Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New bunks for my shorestation? (pics)

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
jackkloepfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackkloepfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New bunks for my shorestation? (pics)
    Posted: May-01-2012 at 6:15pm
Hi, all. I've got an older shore station with swivel bunks. I've had BAD experiences with these in the past.

on this model, the cradle has I-beams. I'm looking for the type of bunks that run the length of the hull for a 96 super sport. supposedly, I might run into issues finding a pair that can be adapted to the I beams. pics below:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...4-30193740.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...4-30193903.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...4-30193839.jpg

can anyone here point me in the right direction?

thanks, in advance.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 6:29pm
Jack,
I was going to post proper links for you but find that none of your 3 links work for me!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackkloepfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 6:32pm
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k288/jackkloepfer/2012-04-30193740.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k288/jackkloepfer/2012-04-30193903.jpg

these better? I'm not sure why the other ones didn't copy correct!

Thanks for helping out.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by jackkloepfer jackkloepfer wrote:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k288/jackkloepfer/2012-04-30193740.jpg

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k288/jackkloepfer/2012-04-30193903.jpg

these better? I'm not sure why the other ones didn't copy correct!

Thanks for helping out.

proper link # 1

proper link #2

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 6:52pm
You have to put IMG tags on the picture links if you want them to show up as pictures.

You're going to have to get creative to make your own front-back bunks. There are no kits available. I've used uni-strut type material to do similar.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 6:53pm
Jack,
I used aluminum "I" beams to mimic the typical wishbone style trailer bunks.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 7:10pm
If you only have 1 set of the "swivels" they should be at the stern and the bow keel would rest on the ibeam blocking. These should work for your boat, the blocking may need to be built up slightly however.
Have you checked with your local shorestation dealer to see if they offer a bunk conversion for the ibeam style lifts?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

If you only have 1 set of the "swivels" they should be at the stern and the bow keel would rest on the ibeam blocking.

Chris,
I took another look at the pictures. It sure looks like the lift is installed in the lake backwards!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackkloepfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 2:40pm
thanks, gang. Brainard, can you provide some details on where you found your I-beams and how you went about installation?

thanks a ton. this site is invaluable.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 2:53pm
Jack,
The aluminum I beams are 6 x .230" purchased from Central Steel and Wire. Any steel supplier/distribution center should have them.

They are fastened to the cross members with stainless rods threaded at both ends. One end through the I beam web and the bottom side through a plate with holes. This was done since square type U bolts aren't available that long.

Is the lift installed backwards?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackkloepfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 8:39pm
You know, I'm not sure if it's backwards or not. Honestly, I wasn't aware there was a "backwards"! how would I tell?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 8:43pm

You know, I'm not sure if it's backwards or not. Honestly, I wasn't aware there was a "backwards"! how would I tell?

Jack,
Chris (quinner) told you the V bunks (swivels) go to the aft end of the boat and your wheel would be easier to use if you could stand on the dock!

I have to ask you, is this lift new to you or have you been trying to use it as pictured?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackkloepfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 2:13am
ok, I gotcha! the other side of my slip is barely cut off by the camera!! haha, looking back at the pic, you can't tell that this is in a U shaped slip!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackkloepfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2012 at 12:51am
couple more for you guys...what kind of wood and carpet do you use when making your own bunks or replacing the "feet" of the current ones?

I'm thinking about picking up another pair of the seperate "V" bunks for the stern side I beam, and then joining the V bunks with a long carpeted board as a conversion.

also, how high does the boat need to sit above the main I beams to ensure that the center fins wont hit?

thanks, guys!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackkloepfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2012 at 2:37pm
...If I go this route, what kind of wood, carpet and carpet adhesive do you guys think I should use?

thanks in advance, once again!
snipe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2012 at 3:42pm
Pete,
That lift sure looks familiar...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2012 at 3:42pm
Jack,
I sure would take Chris's advice and swap the swivel bunks to the aft end. The "board" between the old and your proposed new swivel bunks realy isn't going to add any support. Some guidance when loading the boat on the lift is about it. Regarding the skeg clearance, unless someone comes up with a figure for you, you just might have to get under the boat and do some measuring. As Chris also mentioned, some blocking may be needed to give you some clearance. Don't forget the prop shaft as well. typically, the boats position on the lift will be where the log is slightly forward of the lifts aft cross member.

Treated lumber and stainless staples for the carpet - no adhesive.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackkloepfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2012 at 7:29pm
If I do try to "convert" a set of four V style bunks into two longitudinal bunks, how far apart should I space them for a 96 super sport? is it something that's ok to just eyball?

I think I am going to go with this design...I've had issues with the V style bunks flipping the wrong way and jabbing the hull on other boats.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2012 at 10:46am

If I do try to "convert" a set of four V style bunks into two longitudinal bunks, how far apart should I space them for a 96 super sport? is it something that's ok to just eyball?

I think I am going to go with this design...I've had issues with the V style bunks flipping the wrong way and jabbing the hull on other boats.

Jack,
You're going to have to get wet! Get the boat in lift and adjust as needed. A starting point may be your trailer bunks but they are probably set to wide.

You never answered my question about if you have been using the lift as pictured? If so, then I can understand why the bunks are jabbing your hull. Who did the set up originally?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackkloepfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2012 at 7:41pm
the previous homeowner had them that way. I have NOT used the lift yet. at my parents old place, they had the same V bunks...set up in the front as well, and sure enough, they would often flip the wrong way and jab the hull.

apprently these guys http://www.boathoistdirect.com/?view=shipping     have a conversion kit. I'm thinking I'd still be good with my orignal plan of having a pair of them joined with boards, though.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2012 at 7:46pm
Jack,
You link is bad. Did you proof it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2012 at 7:54pm

the previous homeowner had them that way. I have NOT used the lift yet. at my parents old place, they had the same V bunks...set up in the front as well, and sure enough, they would often flip the wrong way and jab the hull.

Jab your boat or your parents? Maybe they had the same people install their lift backwards too??? Why are the V bunks on the FRONT of the lift?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackkloepfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2012 at 12:13am
I really don't know. It's kind of funny that this same mistake was made on both lifts on the same lake about 5 years apart!

maybe someone on this lake has an affinity for aft mounted v bunks...I can't say.

come to find out, the previous owner had a deck boat. perhaps this is common for deck boat hulls...I really don't know.

P71_CrownVic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2012 at 4:07am
I just bought this kit for my shore station lift with I-beams:

Link
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2012 at 8:47am
Originally posted by P71_CrownVic P71_CrownVic wrote:

Link

Matt,
I don't see any I beams. Did you by chance link the wrong site or page?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2012 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by P71_CrownVic P71_CrownVic wrote:

Link

Matt,
I don't see any I beams. Did you by chance link the wrong site or page?

It's one of the options. You select kit number 1 through 4. Mine is 4 as I have a ShoreStation 36108a with I Beams.

Here are some pictures of my recent install:

The white Bayliner will primarily be on the hoist...but I'm thinking of having my trailer sandblasted and repainted so that's why I bought the kit.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackkloepfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2012 at 7:54pm
thanks for the pics! that looks like a great solution.
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 1:47am
I had a shore station with the elevated bunks like Matt posted above (raise your rear legs a couple notches Matt) and they work quite well.

The setup you have will work if you simply swap your swivel bunks to the back of the hoist and not the front like they are now (hint: which wheels and motors at front of lifts, typically, but is all in the bunk location). And as mentioned, maybe strap a block or two to the front beam to raise the bow slightly when the boat is in the lift.

Some pro's and con's now:

Raised bunks are good as they elevate the boat a bit more, have some adjustments and such and if you're in deeper water, reduces the need to raise the legs on the lift. And if you have a canopy, you're able to lift the boat into the canopy, reducing the need to cover the boat. And lastly, you have MUCH more clearance between the prop shaft/prop and the rear beam, mitigating the chance of damaging either.

Fixed swivel bunks on the rear will work and I have done that before when I had my small Skier on a Hewitt lift. The biggest disadvantage is the chance of pulling the boat too far into the lift, and risk hitting the prop on the rear beam and/or risk raising the lift up against the shaft. At the time, I simply put a piece of wide black tape on top of the gunnel showing me the point NOT to go past the rear canopy post when pulling into the lift. Worked fine.

Ultra
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P71_CrownVic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2012 at 12:39am
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

I had a shore station with the elevated bunks like Matt posted above (raise your rear legs a couple notches Matt) and they work quite well.

Yeah, I know. I had them up a notch and mistakenly thought I needed to lower them. I will fix it in the fall when I pull it in (that is what the chain is for in case anyone is wondering).
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2012 at 1:42am
Good thinking Matt. And yes, I was wondering about those chains. Looks like you lower the front a notch and raise the back a notch and you're perfect...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic