Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

85 SN 2001 Floors/Stringers

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
theshadowconspiracy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theshadowconspiracy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 85 SN 2001 Floors/Stringers
    Posted: May-08-2012 at 1:02am
Well boys pandoras box has been opened. We cut the fiberglass floors up and discovered soaking wet foam and wood. Heres some photos from today.

1985 SN 2001
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 6:47am
Looks like another one is gonna be rescued!

Yet another thread to follow. Love these restorations!
Do make a lot of pics during your endeavour... We love well documented restorations

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

newguy1986 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 1:18pm
I always like following these threads! keep it up and the more pictures the better
1986sn 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theshadowconspiracy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 1:25pm
Hey guys. Was wondering how much of the liquid foam I'm going to need so I can order it from US composites. What carpet does everyone recommend? Plywood recommendations for the floor?
1985 SN 2001
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 3:26pm
[QUOTE=theshadowconspiracy] Was wondering how much of the liquid foam I'm going to need so I can order it from US composites. QUOTE]
Why would you want to put back in that caused it to rot in the first place???

My '85 was this...

Now it's this,dry and well ventilated. Foam, just say NO!!

caliwakeboard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliwakeboard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 2:45pm
Iam also in the start process of the same project. Any info you obtain will greatly help me. I have the old floor up and going to remove foam tonight. Iam not sure about the wood that goes back down,it cant be very thick at all? My email is marc_pia@yahoo.com please contact me with help.
nautiques forever
caliwakeboard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliwakeboard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 2:55pm
What are you going back with and what process
nautiques forever
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 3:13pm
Marc,
Welcome to CCfan, Get us some pictures of your project.

I'd say there are at least 25 to 30 great treads on stringer jobs with pictures and even material lists. Do some searching and they will come up. I will too and get you some links but now, I have to run off to a meeting! Stick with us and explore the site.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theshadowconspiracy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 6:17pm
As of right now we are letting the wood dry out, it was soaked in many spots but not rotted. Its actually drying up real well, and is still very strong. The main stringers show no signs of rot, the lag screws still tighten into the wood, and there is no flex or engine alignment problems. Our local nautique guru on our lake suggested that we try routing out the bad wood on the secondary stringers and building them up with new wood. Then glass everything in including over the new foam and run 1/2-3/4 marine ply on top that will also be glassed in so no water re enters the foam.
1985 SN 2001
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 6:29pm
I would guess that keeping water out would be near impossible

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theshadowconspiracy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 6:34pm
This is my first rebuild also. So I'm looking for advice too marc.
1985 SN 2001
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by malibud malibud wrote:

I would guess that keeping water out would be near impossible

This is the reason I decided to have a fully draining bilge and the only thing getting foamed is the bow. But heck there is no wood in my boat either and I am still reducing the amount of foam.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by theshadowconspiracy theshadowconspiracy wrote:

As of right now we are letting the wood dry out, it was soaked in many spots but not rotted. Its actually drying up real well, and is still very strong.
Get the moisture meter out before putting glass back on. You want ideally 8% and no more that 10%. Don't just check the top of the wood. Remove the glass near the hull in spots to check the moisture there too. Drying out stringers with glass on them is like drying out a wet sponge inside a baggie! How about some more pictures? Is there any black or gray staining on the wood?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2012 at 1:57pm
Dan,
Did you tear out the floor and foam around the battery box?
As for taking out the top wood I'm not so sure that's going to do much.
My stringers weren't very rotted (in fact I still have them in my shed) but were soaked. Once I pulled them out I found most of the soft wood at the bottom where they were bonded to the hull. Most of them weren't bonded any longer.
Here's a pic of mine after they dried out a little. I will tell you they were heavy when I first pulled them out. Now they feel very light. That’s a sign that they in fact have rot in them even though they don't look bad.

Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2012 at 6:49pm
Welcome to the club. You can see my 85 project in my link in the signature. As far as how much foam I used a 4# density 80# kit from us composites. I think that was the kit it was a 5 gallon bucket of both parts then a 1 gallon can of each parts. It worked out just right and I have about 1/2 gallon of each left over.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2012 at 7:59pm
After looking closer at your pics the starboard primary in your 6th pic looks like it’s toast to me.
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 5:53pm
Nice progress looking good !

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theshadowconspiracy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 7:40pm
thanks. little bit at a time.
1985 SN 2001
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic