NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Marine plywood questions

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marine plywood questions
    Posted: May-10-2012 at 2:02am
Pete and other sometime wood boaters.
Given the multiple choices as to species and veneer cuts available. What would you get for a 1958 Chris Cavalier Topsides? The bottom is fir epoxy coated. I can see shop space opening for this project by 4th of July. I could also use advice on strip and stain removal on the sides. I recently came by a Chris 283 w/trans, this was an option but not for the 58 more like 61. I think it would be a fun boat with V8. Never was to excited about the flat head. I did an inventory seems like I have everything but side scripts.Also like a little knowledge about stain and varnish systems or really which you prefer.

One of the best things I learned on here was McMasters,but certainly not the only.

Bob

Acetone and ATF is another
If the only tool you have is a hammer,everything starts to look like a nail.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2012 at 9:40am
Bob,
In a Mahogany face veneer, you aren't going to have much choice of ply grade. For the topsides it doesn't matter anyway.

I have never found a better stripper than Zip Strip or equal (methylene chloride base). I went through plenty of different types trying to remove the ablative bottom paint off the bottom of my X55.

Interlux grain filler/stain is my choice. Just be aware that the brown Mahogany is more red and the red is more brown! (the open grain of the Mahogany MUST be filled for a smooth finish - you will never fill it p with varnish)

I feel the best spar varnish out there id Pettit/Interlux Flagship.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2012 at 10:22am
Our 59 cavalier came with a 283 fyi
Brian
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2012 at 10:35am
I agree with the choice of Interlux products. I have used all of them. The Interlux varnish lasts twice as long in the Florida sun and salt and it flows like butter.
On a side note if you really want it to pop, apply 8-10 coats of varnish then two coats of a good UV automotive clear coat like PPG Concept. Show quality finish that will last for years, not months. I hate brightwork so the extra steps are worth it to me.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2012 at 10:46am
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

On a side note if you really want it to pop, apply 8-10 coats of varnish then two coats of a good UV automotive clear coat like PPG Concept. Show quality finish that will last for years, not months. I hate brightwork so the extra steps are worth it to me.

Bob,
Don't use the clear coat if you ever what to have it judged under ACBS rules. A final wet sand and buff on the varnish will do the job.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2012 at 12:27pm
Thanks guys

My first step will be to get plywood ordered, that will keep me busy till winter.
If the only tool you have is a hammer,everything starts to look like a nail.
kenowja View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenowja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 3:05pm
hey Im wondering what would i need for my Coyote by aztec?
Anyone know?
Jake
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by kenowja kenowja wrote:

hey Im wondering what would i need for my Coyote by aztec?
Anyone know?

Jake,
What do you need the ply for? The sole? (floor) I feel some pictures of your project would be great!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic