Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Odd ball 1960 correct craft

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
Big t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2012 at 9:44am
There is a brass tag on the transmition cover that says universal modle hf Witch acording to the info I have found it is a late 50's ixa I do have a registration that calls the boat a correct craft but there is no hull number listed
Big t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2012 at 9:47am
Dose the tach on your boat use a male or female threaded connector?? This one uses a male abut 3/4" dia
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2012 at 10:21am
Interesting boat. It could be the very first fiberglass inboard Correct Craft made. I wonder what Art Cozier or Mr. Ralph would say about it? It is so unique it would be hard to forget. Did it come from New England Correct Craft?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2012 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Big t Big t wrote:

Dose the tach on your boat use a male or female threaded connector?? This one uses a male abut 3/4" dia

You'll need to get closer on the thread size, pitch and where the male/female is. Do the same at the engine. Both 3/4-20 and 7/8-18 were common. I won't get to my Skipper panel till Memorial day.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2012 at 12:20pm
Nice boat Tony! I'm in Concord so can't be very far from you, I'd love to meet up and get a ride in it. Where do you boat?

I like the frying pan comment, I'm guessing the bottom is completely flat?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2012 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Interesting boat. It could be the very first fiberglass inboard Correct Craft made. I wonder what Art Cozier or Mr. Ralph would say about it? It is so unique it would be hard to forget.

Bruce,
Yes, we need to get Art and Ralph involved with this one.

As mentioned, I feel this was not a hull CC made. Tony stating it's a "compressed" glass and the brochure stating it's a "pressure molded" glass really points to an outside source. The equipment needed for that process is VERY expensive. (think plastic injection molding) If CC invested in it, they sure would have used it to make outer hulls.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2012 at 1:08pm
Still would not diminish the fact it would still be a Correct Craft.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2012 at 2:53pm
I searched the web & could not find anything related to a boat mfg using pressure molding in the early 60's. I wonder if this was an early form of SMC process (Sheet molding compound, used to make PWC hulls & wakeboards, among many other things).

This is a great cliffhanger . . . to be continued!!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Big t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2012 at 2:57pm
Yes the boat is as flat on the bottom as it is on the top! Shufle board any one?? Right now the boat is tied up in Milton where the boat has been it's hole life.   but in June I'm takeine it to new found lake in bristol The tach takes a female furl it has a male side coming out of the gauge the motor side is the same as a Chris craft cable ( easy to get) I have what's left of the original cable
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2012 at 3:17pm

The tach takes a female furl it has a male side coming out of the gauge the motor side is the same as a Chris craft cable ( easy to get) I have what's left of the original cable

Again, do you need the inner our outer cable or both? Since it sounds like you do not have a Chris gauge panel, do you want to take the chance or be sure and measure the threads? Please explain the "furl".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2012 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Still would not diminish the fact it would still be a Correct Craft.

Gary,
I absolutely agree that no mater who made the actual hull, if it is a CC then it's still a CC!

We've got to get to the bottom of this one.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Big t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2012 at 3:33pm
The standard cable has a female end ( motor side) and a male end (gauge side) this one takes a female end ( motor side) and a female (gauge side)
Big t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 9:50pm
Little more info for ya the boat was origanly brought up to nh and sold by Walter Mellon Sr. In Milton nh
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 10:33pm
Now we really need to talk to Mr. Ralph!

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 10:38pm
Tony,
When did you get this boat? When new? If not, where is all the information coming from? The original owner?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Now we really need to talk to Mr. Ralph!

Since he's not a member, we need to forward the thread to Art! Does he use his real name on site?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 10:44pm

Little more info for ya the boat was origanly brought up to nh and sold by Walter Mellon Sr. In Milton nh

The original owner of my '63, my neighbor, told the same story. When I asked Mr. Ralph 2 years ago if that could have happened, his answer was that they were heading up to New England all the time, and there never was a time that anyone involved drove without a boat in tow. So, though he didn't remember the name of the OO, it very well might have happened that way.

I like the story so I'm sticking with it. My neighbor talked about buying it from Mr. Meloon so it sounds right to me.
Big t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 10:47pm
I am the third owner of the boat. I don't bealve the first owner is with us any longer. The second owner is still on the same lake and I have talked to him the boat has always been on the same lake. Alot of the "old timers" that are still on the lake rember the boat from new. And the boat is back on the same lake that it was sold new origanly. That boat has the ugly duckling thing going on if you see it once you'll rember it for a long time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 10:51pm
I emailed and PM'd Art with a link to the thread.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I emailed and PM'd Art with a link to the thread.

You should get out of your Wisconsin rut,turn that truck around and go down to some event and meet him. Very interesting guy with alot of knowledge,much like yourself   
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 11:22pm
Wouldn't it be funny if it really was used at Cypress Gardens towing a ramp or pulling buoys too?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Big t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 11:33pm
That would be cool the more info I can get on the boat the better I don't think this was a converted outboard because it dosent use a standard stuffing box. It is a fiberglass tube through the hull with a standard (nuckel?).
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 8:28am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Wouldn't it be funny if it really was used at Cypress Gardens towing a ramp or pulling buoys too?

I too was wondering if Cypress Gardens would pop up in the story line!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 8:31am

I don't think this was a converted outboard because it dosent use a standard stuffing box. It is a fiberglass tube through the hull with a standard (nuckel?).

Tony,
When are you going to be able to get us pictures? The "nuckel" is confusing!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Big t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 9:30am
The buckle I'm referring to is the stuffing holder on the shaft I know there is a tech term for it but it excapes me at the moment
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 9:55am

The buckle I'm referring to is the stuffing holder on the shaft I know there is a tech term for it but it excapes me at the moment

You can call it a stuffing box or a packing gland.

I don't understand your comment regarding the fiberglass log ("tube") and it's influence with a conversion?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 10:11am
I think meaning that the shaft tube was glassed in the original build so it wasn't an outboard first, then an inboard conversion.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 10:51am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

I think meaning that the shaft tube was glassed in the original build so it wasn't an outboard first, then an inboard conversion.

David,
I'm not sure what Tony's thoughts are on this and it's the reason I asked him to clarify it.

Hulls typically do not come out of the mold with logs in place. Provisions for the log may be there but with most, the hole in the hull is cut and the log installed after it's out of the mold. When this installation happened is still up in the air! If the log wasn't installed, then it would be an outboard first as shown in the brochure and then it became an inboard!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Big t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 11:06am
It's a molded fiberglass tobe that the gland slides on to with a rubber tube it's not a conventional stuffing box like the one in my cc American skier ( hole in keel with a brass box scrooed to the keel) it's cast into the hull
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 12:01pm
You've definitely got my interest! Next time I go to the factory I will look in the 1959-60-61 files in Archives and see if I find anything similar so that I can show it to Mr. Ralph and get his comments. W.N. ("Walt Jr." was starting to get involved around that time, so will ask him also.

Someone please PM me if anything new shows up (i.e. - photos) as I don't get much time to read the site.

I have never heard anything at all about CC having purchased any hulls from any other manufacturer. That would have been very un-Meloon-like!

Art
"Art"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic