NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Plug recomendation for my sbc vette

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plug recomendation for my sbc vette
    Posted: May-15-2012 at 2:45am
Need some help on finding the correct plugs for my vette
Its a l-82 1973 stick nothing fancy, performer intake, pertrnix ignitor 2 convertion on the stock dizzy
And msd 6al box
I'm actually runing ngk bpr6fs, they look tan but they seem to have little gap imo
I really don't know if those are the correct plugs for this set up
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2012 at 2:51am
Car runs smooth timing is 8 or so, starts perfect, but the mpg sucks, i'm getting 12 mpg highway and less in mixed use.
This is going easy on the pedal though
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2012 at 8:40am
got all the polution *************** still on it Kap? air pump etc....
"the things you own will start to own you"
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2012 at 11:26am
never did...
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2012 at 11:45am
On a vett I would run AC's and nothing else. Can't advise on the number.
With the 6al you should should open them up to 70-80 thousanths.

I'd say you have some serious timing and/or carburation issues to get that bad for milage.

Guys why tune their panteras right can get 20+ on highway cruise, you should be able to also, especially with the stick.

Perhaps explain your carburation and distributor setups.

Map your ignition curve w/o vacuum advance conected every 500 rpm.

Connect a vacuum gauge and report typical vacuum at idle and at highway cruise.

report any major engine changes like higher compression pistons, heads, wild cam, etc.

If you do have a holley, I can forward some really good tuning information.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2012 at 12:00pm
edelbrock carb, stock engine as far as I know, it was rebuilt 14 years ago, and really don't know whats inside.
I will come with some numbers.
It's an esporadic weekend driver car so as it doesn't hurt much the mpg, but I would be happy if I could make it more friendly on the gas.
I've put only 10k miles or in the 15 years I have owned it....

I have the old marine holley I replaced last year, I could through it there and compare....
MAN - GA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAN - GA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2012 at 12:13pm
AC MR43LTS is the correct plug labeling I am pretty sure (pulling from memory)

the original gap should have been .035, but with the high energy ignition your running I would gap at .040 as a starting point and go up in approximately .005 increments after driving a hundred miles or so and read the plugs to see what they are telling you. I found that .045 worked well for me when I quit running points in my Nova and put in an HEI dist. My base timing that the car liked was 12deg BTDC at 600RPM in gear and total timing right at 35deg. - vacuum advance was the hardest thing for me to tweak, but if memory serves me correct the advance at idle with vacuum hooked up would be around 26deg. and gave the best economy for daily driving. I wasn't running the L-82, but it was a SBC 350 gen. 1 with slightly larger carb and upgraded intake and no EGR. I got 13-14mpg if I drove casual and kept it under 60mph to hold the RPMs down. Nice thing is you don't need a computer to work on it - just a log of what changes you do so you don't forget every few days.

Good luck
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 8:45am
i know those Vettes run close to a 3.08 rear end and are kept out of the torque curve in city driving, that adds to the terrible mileage
"the things you own will start to own you"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic