NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

89 dash board replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 89 dash board replacement
    Posted: May-21-2012 at 11:15am
I broke the plastic part of my dash board trying to take it off. Has any body out there made a new one or have a source?
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
1989SN2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2012 at 4:33pm
Christine's has them for 150 bucks or so. I'm working on a solution for mine right now that will be machined aluminum or stainless, should be done in a week or so. If it turns out alright, I might be able to make 2 of them.
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2012 at 7:14pm
Yes Christine's has them 185 ouch, mine was cracked a long time ago but now its in three pieces
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
cboland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cboland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2012 at 11:48pm
I'm glad I'm not the only one fighting this battle. Mine is also on its last leg. I'll be interested to see how yours turns out, TJ. It looks like I've got the same boat, but a year older.

BTW, are you on Allatoona typically? I don't recall seeing your boat out at the pro wakeboard tour this past weekend.
Bud

1999 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2012 at 1:40am
Bud, Allatoona is my typical stomping ground. I haven't been out much yet this year though, had out of town weddings every weekend for the whole month of May...ugh. I think I bumped into you at the ramp at Little River once last summer, where I usually put in. If you see me, say hello, half of my boat is decal-less this season, pretty distinctive.

I'm working on tidying up the wiring behind the dash now, doing away with the damn daisy chained power and ground distribution to the breakers. Had to cut out all of the breaker indicator lights to get the dash panel off so I can check that my pattern is the correct size. If it is, I'll probably get it cut later this week on the CNC at work. Once the CNC program is written, it would be a cakewalk to crank out a bunch of them, and slight changes would be easy as well.

Along those thoughts, I am considering doing away with the indicator lights for the breakers altogether. About half of mine didn't work anyway and they seem redundant to me, as you can easily tell the state of each breaker by the push button position. I suppose the lights would let you know if your breaker's internal switch got stuck "on", but what are the odds of that happening? Anyone have thoughts on this?
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2012 at 2:04am
I am going to restore my 88 BFN this fall. In order to re-Gel Coat I will be doing a coplete disassembly of the boat including the dash. I would like to follow your steps to re design the daisy chain and ground block for all the wiring. Thx
Thanks.......Tom
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2012 at 3:22am
The old 2001 site had the dash layout in a PDF file. I could email it to you if interested.

Made mine at of white polycarbonate and used a black vinyl overlay to get labels etc.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
tbeard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2012 at 3:31pm
Yes please e mail me the PDF for the dash layout. I am looking forward to making some improvements to the boat while restoring it. Thanks...Tom
backn68@sbcglobal.net
Thanks.......Tom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2012 at 12:22pm

Hopefully I'll be getting this cut out in some AL tonight or tomorrow after work. Gotta get our CNC guy a 12 pack and convince him to stay late for my "government work". I can provide anyone who needs it a copy of this file in 2D or 3D, in just about any format.   
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2012 at 2:46pm
That is going to be really nice. Have you given any thought to back-lighting the switch labels, ala, an EL panel? I have often thought that would be a nice feature for night boating, for those of us out on the water at night.

More than once I have reached to turn off my nav lights so I can see better going into the lift, only to have pressed the ignition button. Any thoughts?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2012 at 5:45pm
I had not really thought about backlighting anything on the panel, I rarely boat after dark. Its aluminum and its just engraved, not cut all the way through. Maybe the engraving could be filled with glow in the dark paint? Hah.   

I think it would work well if the panel were cut out of a piece of double layer plastic with one layer translucent and one layer opaque. Or out of clear lexan with a vinyl overlay. Then just backlight the whole dash pod.
cboland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cboland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2012 at 5:47pm
Backlighting would be very cool. I'm not sure about the logistics of how to accomplish and make it look really good, but the concept is really great.
Bud

1999 Sport Nautique
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2012 at 6:09pm
Yes, these panels would be nice back lit. In the aircraft I fly, they are called EL Panels. I think I have one from an upgrade that I could post a picture of. But essentially made of a translucent material that has a molded color on one side, and subsequently engraved, revealing the EL. Lights are then impregnated into the back of these panels in a few locations, thus spreading the light evenly throughout the panel. We control intensity a rheostat for each panel. I think very simple to make for our application on the boat, having just one panel.
hmmmm....
BigByrd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigByrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2012 at 7:26pm
Lewy,
Would you mind sending me the file as well?
ryan.byrd@colliers.com

TJ,
What program did you draw that in? It looks sweet
1988 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2012 at 1:15am
It was drawn in SolidWorks, which is what I do all my design work with at my job. Pretty neat program.
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2012 at 11:19am
Its looks like were making progress I finally got mine off but in doing so I had to cut some wires which I did not want to do. I'm thinking of wiring it back up with some type of quick disconnect so if I ever need to take apart again it will be easy.

Lew is it possible I can get a copy also ?
My E-mail is dochockey at aol dot com
thanks Kirk
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2012 at 1:18pm
Well I got it cutout last night. Much thanks to the best damn CNC programmer I've ever known, Brandon. Overall it took about 5 hours, including programming time, locating the right stock, and finishing.

The only thing I would do different on a second one would be to go a little lighter on the engraving for the switch labels. We only had table space for 3 toe clamps, so the center of the piece bowed up slightly, causing the left hand column of switch labels to be deeper than the right side. Rather than leave it like that, we decided to go deeper on the right side as well to match.

Anyway, hope its acceptable. The Correct Craft script was about the closest I could find to the actual logo. I cant wait to get it installed.

The setup fixture:

Top and bottom profiles cut:

Correct Craft script engraving

Final product:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2012 at 1:21pm
I'll post up the DWG and solid model and a PDF with dimensions in the next couple of days. Should I pass this along to Keith to put in the reference section?
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2012 at 1:22pm
That really looks nice. Always impressed by men and machines. Good job.
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2012 at 9:35pm
How does the cnc handle the square corners for the horn smaller bit? you are not going back with the red lights ? after I cut mine out Ive been dreaming at night on how I'm gonna put it back together ? I've been searching for quick connects but havent found the right ones yet.
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2012 at 10:56pm
Chuck if you have a look at my conversion you will see that I replaced indicator lights with led's. Just need to wire in series with appropriate resistor I think it was a 670 ohm from memory.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2012 at 11:37pm
I decided to leave the lights out on mine completely. They were a major contributing factor to the wiring clutter on the panel. Plus, I rarely boat at night and can't see them during the day anyway. If I change my mind later, I can always drill the holes for them.

The square corners of the horn opening had to be cleaned up with an 1/8" end mill and then squared up with a file after it was taken out of the mill.
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2012 at 4:19pm
Did you say you had the dimensions already laid out?
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2012 at 4:30pm
Yes, I have everything dimensioned out, send me an email and I can get you a file of the original and my modified version.

tjgray347@gmail.com
Foot1n View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foot1n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2016 at 3:35pm
Man I want one. That is impressive. How much $????
Foot1n View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foot1n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2016 at 1:00pm
Christine's is out of BFN dash plates. Mine is in desperate need.
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2016 at 12:34pm
What's the difference between same year (or series) SN dash plates and a BFN dash plate besides the label?
wmoorev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmoorev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2017 at 10:32am
Greetings - I have a 1988 Dominique, an I also need a new dash. The pictures of the aluminum fabrication in this thread look identical to mine, but without the holes for the lights of course.
Does anyone have any current information about a replacement dash in either aluminum or plastic?
If I have no luck, I have a half baked idea of making one out of teak, as my boat has wood rails on the inner sides.
Any help would be sincerely appreciated!
Happy New Year!
- Willy -
Bubba717 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bubba717 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2019 at 3:36pm
Would you be able to send me a copy of the file for the dash panel? DWG file would be great.

Let me know if that is possible, thanks

Dustin
1988 Ski Nautique 2001 351w

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2020 at 12:33pm
About every 6 months I get a request for these files in my email, so I'm just going to post a link here. This is everything associated with the dash I made. There are 2 versions of the file, one labeled "original" which includes the holes for the indicator lights, and one that omits the lights and has a cutout for a Clarion CMS1 stereo module. I think this stereo is discontinued, but others may fit the same cutout pattern, you'll have to check.

Files were originally made in solidworks, I just went through and added .dwg, .dxf, .stp, and .x_t files. This should allow it to be imported into just about any other CAD software for manipulation and tweaking. I left out a few of the mounting holes and drilled them by hand to match my dash pod, so there is no guarantee that the mounting holes will fit your dash. It seems like this is something that was done by hand at the factory and no two boats are alike.

Anyone with this link should be able to download the zip file with all of the CAD. Feel free to continue to email me with any questions.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rh7pa16qt2egdtq/1989%20CC%202001%20Dash%20Panel.zip?dl=0
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic