen44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 3:54pm
Wow, you think big brother has something to do with tire pressure monitors, thats a hoot!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic