Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

kneeboard purchasing advice?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
FUN-9C1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FUN-9C1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: kneeboard purchasing advice?
    Posted: April-18-2012 at 11:23pm
I'm buying a kneeboard for my 9yo daughter which will also be used by any other kids and grown-ups that want to use it. My daughter is a beginner. She's been up on a super-crappy one a few times but hasn't crossed the wake yet (on purpose) :) . Any advice for a good quality beginner-intermediate kneeboard for my situation that she can learn on and grow into and that can be enjoyed by other beginner-intermediates? TIA.
'86 2001
'50 Century Imperial Sportsman
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 12:34am
The better boards have wider, stronger and sometimes overlapping straps. The reason I mention this as I have working with a 6 and 7 year old girls on kneeboards. If they flip over it can sometimes be difficult for the kids to get out/off. Once they get scared it's difficult to get them back on. I would recommend an inexpensive composite board(little less flotation) that has a single narrow strap. or Get a cheap one for the girls and a nicer one for the adults. It may not take long for them to out grow the novelty of the knee board and want to move on to a wake board. I try to find them at garage sales so I'm not out a lot if they get scared or outgrow it.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 1:18am
If they are beginners and quite small don't attach the strap over the legs at all. As they gain experience and confidence they can start using the strap.
The fibreglass boards are much better to ride once they start cutting hard. So as Ryan suggested go the cheaper end of composite boards available. Actually get two! kneeboarding is much more fun for the kids if they have some one else out the back with them. Initially somebody experienced to help them and then the siblings and friends. Great place to start much better than the tube being the first introduction to watersports behind the boat.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 3:13am
I'll definately agree with the composite board, not so much with the strap. We use Cinch straps off our foils, they were built for kneeboards first. If you set them loose initially the kids can just flip them up over their knees and they'll fall right off. Explain to them about how you can get stuck every know and that and to get out (generally you only have to pull the top layer off). Then when it happens it doesn't freak them out, they just pull the strap and wait for the boat to come back. My son has been using that strap since he started, but he was familiar with it from the foils. His friends picked up how to use it very quick and they were tightening it down after just a few rides and I haven't seen any of them have an issue getting loose.

We have an Obrein Board, can't remember the name, but I have a couple of good friends in Louisiana who shaped the original one that they used for the mold. I really like it because it is a dish shape which makes it very forgiving for the beginners and it will keep up with the high end stuff if you know how to use it.
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 10:02am
Some have a little hook to put the handle on so one can use two hands to balance the board while getting to the kneeling position then just grab the handle and release it from the hook. We have a O'brien Ricochet and a Obrien of the composite variety. The composite even has retractable tracking fins. The kids prefer the Ricochet because it rides and carves much better.
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 10:37am
This is my daughter on our Hyrdroslide Revolution. It has the retracting hook on the front that is great for beginners. It's a $150 board that IMO is perfect for the kids and and novice adults.

Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 11:49am
I started my girls on Obrien Airageous kneeboard when they were about 6. Once they both started riding and having to take turns off of one I found a 2nd Airageous on e-bay. They are intermediate/advance boards and they have learned just fine. Two boards is definately the way to go as I've since taught there GF's to board and I'm sure a day will come when I teach the BF's.

I also have taught my oldest daughter to wakeboard on an advanced board when she was 12 (16 now). If you start them out on a medium to higher end board you won't have to shell out more $$$ 6 months down the road when they quickly out grow it experience wise. You'll be surprised how quick the learn even on the long line.

Tamara age 8

Tamara age 12

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 11:57am
Definitely stay away from the entry level compression molded boards. They're much more bouyant and as a general rule have molded in fins. While nice for beginners and straight line tracking, they'll quickly outgrow the capabilities of the board. The thinner composite boards with retractable hook is definitely nice.
Retractable fins can also be nice but a boarder will quickly outgrow them. My experience has been that they'll want to start doing turns and you don't want the fins at that point. I personally don't like them but many do. The single strap which most new boards come with is fine. You don't really need the double straps until you get more advanced and you want the board to stay on.
HO, Obrien and Hydroslide all make several very good boards for you. You can expect to pay $150 to $180 for a board that meets these requirements and it's still a very good board as any rider advances in skill level. They would have to be really advanced riders to outgrow the capabilities of the board.
You can go online and check out the different boards each company offers. Generally, the cheapest ones are the entry level compression molded ones to stay away from. The high end ones are too advanced and expensive for your needs. Pick out any one of the two or three right in between and you'll be very happy with them.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
FUN-9C1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FUN-9C1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 4:04pm
Thanks for all the great info so far. Hadn't thought of getting two- that's an awesome idea! Sometimes it can be like pulling teeth to get her to go, but with a cool new kneeboard, AND her "BFF" able to go at the same time, I probably couldn't keep them off 'em.
'86 2001
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 4:43pm
Spoon shaped composite are the best all around boards, would avoid any plastic/compression molded or any type with fins.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 5:36pm
Steve W. recommended the new style with the hook on top. They were great to teach my two girls. They even make Knee Board Tow ropes that have a little dog bone handle in them that can fit in the hook and it leaves the handle free to be used as a handle. Mine cost $90.00 and they are sold at Walmart, Bass Pro and Gander Mnt. with different logo's but they are all by the same maker. Yes they are cheap, but it got my girls confindence going. Now they are sking and wakeboarding. I have a ventage non top hook wakeboad with retractable fins that I will upgrade them to once they get more confidence.

JMO

Donald
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 5:46pm
I like my Obrien Black Magic I got from Academy for $150. It has the hook and retractable fins. The pading is very comfortable and you can still practice plenty of tricks. Is molded plastyic and I would agree that it doesn't have an agressive cut.
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2012 at 12:43pm
I was looking at nice Used HO Joker would this be too advanced for a beginner ?
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2012 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by malibud malibud wrote:

I was looking at nice Used HO Joker would this be too advanced for a beginner ?

Personally, I would say yes. My Joker is 5 years old and it's a very aggressive board. It likes to be on edge. When you ride it flat it has a tendancy to start bouncing and beginners won't know what to do at that point.
However, a caveat here has to be the weight of the boarder and the speed you're boarding at. 190# at 23MPH and it will start bouncing right on the edge of uncontrollably if you ride it flat. Roll it over just a touch and it smooths out perfectly and then you really lean into it and be prepared for a very aggressive cut. The pop at the curl is nothing short of impressive and you can throw any trick your abilities allow. It will not under any circumstances cut through the wake. You'll get a pop. There are other boards out there that are much better suited to kneeboard slalom but this is not one of them.
A 70# rider at 15MPH may be a different story but I really don't know for sure. I think that beginners would be much better off with an intermediate board IMHO.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
FUN-9C1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FUN-9C1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2012 at 12:52am
Any way to tell if it's composite other than the price? I've only seen one ad that mentions the construction.
'86 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic