NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

history

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: history
    Posted: April-19-2012 at 8:59am
i caught a show the other night it was called rebuilding the Cuyahoga, yeah the river that caught fire here in Cleveland in 1969, it had allotta clips from the 30 and 40's, I just thought it was funny because in the background were all the same tugs that are still being used sitting down in the shipyard, it really slips you back in time, and the other ironic thing is a I put some new pumps on the "calabreese" about 3 weeks ago and and sure as ***************, when they showed the river burning the same boat was sitting there squirting the fire, it was built in 1962, but it shows you the lifespan of some of these boats, my wife didnt give a ***************, so i thought some of you would lol
"the things you own will start to own you"
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2012 at 9:13am
We tend to very quickly dispose of our history for the bigger and better. I like it when people recognize the usefulness of older things. Having been built in 1962 myself that is becoming more important to me.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2012 at 8:45am
i was still a friday not 6 pack twinkle in my daddy's eye in 62
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2012 at 9:16am
Eric , that's cool you may have to buy a 6 pack of Great Lakes Burning River ale and toast the Calabreese. I went to CWRU in the 80's and spent some time in the flats, the night spots were in high gear then.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2012 at 9:37am
Did they ever find out and report who was dumping what in the river that caught fire?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2012 at 9:56am
Originally posted by DrStevens DrStevens wrote:

Eric , that's cool you may have to buy a 6 pack of Great Lakes Burning River ale and toast the Calabreese. I went to CWRU in the 80's and spent some time in the flats, the night spots were in high gear then.
   Hay Doc! also had some good times in the flats in the 80,s about them here, if you know what i mean! i grew up in massillon OH.
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2012 at 11:59am
Jeff, I will be in tramping around Branch county next weekend after some turkeys, more likely getting poison ivy.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2012 at 10:01am
Pete, Dow, Sherwin Williams, LTV steel,LOL, all the backyard dumped oil made its way into the lake...I talk to these old boys down there and the river wouldnt even freeze over in those days, but, there were many rivers that caught fire and actually the 69 fire here was a small one and Cleveland got the Microscope because it had one of the nations first black mayors (stokes) but then time magazine ran an article in one of the most circulated magazine issues because we went to the moon that year and Bobby Kennedy, Sherwin would do paint tests and dunk samples and the water would eat through the cord that held it....I believe the EPA came along in 72, and this was one of the major reasons, it was common place to dump right into the river without any recourse before then...its came along way since then.
what caught it on fire was near a bridge in a stagnent pool where all the trash gathered and one of the LTV trucks went over the bridge and dropped sl*g.
Doc. i found the shortcuts into the flats and the 2.00 happy hour already, i think it will revitalize once the gambling kicks in, but spent many nights down there and even had (Lee Braytons) Scott Braytons father who died (Scott) at Indy time trials, he let me stay on the boat during the repairs right down from Shooters, while he went back to Indiana
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2012 at 11:18am
even something as minute as bacon grease down the drain caused problems, 200,000 households??
sl*g
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2012 at 11:19am
wont let you use the word slaag
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2012 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

wont let you use the word slaag

I don't know what "slaag" is and it doesn't even come up during a on line dictionary search.

However, "sl*g" (one a) is:
"The vitreous mass left as a residue by the smelting of metallic ore."

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2012 at 6:48pm
Pete, it is with 1 A, i did it that way so it would show up, i thought maybe because it ryhmes with ***************
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2012 at 6:49pm
faag
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2012 at 7:13pm
Pete,
Won't even let you post a link. Google steel sl@g
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic