NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

step pads

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: step pads
    Posted: May-16-2012 at 2:50pm
I need the complete thing. SS frames and inserts. Will take frames only if available.
Two please.
I have a 1978 SN but I'll take whatever you have.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 3:16pm
You may want to post a picture of what you had in mind. It sounds like youre describing the chromed frames and rubber step pads that CC used in the 60's through ~1974. Those would not be appropriate on a '78. Around '75, CC started using the black anodized plates with teak strips in them (the common sizes of which are still available at places like West Marine).
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 6:43pm
Yes, that is what I had in mind. The boat is such a blasphemous ungodly departure from original already that it doesn't matter the year being inappropriate. I simply like the looks of the older chromed frame pads.
Thank you.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 6:52pm
Gotcha. The frames will be very tough to come by. No one has started reproducing them yet.

The pads themselves have been recreated by FrankT... check out the "parts for sale" section. If youre not concerned with being 100% original, they may even fit some generic frames.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Gotcha. The frames will be very tough to come by. No one has started reproducing them yet.

Tim,
I don't think they will be a problem finding. These Perko frames sould fit Frank's pads. Jamestown has them as well but their site is down.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Tim,
I don't think they will be a problem finding. These Perko frames sould fit Frank's pads. Jamestown has them as well but their site is down.

Obviously the generic frames are easy to find. The Correct Craft ones are not.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 8:24pm
Those Perko jobs will last about a week down here being pot metal. Perko anything lasts about that long LOL. I figured the CC ones were chrome over brass, not zinc / tin. I'll just keep looking aftermarket for something or have it custom made in stainless.
Thank you for you help.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 8:32pm
Nope, the original CC ones were also chromed pot metal... you'll either have to find something aftermarket or have it made up special.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

Those Perko jobs will last about a week down here being pot metal. Perko anything lasts about that long LOL. I figured the CC ones were chrome over brass, not zinc / tin. I'll just keep looking aftermarket for something or have it custom made in stainless.
Thank you for you help.

What kind of boat do you think you where fixing up? Well, now's the time to get the wallet opened up.

Chromed brass and stainless frames

What are you going to do with all the other chrome plated zinc die cast deck hardware? Have it custom made?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 9:43pm
"Pot metal" should NEVER be used to identify a zinc die cast part. Notice it's use is for casting and not die casting. Big difference people. Plus, the alloys used are different. The basic pot metal was lead because it was easy to cast. Although there are many alloys used for die casting, all of them, are far advanced from the old pot metal of the 19th century.

"Pot metal is a slang term used to refer to cheap metal alloys with a low melting point. The low melting point makes this metal very easy to cast, but the generally low quality can cause problems during casting and at a later date. There is no formal definition of pot metal, so it can be hard to determine its contents. Some common metals included in such alloys include zinc, lead, copper, and tin, among others."

This is cast pot metal:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2012 at 11:16pm
Never mind.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2012 at 12:44am

Yes Tim, the CC frames are very hard to find especially since CC never made them!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2012 at 9:53am

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2012 at 10:50am

Yes Tim, the CC frames are very hard to find especially since CC never made them!

I think thats probably a fair assumption... but of course, most of the parts on the boats werent made at the factory. Correct me if Im wrong, but I think the consensus is that the step pad frames were made specifically for Correct Craft. I know Ive never come across a generic set that was the same (unlike much of the other hardware). The fact that they only came on CC boats is what makes them harder to find nowadays.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2012 at 11:17am
Tim,
Lots of the boat manufacturers used the same Perko frames. My X55 has them on it. If the manufacturer wanted a custom pad with their name or logo on it, they would go to Perko and have the custom tooling made. The pad is what's boat/manufacturer specific.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2012 at 11:44am
I bet Dunphy bought them from Correct Craft.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2012 at 1:28pm

Lots of the boat manufacturers used the same Perko frames. My X55 has them on it.

Got any pictures?

Thats the first time Ive heard anyone suggest that the frames were generic. You would think you'd see them available on ebay every once in a while if that were the case. Pretty much all other hardware can be found pretty easily- even the NLA stuff.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2012 at 3:40pm
I thought Marty was looking into having them made?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2012 at 3:48pm
Tim,
When I go up north for the Memorial day weekend, I'll get the dimmensions and some pictures - the X slept in the boathouse all winter!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2012 at 3:55pm
Youre convinced that theyre the same ones that CC used though?

One would think that one of the more common classic boat contingencies (Chris, Century, etc) would have had these remade by now if there was a demand.

Gary, no idea if Marty was moving forward on these. I was considering sending them out to be cast. I have a set of emblems made out of aluminum that I need to take some pictures of and post.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2012 at 4:05pm
These look a little long, thin and rectangular to me to be the same as Correct Craft frames. Pete, maybe a PO got yours off a Correct Craft?

Gary, I think they were going to be pricey and there wasn't much interest. I met a guy last week that is interested in casting stuff. He showed me some brass badges he made for the Donzi Club. He said he'd give me a price on casting anything I had an example of. He makes repro Chris Craft stuff as well.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2012 at 4:50pm

I wonder if these are the ones he makes Bruce,they were selling for 210 a pair shipped which was very reasonable.
One shudders on the thought Pete was using non original parts
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2012 at 4:51pm
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2012 at 5:01pm
Gary, what he showed me was a badge, about 2.5" round and they were brass. $210 for those is reasonable and they look very original.

At least Pete has the correct jetson stern light. I'd wondered if it had come off an old Barracuda, but according to the above picture it was original to Dunphys.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2012 at 7:26pm
I did find one picture in an old file. I'm still planning on making some "Dunphy" pads but that project has been shoved way back on the burner. This shows just the generic pad that turned yellow. Every couple years I shoot it with white vinyl paint.

Here's one of the original pads that has really dried up and become real distorted.

As mentioned, I'll get the frame dimensions when I get up north.

Tim,
Century and a couple other companies did have their own frames made. Chris did as well but also used some generic versions (see my link to "Chromed brass and stainless") The Atom actually has some of the same that Chris used. I'll get a picture of that one as well.

Bruce,
That "Jetson" stern light was a real project. When I got the X, the original was gone. I ran with an all metal Perko for several years while I looked for the Jetson. One came up on Ebay but it was a short one for an outboard and also was the non removable one. I ended up making a longer staff for it and converted it with the plug/socket in the staff/base.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2012 at 2:25pm
Does anyone have a photo of the "Jetson"? I'm curious.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2012 at 2:41pm
On the stern of the Dunphe above
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2012 at 3:24pm
I couldn't get the detail from that photo. I am working off my cell phone once again while up here in Victoria BC. I will the diaries again for a better photo. Just trying to learn a few things.

adamt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2012 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Does anyone have a photo of the "Jetson"? I'm curious.

-Adam

1973 Skier
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2012 at 1:38am
Thanks, I love vintage marine hardware. Appropriately named, that thing is fine art!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic