Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

gt-40 lacking top end

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
derekskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derekskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: gt-40 lacking top end
    Posted: May-09-2012 at 6:38pm
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 97 Ski Nautique with the GT-40 engine. We've put about 50 hours on it so far this year, and I'm a little disappointed with it's lackluster performance. I'm looking for ideas on what I need to do to get that last 2-3 MPH that this boat should be capable of.

Here's the story -
For about 4 years now, we've had a 1994 Ski nautique with the 351HO Pro-Tec engine, carb. Purchased with 450 hours, now has 1020 hours. This has always been an extremely fast boat - it does 47-48 on the GPS, with a 4 blade OJ, @5050-5100 rpm. I've always been very happy with the performance side of this boat, but upgraded to the TSC this year for the much better wakes/tracking in the course.

My new boat is a 97 with the GT-40 engine. It is the newer version with the FCC. I thought nothing of purchasing a boat with 950 hours, given that my old one didn't lose an ounce of performance from 450-1000 hours (and i've seen boats at ski schools go 3000+ hours with no engine issues). I skied/drove the boat before buying, but never took it up to the top speed.
The boat tops out at 43-44 on the stargazer, @4650 rpm. Hole shot is OK, but not as good as I would like). Has not changed with any of the tuneup parts I put on it over the last 50 hours of engine time. Runs smooth, Idles perfect. It's perfectly fine for most skiing, but for footing and short setup slalom it leaves something to be desired. On one hand, the published numbers put the GT-40 at 310 ponies, while the Pro-Tec cranks out 285, but the TSC hull probably has more drag than the older 'no wake zone' hull. I was kind of expecting the gt-40 to push 45-46 mph and turn 5000 rpm with the 422 prop.

Here's what I've done so far:
Plugs/Wires
Cap/Rotor
Fuel Filter
fuel pressure measures 38@wot (not sure how accurate my gauge is)
strut bush
t-stat

Where should I turn next to get the last bit of power out of this engine? or do I just have unrealistic expectations from this hull/engine combo? Maybe I'm just spoiled from skiing behind 6 liters at tournaments...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 7:14pm
The TSC does seem to have a bit more drag than the NWZ hull, but I think your expectations of 45-46mph @ 5000 RPM with the 422 are perfectly in line with what Ive seen other TSC's perform to with the GT40.

Im a bit out of my element with the EFI motors, but I would probably start with the basics- check compression and timing and go from there.

If you go to WOT from idle, how many RPM's do you see instantly? I would expect to see 3000-3200 out of that combo.
east tx skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 10:29pm
My 98 will get to 46 with no problem with a 422. Because I don't know what else to ask, have you cleaned your flame arrestor lately?

Some carb cleaner spray from the inside out, let it dry thoroughly, and reinstall. Motor likes to breathe. Even if this doesn't solve your top end problem, it's cheap maintenance that needs to be done at least once per year from the looks of what comes out of my flame arrestor in the fall.
1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derekskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 11:17pm
Hey guys,

Went out and skied on it today. I cleaned the air cleaner right away when I bought it and didn't pick up any top end. I don't think it's really a prop issue, as I do hit close to 3000 right out of the hole, and I have tried the OJ 13x16 off of my '94, and it made next to no difference.

timing checks out at 5 deg with spout disconnected...   per specs in the book.

I think a compression test may be in order... I'd rather not, as that never really points to a cheap and easy fix. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by east tx skier east tx skier wrote:

have you cleaned your flame arrestor lately?

Some carb cleaner spray from the inside out, let it dry thoroughly, and reinstall. Motor likes to breathe. Even if this doesn't solve your top end problem, it's cheap maintenance that needs to be done at least once per year from the looks of what comes out of my flame arrestor in the fall.

Doug,
What are you getting off the arrestor? Black? I'm wondering if you have some misaligned sheaves chewing up the belts. I simply mention this since I have had no issues on my boats and I haven't cleaned the arrestors in years! Unless there's a problem under the dog house, I don't consider the cleaning to be an annual requirement.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2012 at 12:18am
Derek the GT40 computer is designed to advance the ignition 20 + or - 2 degrees. With a Ford code reader you can invoke a test to check this advance.
I would try 8-10 degrees static and see if that runs any better numbers.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2012 at 12:38am
Can you use an advance light and just check it no -loaded? Just curious. I dont know squat about about GT 40s.

Sounds like prop to me though, another 200 RPM might get you where you want to be.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derekskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2012 at 12:49am
I left the timing at 5 because thats what all the literature says.   I know the EEC advance is working, because when I put the spout back in the timing jumps up (didnt get an exact measurement). I will try advancing the timing to 8-10 but if i understand correctly, these engines only run about 15-20 degrees under high load, so the computer should be able to reach this advance with a 5 degree base timing.

now, this talk about timing reminds me of something else - at idle, my mechanical tach 'jumps' around intermittently. the perfectpass tach is smooth, but I dont know if there is some sort of noise filter on that signal. Is this intermittent tach noise/ jumping indicative of an ignition failure (possibly a stator)? I would think that an ignition problem would make it run rough all the time, not just lack top end...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derekskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2012 at 1:21am
I really don't think it's the prop. I've tried 2 props - the 422 which I know is THE correct prop for this setup, and a 4 blade oj. My older, less powerful boat can spin both of them up over 5k, and the gt-40 struggles to get them up to 4600. with a footer in tow it will not get over 4300, and is really slow to climb from 3900 up. last year we had 2 long line footers behind the '94, and we were throttled back to run 42mph.

just to clarify - here's how i checked the timing:

in neutral, 2000 rpm, spout disconnected. timing light indicates 5 degrees advance (static base timing)

put the spout back in - timing advances and engine has more power.

I'll try kicking it up to 8 degrees before we ski again. The 'jumpy' mechanical tach has got me thinking stator?
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2012 at 2:14am
Stator?? do you mean PIP Pulse Ingnition Pickup. It gives crank position plus fuel and ignition timing information.

Base timing check is OK but to see total advance you need a code reader to invoke test.

89 Ski

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derekskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2012 at 2:46am
by stator i was referring to one of these:
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MP716SB

It goes inside the distributor. I'm not really sure what/where a pip is.

I think I'll try and borrow a friend's code reader and check the advance.

if that checks out, i think it's time for a compression test. I'd hate to think that there could be internal problems with only 1100 hours, but you never know. Possibly cam wear? this would manifest itself more at high rpm operation...
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2012 at 3:10am
That is the PIP. I suppose it is stationary so stator is a valid description for a hall effect device??

89 Ski

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2012 at 9:15am
Originally posted by derekskier derekskier wrote:

by stator i was referring to one of these:
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MP716SB

It goes inside the distributor. I'm not really sure what/where a pip is.

I think I'll try and borrow a friend's code reader and check the advance.

if that checks out, i think it's time for a compression test. I'd hate to think that there could be internal problems with only 1100 hours, but you never know. Possibly cam wear? this would manifest itself more at high rpm operation...

direct link

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2012 at 11:00am
Originally posted by derekskier derekskier wrote:

I don't think it's really a prop issue, as I do hit close to 3000 right out of the hole, and I have tried the OJ 13x16 off of my '94, and it made next to no difference.

I agree, it shouldnt be a prop issue- the 422 is the correct prop for that boat + powertrain.

I am curious what your exact RPM's out of the hole are though. If youre only getting 2800, that is a whole different ballgame than 3000-3200 (which I would expect if everything was dialed in). That (combined with your comments on a lackluster holeshot) would indicate that youre missing power across the whole band, not just up top.

Personally, I would be looking at the plugs and checking compression.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2012 at 1:28pm
You mentioned you have Perfect Pass.

Is it doing it's start-up routine properly. That is, is it taking up all the slack in the throttle cable as it should. Howabout when you turn that knob, see any slack?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derekskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2012 at 1:36pm
No slack in the pp cable at idle, and at wot with pp off, the throttle plate is jammed wide open. I don't believe its a pp issue. Doing a compression test today. I will post the results later.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derekskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2012 at 2:08pm
well, off to do the compression test. Maybe jody will chime in while I'm gone...? He seems to know everything about these old hog's.
east tx skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2012 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by east tx skier east tx skier wrote:

have you cleaned your flame arrestor lately?

Doug,
What are you getting off the arrestor? Black? I'm wondering if you have some misaligned sheaves chewing up the belts. I simply mention this since I have had no issues on my boats and I haven't cleaned the arrestors in years! Unless there's a problem under the dog house, I don't consider the cleaning to be an annual requirement.

You nailed it. Originally, yes, lots of black belt dust. Previous owner probably ignored it (and the belts). Changed the belts soon after that and it improved greatly. I still get some gunk each year, but my belts look like a million bucks and the boat runs well. You don't see it until you start spraying it.

I think you can probably go years and not have any breathability issues from a dirty arrestor. These things take time. But I have made it a part of my winterization routine after talking to an old MC tech who said that he was constantly seeing dirty arrestors being the source of people's complaints of loss of top end. If anything, I am a creature of habit. Plus, it takes a while for them to dry out and doing it on the water once there is an issue is going to take time since I don't want to put it back on full of carb cleaner.

I just treat it like an air filter on a car.
1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derekskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2012 at 10:17pm
Hey guys,

Didn't have time to run the compression test today. I did run a fuel pressure test again with a gauge that I know to be accurate - about 29 psi at idle, 39 at WOT. I think it's safe to say it's not a fueling problem.

I'll try and do the compression test tomorrow.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derekskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2012 at 6:29pm
Ran a compression test on a warm engine.

1- 120
2- 155
3- 125
4- 120
5- 135
6- 120
7- 125
8- 130

Low side of normal and I don't like that 2 is so much higher than the others.   Probably time for a valve job in about 500 hours or so...

Well anyways the compression wasn't really bad enough to cause the kind of power loss we are talking about here so I hooked it up to an oscilloscope and got some interesting results.   The ignition seems very erratic.   Cylinders were just dropping off the scope as I revved it so I guess that means it was firing out of time. To me that would point toward that hall effect sensor (pip)? I think ill pick one up from Napa and install it this weekend.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2012 at 2:56am
Good find
Consider a 351W is going to like 36 degrees total, shouldn't matter how the fuel is delivered.
Its a function of stroke and rod length, compression ratio and combustion chamber shape.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derekskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2012 at 3:59am
Well my thought is that all cylinders should advance evenly so if cylinders are dropping in and out on the scope then something is haywire with the ignition.   A mechanic buddy told me that those pickups are notorious for failure so i figured i'd just replace that.

Just an fyi- if anyone else needs a new pickup and doesn't want to disassemble the distributor, you can buy a reman distributor From rockauto.com for $74 + core exchange. probably not a bad option seeing as an ignition pickup goes for about $40 at skidim, and if your reluctor is anything like mine, it's probably rusted to s***.

Dizzy part no: 30-2891 Cardone Reman.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derekskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2012 at 2:51am
got the new distributor in and timed to 8 degrees. went for a ski/test drive today and it made no difference. Well, I take that back, the idle might have been a little smoother and the tach no longer 'jumps' around. My top speed was still 4630 rpm.

I did do a few wide open take offs to watch the revs. When I do a wide open hole shot, rpms jump to about 2700 immediately, then climb fairly quickly to 3700. After that, It's pretty anemic pulling up to 4300.

Maybe someone who has experience with high hour engines here can chime in - do my compression numbers look bad enough to explain this power loss?

I did do the old trick of pouring a bit of motor oil in the cylinder when taking the compression readings, and the numbers jumped by about 5 - 10 psi across the board. I guess this means the bottom end of the motor is probably fine, If there is an issue it would be valve/head related.

Your thoughts?
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2012 at 3:40am
A leak down test would provide the answer to where the compression is going rings into crankcase or valves in exhaust manifolds. Adding the oil helps seal the rings so in your case it looks to be valve problems. A leak down test will confirm though.

How did you perform your compression test. Engine at operating temp before removing all plugs?

I have a high hour GT40 in a 98 Sport that can still get close to 5K (4940rpm=42mph) with the 422.

I will get some compression numbers for you to compare. Might take me a few days though.

89 Ski

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derekskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2012 at 9:24pm
I did not remove all plugs when performing the compression test. I guess that means I did it wrong.

I'm getting really sick of this power issue. I'd hate to spend $1000 on a valve job and a new cam only to find performance still less than stunning. Has anyone ever had a valve job done on one of these that could comment on the effectiveness?

Also, I don't really consider 1100 hours all that high, given that my 94 is a speed demon with a carburetor engine with over 1000 hours...

I guess my only other option is to find a low hour Econtrols 6 liter. Anyone have a source for one of those? (yes i know i can get a new one for 10k)

slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2012 at 1:05am
My GT40 on my '96 SN with 1300 hrs and a prop with extra cup was turning about 4400 and about 43mph at WOT. My compression before replacing the heads (due to a crack in the water jacket) was:

1 160
2 135 (added 1 tbs oil, went to 140
3 155
4 155
5 160
6 155
7 150
8 160

This was done warm with all plugs out and WOT. I have not tested the compression since I replaced the heads. So I don't know if I've got better valve sealing with the new heads or not. However, I got about 300 RPM and two more MPH with the new GT40P heads (P=higher compression than standard GT40 heads).
Note, my boat, regardless of the prop, never went over 44mph (had various cup, 3 and 4 blade, etc.).

However, I did not have any performance issue before I replaced the heads. Hole shot, etc. all felt fine. I do notice it a little more lively with the new heads, but I attribute that to the smaller combustion chamber.
Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derekskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2012 at 1:45am
If your 96 only went 43, then you would expect the newer hull of the 97 to be a bit slower.   If this is the case, then maybe I was just expecting more top end than this boat can deliver. I think its time to look for a bigger engine and zo, although it may be cheaper to sell and buy a newer boat that came with zo from the factory
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2012 at 2:12am
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derekskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2012 at 11:40am
I ended up tearing the engine down to figure out what was going on, and found two problems:

#2 fuel injector was completely non-functional, #6 injector 20% deficient - flowed 19 lb/hr vs the specified 24 lb/hr. Neither of these injectors responded to ultrasonic cleaning, so they were replaced. The entire injector set now tests between 24-25.25 lb/hr.

driver side head was cracked. I originally intended to have a valve job done, but the machine shop discovered a crack between the valve seats on cylinder #1. apparently it cannot be repaired. replaced heads with two rebuilt gt-40p heads from clearwater.

engine runs great now- much smoother at speed, and has the power that I was expecting all along. with a 422 it turns ~5150 rpm.

Anyways, I have one gt-40 head casting F3ZE for sale.
Fully rebuilt- cleaned, magnaflux, new valve seats, etc. let me know if you need it.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic