Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stringer/ Floor Replacement Lessons Learned

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2016 at 7:03pm
Not sure the wax on dixie cups won't dissolve into the resin.

I cut off the tops of beer cans (doesn't take much), for mixing cups.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
dgray007 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgray007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2016 at 7:46pm
it doesn't. i went through about 5 sleeve of them... 8 or 10 oz worked well for me.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2016 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by dgray007 dgray007 wrote:

it doesn't. i went through about 5 sleeve of them... 8 or 10 oz worked well for me.

Daniel,
How do you know the coating doesn't affect the resin?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2016 at 8:56pm
I prefer to use mixing cups that are designed for the job. The extra cost far outweighs taking a chance that a coating in a cheap cup may come off contaminating a resin and ruining all the time, effort and cost in a repair. The nice thing about these cups is once the resin is cured, it will pop right out of the cup so the cup can be used again.

Chris,
Make sure you rinse that beer out before mixing up the resin. You sure wouldn't want any disbonding!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2016 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Chris,
Make sure you rinse that beer out before mixing up the resin. You sure wouldn't want any disbonding!

I always thought beer was a great bonding agent
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2016 at 11:34pm

Food for thought after doing a stringer and floor replacement on my 89 Nautique 2001.

Daniel,
How about posting some pictures of your stringer/floor job? Pictures are always welcome and certainly a benefit for anyone who needs to do the job and hasn't ever done it before.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dgray007 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgray007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2016 at 11:22am
That sentence is more of a word of warning than anything for the people who are new to fiberglass. Small projects or repairs are pretty safe all in all. When you get into reglassing an entire floor in a 20ft boat in let's say a 2 or even 3 car garage it doesn't take long for the fumes to become overwhelming. With proper ventilation and heating fiberglass is very safe.

Most people opt for the epoxy resin over the polyester resin. I personally used a high quality polyester resin purchased in bulk from a friend who owned a fiberglass tonneau cover company for 15 years. Most of my knowledge on fiberglass came from this gentleman. My point was to make people do their research before purchasing something. Marina's charge an arm and a leg for the same products you can buy elsware for a 1/4 the cost. For most repairs high quality polyester resin is more than sufficient. Stringers are a major project. Anything to make it easier should be considered.

ill street composites was a good source for fiberglass related products.

Smc is rare to say the least but it is still out there. Just something to consider depending on the age of your boat and the repair being performed. I hate doing things twice...

Closed cell vs open cell expandable foams. You can still purchase open cell expandable foam Don't use this stuff.. In the 80's open cell foams were commonly used in recreational boats. They were great at keeping boats afloat in emergencies but they are also great at absorbing and holding water. This is partially the reason your stringers are rotting out. Closed cell foam forms a "skin" around each air bubble that is less likely to hold water. When I removed the foam from my 89 i could wring out the chunks like a sponge. There was probably an extra 1000 lbs in overall added weight to the boat. when completed with repairs I actually gained 9 mph.

All good questions... Hope that clears up a little bit of it.

dgray007 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgray007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2016 at 11:37am
Well i am not a chemical engineer so i cannot say 100% that the wax coating had no effect on the resin. I would advise anyone to do a spot check if using anything other than a dedicated fiberglass mixing cup. You are correct in warning about the liner. Ideally a plain paper mixing cup should be used. I found these difficult to come by on short notice. I checked with a friend, he ran a fiberglass shop for 15 years, and in short gave me the ok on a bees wax lined cup...Avoid synthetic lined cups. For larger mixes I used plenty of plastic mixing cups. After a few uses i did find it difficult to get the cups clean enough for my liking and ended up tossing them.   http://www.carbonfiberglass.com/Supplies-Tools/Mixing-Tools       The measuring cup at the top of the page is a lifesaver...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2016 at 12:35pm
Daniel,
Thanks for filling in the blanks as well as posting the pictures.
Earlier it was mentioned that epoxy resins seem to be the recommended choice. Couple benefits are they bond better, are higher strength and they don't smell as bad polyesters. Also, an important benefit is epoxy isn't hygroscopic like polyesters are. Wet foam isn't the only thing that contributes to getting moisture into the wood. Polyester being hygroscopic certainly isn't a factor when you are making tonneau covers.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dgray007 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgray007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2016 at 1:22pm
Hygroscopy (etymology and pronunciation) is the ability of a substance to attract and hold water molecules from the surrounding environment. This is achieved through either absorption or adsorption with the absorbing or adsorbing substance becoming physically changed somewhat

Surprisingly enough this was an issue with tonneau covers. Between temperature extremes and stagnant moisture from above and below the cover it was something that was considered. Early on they had problems with the core used in their covers.

I wouldn't hesitate to use polyester resin again. I think there are definitely pro's and con's to both.

I will see if i can get some better photo's to post. The file uploader was being a bit fussy. The finished product is listed for sale on this site. search for the listing in coldwater mi...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2016 at 1:37pm
6gal for an entire stringer job? Sounds like 1/3 to 1/2 as much resin as is typically needed for a stringer/floor job. Just mat, no cloth? Curious about the glass schedule you used, sounds lighter than most here use? Fillets on corners is a great recommendation, not sure bondo would make my list of recommendations though. Certainly better than no fillet I suppose.

If you haven't used epoxy before, you may be amazed at the difference in fumes and ease of working. I've used both and found poly (and vinyl) more sensitive/temperamental to environmental conditions, less than perfect mixing, etc.

Good tips though, certainly more than one way to tackle this beast...
dgray007 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgray007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2016 at 1:47pm
I misspoke on the mat.... i used cloth...    Bondo was used because it is the same basic makeup of fiberglass minus the cloth or mat.... They work well together chemically as well as physically.   The total of resin used is an estimate. This was done about 2 years ago and a lot of beer was drank in the mean time.
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2016 at 1:53pm
im on the other end of the scale with 25g of vinyl ester resin in the floor, stringers and
other repairs and modifications. im waaay overkill with glass and resin.   no data on how much to use when converting to coosa board though.   well it will never break ..........
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2016 at 2:37pm

I misspoke on the mat.... i used cloth...    Bondo was used because it is the same basic makeup of fiberglass minus the cloth or mat.... They work well together chemically as well as physically.   The total of resin used is an estimate. This was done about 2 years ago and a lot of beer was drank in the mean time.

Cloth makes more sense as that won't soak up nearly as much resin as mat. 6gal still seems to imply a pretty light layup.

Bondo is poly based- so if you're correct that it is compatible with poly resin. If using it with epoxy, care needs to be taken as poly doesn't stick well to epoxy (epoxy on the other hand sticks to all of the above). Bondo is just a thickened resin- and the thickener is not high strength. There are other thickeners available of varying strength and ease of working that may be more suitable depending on the application.
dgray007 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgray007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2016 at 2:57pm
correct, bondo is not a structural component rather a means to fill air gaps that could form and allow the cloth/resin combo to be as strong as it should be. nor is bondo a glue....
dgray007 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgray007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2016 at 3:06pm
25 gallons? holly crap. 7 total layers of cloth on the floor plus a 1/4 core, 7-10 layers on each stringer, inner and outer. I'm sure i didn't go through more than 15 gallons on my project. You can get too much resin. To0 much resin per layer will be weaker than the proper amount per layer.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2016 at 3:19pm
Big difference between 6gal and 15gal! Probably somewhere between using all cloth. 25 does seem on the high side... But if you're using a heavy weight material (mat, biax, woven roving, etc) it will suck up a lot more resin than a lightweight cloth will.
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2016 at 4:18pm
well i had 1808 and used 4 where engines sit and 2 for the rest. 1708 on bottom and top of the deck.   repaired and reinforced the rudder area, lifting ring mount area and the rear deck from lifting ring ripping out.   didnt know what weight glass i had until after project was done.   well not actually done but mostly. hooking up engine and getting ready to fire in next couple of weeks.

1808 drinks up resin like you would not believe and it is not overly saturated.

i did however do some grinding down of the surfaces so some of the excessive build up has been removed but not that much.

due to the ultra low cost of my materials i wasnt too concerned with waste.
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2016 at 11:22am
Stringer and floor replacement 86 SN 4 years ago with help from this site and everything is still together with out any problems.
I used a straight edge laid across gunnel for measuring down to old stringer height.
and drew a sketch of stringer on the straight edge helped tremendously. If going back with plywood a adjustment will have to be made for finish height of stringers.
Two mistakes I made
Engine mounts- Give your self some room so you can get under the cradle when it goes back on to hold the bolt. I did not cut this area deep enough in stringer and it is a pain to get bolts back in.
Dog box- Front two corners where it closes- sounds real dumb, Be careful that you have left enough floor in this area for box.

Also the chase for wiring harness think that part through. I would have pulled all wires through before I put floor in.

***Have boxes shipped to work so your wife does not start to wonder how much your spending**

One last thing be committed,
Vinegar works nice to clean up epoxy.

Lakedog55
Bill T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2016 at 1:09pm
Add an Oscillating Saw to the tool list. I was using a 4" Pneumatic cut off tool to cut the old stringers out. It was very dusty and hard to be precise with. I bought an Oscillating saw from Harbor Freight and it made the job 10 times faster with much less mess.
Little one View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Little one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2016 at 6:34pm
When doing a stringer job should the boat be removed from the Trailer or is it ok to leave it on the Trailer?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2016 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by Little one Little one wrote:

When doing a stringer job should the boat be removed from the Trailer or is it ok to leave it on the Trailer?

FAQ thread with links to stringer replacement.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dgray007 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgray007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 10:50am
Depends on how far you are going with the stringer replacement, the best way is to hang the boat from the factory hooks. That's assuming your factory hooks are stable enough to do this. I didn't have the space to completely suspend the boat so i hung the front with a cherry picker. Definitely not ideal but it got the job done. The hull will conform to the trailer and stay that way after you reglass everything. Fiberglass is amazingly flexible...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 11:20am
I don't agree. Whether or not doing a stringer job on the trailer, or whether the lifting points are sufficient will vary from boat to boat and how far the boat is stripped down. The more structure and hull thickness is removed, the more external support needs to be added.

The bottom line is that the hull needs to be supported sufficiently in its original shape when doing structural work. Trailer bunks plus additional support points from below (corners) is what I've done in the past.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 11:30am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I don't agree. Whether or not doing a stringer job on the trailer, or whether the lifting points are sufficient will vary from boat to boat and how far the boat is stripped down. The more structure and hull thickness is removed, the more external support needs to be added.

The bottom line is that the hull needs to be supported sufficiently in its original shape when doing structural work. Trailer bunks plus additional support points from below (corners) is what I've done in the past.

I agree. I'll see if I can find the treads were members have built additional stands while the hull sits on the trailer.

. That's assuming your factory hooks are stable enough to do this....

If the stringers are bad enough to undertake a replacement, then the chances are high that blocking for the lifting rings are also bad.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dgray007 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgray007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 11:34am
I think we are saying the same thing. Do not replace the stringers without taking the weight off of the pressure points of the hull. If you don't the hull will deform and stay that way. Whether by suspending, which is how many professional boat builders do it or with supports in conjunction with the trailer bunks the hull needs to be "relaxed" during the process. Ideas do differ on the best way to support the hull. Suspension in conjunction with safety supports below is probably the safest bet.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 12:28pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Kat Daddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kat Daddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2018 at 10:40am
I found it easy to use a flat pry bar and a rubber mallet to get under the foam to remove it, that stuff is evil...take pics of everything, so to refer as what is what when replacing. Use the 10 mil thick flexible hose for the bilge ventilation, prolly what rotted my floor in the first place...and as stated before, keep your focus on the objective and how awesome your boat is going to be when you finish and how you will be using it.
Kjerchinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kjerchinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2019 at 10:12pm
Very informative post, I have one question..
It is noted that the boat should not be sitting on a trailer when the stringers are removed..
I am looking to replace only the secondary stringers.
Does envy one know if those can be replaced as the boat sits on the trailer..
The primary stringers are ok, but the secondary ones must be replaced.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-10-2019 at 10:22pm
You will be fine on trailer.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic