Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question on 1970 mustang windshield

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mslitti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mslitti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question on 1970 mustang windshield
    Posted: April-18-2012 at 5:39pm
I need a left side windshield for a 1970 mustang. How hard are they to find? and what should one cost? Also was correct craft the only boat to use this windshield or did other boat builder use them?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 12:53am
A picture would sure help. On a 42 year old boat there can be a lot of "changes"
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 3:13am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

A picture would sure help. On a 42 year old boat there can be a lot of "changes"

I'm confused (as usual) Gary. Weren't all the Mustang glass windshields the same? My 69 & 70 are identical, but I thought I read somewhere about you changing yours out for the correct one. What's the story?
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 8:24am
John.
The split glass was an upgrade. Many came out from the factory with the plastic. You could get an idea on the ratio by going through the diaries.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mountaineerminer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mountaineerminer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 3:27pm
I think Gary might be hinting that it may not be the windshield that was originally offered on a first gen mustang and could have been replaced sometime in the last 42 years.

As far as availability, from what I have read, finding an original windshield or pieces for one can be difficult.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by mountaineerminer mountaineerminer wrote:

I think Gary might be hinting that it may not be the windshield that was originally offered on a first gen mustang and could have been replaced sometime in the last 42 years.

You need to know a little about what Gary went through with the windshield. The original was bad. He then put a "Sport" model on it which was the only one still in production from Taylor. Several years later, he found out Taylor could make him the original which was the taller version since they still had enough of the aluminum extrusion to make one. Gary got the very last one from the factory.

As far as availability, from what I have read, finding an original windshield or pieces for one can be difficult.

There is a company I believe in Texas that does make the split windshield replacements however, they are plastic and not glass. Still better than nothing!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 3:42pm
And although Pete hasn't said it yet, sometimes you have to buy a whole boat
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 3:47pm
Here's the company that makes the plastic replacements for the split windshields They say it's for a Classic so it would work on a Cuda too. On a Mustang, some trimming of the width may be needed.

Looks like they are in Florida and not Texas!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 4:20pm

Once again I was a little slow to catch on.
The 69 Mustang had a complete windshield on it....almost. The port side was a replacement plastic paine. I don't know who made it, but it is a poor substitute for the original. I anticipate keeping the spare as just that.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

mslitti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mslitti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 5:43pm
I did find a place called UPD in FL. The only thing was when I did talked to them they wanted me to send the windshield to them. How in the hell can I do that if it smashed out in millions of small pieces(it is glass) so then they wanted me to send them the windshield fram. Are they crazy that would cost a ton of $$$$$ to ship back and forth. That is if it did not get destoryed in shipping. In there ad it said they have the mold to make them. Why do they need mine if they made them before? They do have pics of what they have made in the past. The windshields they have (on the link below) there is one for a 1961, it is the only one that has a pic. If you want the 1966 mustang you have to send your in. Will the 1961 work? and if so, what other model would work with mine?

http://www.updplastics.com/correct%20craft%20boat%20windshields.htm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by mslitti mslitti wrote:

I did find a place called UPD in FL. The only thing was when I did talked to them they wanted me to send the windshield to them. How in the hell can I do that if it smashed out in millions of small pieces(it is glass) so then they wanted me to send them the windshield fram. Are they crazy that would cost a ton of $$$$$ to ship back and forth. That is if it did not get destoryed in shipping. In there ad it said they have the mold to make them. Why do they need mine if they made them before? They do have pics of what they have made in the past. The windshields they have (on the link below) there is one for a 1961, it is the only one that has a pic. If you want the 1966 mustang you have to send your in. Will the 1961 work? and if so, what other model would work with mine?

http://www.updplastics.com/correct%20craft%20boat%20windshields.htm

I'm really glad you found my post above.
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Here's the company that makes the plastic replacements for the split windshields They say it's for a Classic so it would work on a Cuda too. On a Mustang, some trimming of the width may be needed.

Looks like they are in Florida and not Texas!

Will it fit? Check out the reference section for the beam width of the Classic, Cuda and Mustang. That will give you an idea of the windshield width.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
68 Skylark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68 Skylark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2012 at 10:25am
Mark,

I have a single piece windshield which was the original standard windshield for your boat I may be willing to trade for yours. The windshield is complete and im good shape. The single piece was the standard the glass was an upgrade, my invoice shows my boat had the glass but now has the single piece. Please contact me.

Keith McIntyre
586-531-5513
Keithhmcintyre@gmail.com
Ann Arbor, Lapeer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic