Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Fuel Gauge worked before winterized.. not any more
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Gauge worked before winterized.. not any more

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
woodlandsnautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodlandsnautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Gauge worked before winterized.. not any more
    Posted: April-30-2012 at 12:40pm
Took the boat out for the first time yesterday, noticed my fuel gauge that worked last summer no longer is working... here's a pic of it

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3somematch/6982174606/

any ideas for me to check? I should of had half or maybe 1/4
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 12:44pm
hmm same thing happened to me it was the wire going from the gauge to sending unit. Its red. Check the connection on the top of the sending, unit. Make sure it is clean. Also check the wires on the back of the gauge for corrosion test with a voltmeter.

If none of that works try pulling the sender out of tank and cleaning/checking.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodlandsnautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 12:49pm
OK so weird, Ill have to follow that cable to the sending unit, is that by the engine or the fuel tank, I would think fuel tank..??? thanks for your help too
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 12:53pm
yup its right on top in the middle of the tank. So if you take the back piece off the boat you will see it. Its a little round plate with several little bolts holding it on. There will be one pin style connector for the ground and a ring and threaded rod for the send. Try cleaning those up as well as the ones on the back of the gauge.

My wire had been soldered in the middle, not well, and it came off and thats what the problem was all along for me.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by woodlandsnautique woodlandsnautique wrote:

Took the boat out for the first time yesterday, noticed my fuel gauge that worked last summer no longer is working... here's a pic of it

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3somematch/6982174606/

any ideas for me to check? I should of had half or maybe 1/4

Remove the sender wire at the tank. Ground the wire to the tank. The gauge should peg to max. If it does, then pull the sender. If it doesn't, ground the sender wire to the engine block via a jumper. If the gauge pegs, then the tank isn't grounded to the engine. If it doesn't, check the continuity of the sender wire between the tank and the gauge. Clean all connections between the two. If the gauge still doesn't work when the sender wire is gounded, make sure you have 12 volts going to the gauge. (This can be done first too!)

Here's the proper link to your Flicker

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 1:18pm
If the testing and cleaning points to the sender, there are a couple additional things I'd like to mention. Make sure the float still floats! The ethanol fuels are not kind to some of the floats. Next is your storing it over winter without a full tank.

I should of had half or maybe 1/4

Without a full tank, it leaves plenty of room for moisture. If it gets real humid in the tank, the variable resistor and the wiper connected to the float arm can get pretty corroded. Typicaly just moving the float/wiper back and forth will clean it up but I'd check it with an Ohm meter to be sure. Senders are not that expensive so if there is any doubt with the old, put in a new one.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodlandsnautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 6:52pm
yeah it was pretty empty, when i winterized, so you saying maybe the float might have something to do with me not putting alot of gas in it on the first run?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 6:58pm

yeah it was pretty empty, when i winterized, so you saying maybe the float might have something to do with me not putting alot of gas in it on the first run?

What I said about moisture and not the float: "Without a full tank, it leaves plenty of room for moisture. If it gets real humid in the tank, the variable resistor and the wiper connected to the float arm can get pretty corroded."

This corrosion can prevent current from flowing through the sender or add to the resistance to the point where the gauge will be pegged to the minimum. Have you done any troubleshooting yet?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodlandsnautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2012 at 11:37pm
yes i was able to pull off the connectors on the fuel gauge, everything looked good, sent to the sending unit and took the screw off, cleaned everything and off, we put in about half full this weekend still no luck on the gauge, time to replace gauge?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2012 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Remove the sender wire at the tank. Ground the wire to the tank. The gauge should peg to max. If it does, then pull the sender. If it doesn't, ground the sender wire to the engine block via a jumper. If the gauge pegs, then the tank isn't grounded to the engine. If it doesn't, check the continuity of the sender wire between the tank and the gauge. Clean all connections between the two. If the gauge still doesn't work when the sender wire is gounded, make sure you have 12 volts going to the gauge. (This can be done first too!)

Did you follow Pete's suggestions,ie removing the sender wire and grounding it etc ? Cleaning the connections is great but if thats all you did you didn't isolate the problem. Are you getting 12v to the gauge? is the wire from the gauge to the sender good? is the tank grounded? is the sender any good? If you replace the gauge and just one of the other things are bad you just bought a gauge for nothing.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodlandsnautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2012 at 1:08am
I took a photo of what I was working on, on the sensor.. is this correct?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3somematch/7150839583/
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2012 at 9:26am

I took a photo of what I was working on, on the sensor.. is this correct?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3somematch/7150839583/

Yes, that is the sending unit for the fuel gauge. Please as I and Gary have suggested, do the tests before becoming just a "parts changer".

For the convenience of all, here's a proper link

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 8:56am
Josh,
So, what's going on with your gauge issue?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodlandsnautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-19-2012 at 10:28pm
hey guys just wanted to say thanks for the information, I was able to take the sending unit cable off and ground it, gauge pegged, replaced sending unit and it works great! thanks again
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
Chris4x4gill2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 11:28am
Hey guys,

I am having similair troubles with my sending unit. I found that the red wire had broken at sending unit, so I repaired that. Still no signal. The gage pegs to full when I ground it so the gage is working correctly.

I pulled the sending unit out, cleaned the contacts and moved the arm up and down a few times and I'm still not getting a reading. This tells me its time to repalce the sending unit, can someone give me the correct parts # or a suitable replacement?

Everything I am seeing is a 2 wire hookup and I only have the one on my 89SN
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 12:33pm
Just curious, where are you seeing the two wire hookup? The water temp sender really just provides variable resistance to ground (the engine). The resistance varies by temp. So, I thought they were always one wire by design.

Some of the EFI applications have one sender for the computer and a 2nd sender for the gauge.

I beleive this is what you want:
http://www.nautiqueparts.com/watertemperaturesender-12inchnpt-pcm351fordexceptgt40whichusesr020002mountedonthecirculatingwaterpump.aspx

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 12:43pm
Brian - I was referring to the Fuel Tank sending unit.

The new sending units I see on parts websites are mostly two wire hookups (skidim, mycorrectcraftparts) Our boats have only the one wire for the fuel tank sending unit and I want ot make sure I get a new one that is compatible.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 12:47pm
Sorry Chris, following too many threads and too little coffee. This?
http://www.nautiqueparts.com/fueltanksendingunitpre2000.aspx

I think one of the two wires might be the engine ground, and one the sending wire?

There has to be something that grounds the tank to the engine/battery, to make the tank itself grounded also. Then it works on similar principle to the temp sender, variable resistance to ground.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 1:00pm
Yea thats it. I forgot about Nautique parts until you posted above. I checked everywhere else.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris4x4gill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 1:02pm
Good question about the ground though, Does the one wire unit ground through the mounting screws?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2012 at 1:10pm
Chris, I think you're right. The sender mounting screw can be the ground point.

This subject was covered in detail (and beaten to death ) on this thread:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=26502
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic