NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lake Murray, OK now has Zebra Mussels!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lake Murray, OK now has Zebra Mussels!
    Posted: May-17-2012 at 7:28pm
Well it would now appear that Lake Murray, OK has now been affected by Zebra Mussels. Lake Murray was one of the most pristine lakes in Oklahoma and the mid-west. It was inevitable that this would happen with all the P.O.S. Texans bringing their lake and boating ethics here. Texas has destroyed most all of their lakes and now this one. So my questions are as follows:
!. What can be expected of the future water conditions?
2. Is there and remedy or solution?
3. What measures can I take with my boat to prevent me from transferring zebra mussels to another unaffected lake or body of water?
...those who have fallen and those who will.
DLloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2012 at 7:57pm
Well I live in Cal and the county I live in is so strict at the boat launches that they will not let a boat get launched if there is as drip of water anywhere in or on the boat or trailer. If there is any found they black flag your boat and are not allowed to launch and have to wait 5 days before getting inspected again. When I failed the inspection the first time (2 weeks ago), because I had a small pool of water in my bilge I was pissed. I now understand the reason behind it all as these mussels are very devastating and from what Ive heard the only way to get rid of them is dry up the lake. The best way from what I have read to avoid spreading them is to completely dry your boat inside and out and dry off the trailer as well. However they can still be in your engine unless you use a closed loop cooling system. From what I've also read, they are unable to live for more than 5 days out of water. Hence the reason they make you wait 5 days before re-inspecting in my County. So, if you completely dry your boat and wait 5 days, theoretically you should be good to go. Sorry to hear about this at a lake near you and hope this helps.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2012 at 8:14pm
My "ancestral home" lake (8 generations) is Keuka Lake, NY. If you're not familiar with the NY Finger Lakes, they are cold, clear, & deep; the next lake over, Seneca Lake is over 600 feet deep and only 2 miles at its widest.

Zebra mussels invaded years ago, but to my knowledge have not escalated into a huge problem. More a problem for cottage water intakes/etc than boats, and since they attach to the flat stone/shale bottom you can no longer go in barefoot (think papercuts).

Since your OK lake is presumably much warmer & shallower(?) it might get worse faster, but if it's a recognized problem your local DNR or equivalent should have plenty of info.

If you trail your boat, inspect/rinse hull and drain/inspect bilge.
If you live on the lake, use your hoist and inspect every now & then.

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2012 at 8:31pm
We used to have them VERY bad where we ski on the Mississippi. Just a couple years ago I randomly thought "what the heck...I haven't seen a mussel in years" they seriously just vanished without us even noticing. No idea what anyone did to help the issue.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
Keuka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2012 at 11:32pm
I live and boat on 74Wind's "ancestral home" lake and the mussels have been there for several years. I have never had a mussel attaching to the boat but they are definitely rough on the feet. They do attach to the rocks, docks, waterlines etc. I have also seen zebra mussels in the St Lawrence River. While they have the same issues with the mussels, the water there is much cleaner than before.

Wind, where is your family home on the lake? I have lived here all my life except for a 5 year stint in FL after college. My family has also been here for over 150 years. I am from the west side in Pulteney and have lived at the south end in Hammondsport for the last 15 years or so.

David
86 Martinique
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2012 at 9:37am
Originally posted by Keuka Keuka wrote:

I live and boat on 74Wind's "ancestral home" lake and the mussels have been there for several years. I have never had a mussel attaching to the boat but they are definitely rough on the feet. They do attach to the rocks, docks, waterlines etc. I have also seen zebra mussels in the St Lawrence River. While they have the same issues with the mussels, the water there is much cleaner than before.

Wind, where is your family home on the lake? I have lived here all my life except for a 5 year stint in FL after college. My family has also been here for over 150 years. I am from the west side in Pulteney and have lived at the south end in Hammondsport for the last 15 years or so.

David

Small world! Old red cottage on point 1/2way down west bluff. Opposite point where was a cinderblock store (defunct now?) on west lake below Pulteney. You might know my brother, Rob Kinyoun, he lives on bluff by state park, the one with the floatplane. He's also got a white Southwind 20. My mother lives by the college. We also owned The Vintage (now Waterfront) and ran The Wheel Inn in the late 70's if you're that old hows that for a blast from the past.....

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2012 at 10:13am
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

Zebra mussels invaded years ago, but to my knowledge have not escalated into a huge problem. More a problem for cottage water intakes.

"cottage water intakes"? For drinking water? If poor zoning regulations allow that, what do they allow when the cottage has used the water and it's time to dicharge it someplace???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MattB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2012 at 10:28am
I know a little more about these little pests now
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zebra_mussel

There might be some hope though...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16788183

Yup obviously its better to stop the spread rather than trying to kill them afterwards.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2012 at 11:10am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Zebra mussels invaded years ago, but to my knowledge have not escalated into a huge problem. More a problem for cottage water intakes.

"cottage water intakes"? For drinking water? I fpoor zoning regulations allow that, what do they allow when the cottage has used the water and it's time to dicharge it someplace???

Yep,drinking water. Near the towns some have public water supply, but most draw water from lake, clear & clean. Discharge pumped into leach fields or septic up above road.

Just to bore you, Keuka is Wine Country. Built 1843, my ancestors used the "cottage" to wait for the paddlewheels to pick up the grape harvest after they brought it down off the bluff.

I've got a great circa 1950 photo of my father, grandfather, and great-grandfather in a Century I wish we had now. We've had a long line of fast inboards there since the beginning of time, and only just got running water in the mid-70's....gotta love the family priorities

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2012 at 11:42am

We've had a long line of fast inboards there since the beginning of time, and only just got running water in the mid-70's....gotta love the family priorities

Ha, no wonder you fit in so well here.

There are 2 CC's on lifts out front and my cottage still pulls water off the lake. Whats the problem?    (Pete, Ive got a septic system too- just no well.)
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2012 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

We've had a long line of fast inboards there since the beginning of time, and only just got running water in the mid-70's....gotta love the family priorities

There are 2 CC's on lifts out front and my cottage still pulls water off the lake. Whats the problem?    (Pete, Ive got a septic system too- just no well.)

I've never heard of cottages pulling water off lakes either. We just drilled a 6,000.00 well 2 seasons ago! Lake water is pure enough to bottle and sell!
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2012 at 12:30pm
Not our lake (we dont drink it, but use it to wash dishes, bathe, etc).

Zoning and other restrictions (wetlands, etc) make it very difficult to get approval to put a well on a small piece of lakefront property. Most are nonconforming lots and cannot meet the required set backs (property lines, lake, road, septic systems and other wells).

Even if you can somehow meet the setbacks, they will usually require you to update the septic to modern standards prior to issuing approval for the well. Once you have a well and septic, very little stands in the way of being able to turn the cottage into a year round home, so thats one way they control development. Gets very expensive very fast!
Keuka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2012 at 5:48pm
Regarding the aforementioned Keuka Lake.

There are 2 municipal water systems that serve areas near the lake. One in Hammondsport and one in Penn Yan. Where do you think the water comes from? This lake has about 75 miles of shoreline, less than half of that is served by municipal water. The rest draw from the lake. They are strict on waste though. There is only 1 municipal sewer that serves Penn Yan. The rest of the lake has septic systems or holding tanks.

I am not quite old enough to remember the Wheel Inn but I am well aquainted with the Waterfront and my family used to keep a boat at Jakes Boat Livery. My brother has a cottage on west side across from the end of the bluff. I am in the village at the south end. Property on the lake is out of my reach, kids are expensive.

David
86 Martinique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2012 at 6:56pm

Yep,drinking water. Near the towns some have public water supply, but most draw water from lake, clear & clean. Discharge pumped into leach fields or septic up above road.

"clear and clean" by who's standards? Certainly not federal! I'm surprised the county and state gets away with allowing the practice. Municipal systems drawing off surface waters have to meet some pretty strict standards so they will filter and treat.

Our lakes up north are "clear and clean" as well but codes do prevent using the lake water. In fact, it's tough to get someone to drive a well anymore because they are considered shallow and simply surface water. I like Joel had to install a 50' drilled well several years ago. Joel, I'm sure you have the Wisconsin well # for yours with all the details and water testing. Location of the well is strictly enforced as well - It needs to be a minimum distance of 50' from the septic and absorption unit. (leach field in very old terminology)

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2012 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I grew up in Stamford and we kept a boat on Candlewood years ago, what NWCT lake you on?
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2012 at 8:00pm

"clear and clean" by who's standards? Certainly not federal! I'm surprised the county and state gets away with allowing the practice. Municipal systems drawing off surface waters have to meet some pretty strict standards so they will filter and treat.

Our lakes up north are "clear and clean" as well but codes do prevent using the lake water. In fact, it's tough to get someone to drive a well anymore because they are considered shallow and simply surface water. I like Joel had to install a 50' drilled well several years ago. Joel, I'm sure you have the Wisconsin well # for yours with all the details and water testing. Location of the well is strictly enforced as well - It needs to be a minimum distance of 50' from the septic and absorption unit. (leach field in very old terminology)

Hadda look this one up! seems absurd to be forced to drill a well when in the case of Keuka Lake there are 390 BILLION GALLONS of water right out the front door. Seneca Lake has 4.2 TRILLION gallons.......

NY has rules but apparently nowhere near as stringent as your part of the world. Shhhh...we don't want your midwestern bureaucrats going on a regulation roadtrip
daddyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2012 at 9:28pm
Sorry to hear about it in Murray. I love that lake, even though I haven't been up for quite awhile. The mussels are invading from the north to south, not the other way around. Can't blame this on the dumb texans. I do know Texoma has them, but you could blame that as much on the dumb okies as the dumb texans. Personally, I think it's all those cheeseheads that have messed everything up The TPWD website has a pretty good writeup on the problem, if I remember correctly. It's the larvae that get transported in bilges and the like easiest from lake to lake, and they are microscopic, I believe. They filter water like crazy, so water clarity improves, not that Murray really has that problem.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2012 at 10:14pm
Jeff,
It's not the amount of water that's the concern but rather health issues. Have you noticed the title of this thread? You're drinking Zebra mussel larvae!!!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2012 at 10:27pm

Jeff,
It's not the amount of water that's the concern but rather health issues. Have you noticed the title of this thread? You're drinking Zebra mussel larvae!!!   

Miniature Mussels Marinara....goes best with a nice chianti?

Year-rounders & newer cottages have this black-light type system that supposedly zaps any contaminants. Older places, maybe not. When I'm at the lake I only drink beer anyway

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2012 at 10:41pm

Year-rounders & newer cottages have this black-light type system that supposedly zaps any contaminants. Older places, maybe not.

Well, now the truth comes out!! So, there is a concern regarding bacterial problems with the surface water!!

It's cool about the beer - I do too!

BTW, do you brush your teeth with beer too?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2012 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by Keuka Keuka wrote:

Regarding the aforementioned Keuka Lake.

There are 2 municipal water systems that serve areas near the lake. One in Hammondsport and one in Penn Yan. Where do you think the water comes from? This lake has about 75 miles of shoreline, less than half of that is served by municipal water. The rest draw from the lake. They are strict on waste though. There is only 1 municipal sewer that serves Penn Yan. The rest of the lake has septic systems or holding tanks.

I am not quite old enough to remember the Wheel Inn but I am well aquainted with the Waterfront and my family used to keep a boat at Jakes Boat Livery. My brother has a cottage on west side across from the end of the bluff. I am in the village at the south end. Property on the lake is out of my reach, kids are expensive.

David

Wheel was just north of Waterfront; was best bar on the lake, crazy like The Switz but not overrun with drunken college students. Been getting gas at Jakes since i was a kid.
I was in Hammondsport last summer for the 100th Anniversary of the Birthplace of Naval Aviation thing, my brother was one of the pilots of the Glenn Curtiss Triad A-1 seaplane replica. I'd guess you were there, if not, some great youtubes out there. Quaint town square a short walk from the best town docks anywhere, great annual ACBS classic boat show, and Wilkies. You're lucky to live in such a great village.

Keuka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2012 at 10:56am
I saw the A-1 on a test flight a couple days prior to the anniversary celebration. They flew it up to the end of the bluff and back. It was quite a sight to see. I have taken some pics over the years. I'll throw one up here so people can see what we are talking about. I have also seen the America fly. Was your bro flying it when it had it's incident? The prop fell off in flight or something. I spent a lot of time on the point directly across from your family cottage in my teenage years. It's probably the narrowest point in the lake. I used to hang at the yacht club in my college years. A friend of mine was the bartender.
86 Martinique
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2012 at 11:54am
you can blame it on the nips, or equivalant, they came in on the bottom of a tanker, Lake Erie is full of them, buton the high note, you can see the bottom of the Lake again
"the things you own will start to own you"
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2012 at 12:05pm
Ryan, we appreciate the mussels we're taking back this weekend so to say thanks we left you some hydrilla and a few water hyacinth to say thanks. Should make some good soup in a few years that will go great with a grilled snakehead.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2012 at 2:19am
I was there prior to celebration & saw my bro fly to bluff & back so that was probably him you saw. Another pilot flew during the incident where it was wrecked & it was his very first A-1 flight, and it's last.
Hard to control, a primitive control system we can be glad is not used in modern flight.

I've got some good close-ups somewhere, would like to see yours if you could post.

Keuka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2012 at 1:57pm

Here are a couple pics of the planes being talked about here. The first one is a replica 1911 Cutiss A-1 Triad, the second is a replica 1914 Curtiss America. 74Wind's brother is one of the pilots of the A-1. That may even be him at the helm in the picture. My best shots where while in the water but both of these have flown. The A-1 several times. Both reproductions were done by a local museum honoring Glenn Curtiss. The planes were built new but they do run period correct Curtiss engines. You can find more information about these planes and the museum at www.glennhcurtissmuseum.org

This is my little towns claim to fame.

David
86 Martinique
grim007 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grim007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2012 at 2:25pm
Never brush off those $#@^&*& zebra mussels with your bare hands, their shells are razor sharp, 6 stitches later on my index finger and as said before wear water shoes.
shaken not stirred
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2012 at 11:10pm
Glenn Curtiss, hometown boy done good.

Good shots. Not my bro in photo, this is him in a youtube which will undoubtably be attached incorrectly (someone PLEASE tell me how to properly post a youtube) theres more good youtubes on all of the flights

Let's not forget Keuka Lake's other claim to fame; 7 years after the world's first seaplane flight at Hammondsport, Penn Yan Boats was founded in 1921 at the other end of the lake (Penn Yan, NY)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB4zCA-Rl7U&feature=player_detailpage
Furno View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Furno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2012 at 12:55am
My summer place is on a lake in mid-Michigan. A few years back the zebra mussels got really bad, but the water got really clear. Once the water got really clear, the weeds got really bad. It seems like over the last couple years the zebra mussels are not as bad, but they are still there.

When at their worst, some of the people that would leave their motors/out drive in the water when not in use, were having problems with the zebra mussels plugging up the water intake and the motor would overheat.

Like others have said, once they are there, there is not much you can do.
Get yourself a set of water shoes.

Andy

'83 2001
DrStevens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrStevens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2012 at 1:30am
Yes, get a pair of water shoes, they are better than flying carp...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic