NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HELP Outboard Battery

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP Outboard Battery
    Posted: May-25-2012 at 12:44pm
Mother-in-law just called, said their boat battery is dead. Would like to pick up the battery here before I head north. Anyone have any idea what size battery to start a 1984 Evinrude 100 HP. Nothing useful on the web (yet). Long shot, but thought I would try here...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2012 at 12:58pm
I would think any decent sized battery will be fine. Its more of a question of what size the battery box is. Have her get the Group number of the old battery for you, or at least some basic dimensions.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2012 at 1:11pm
Tim, I think that is probably beyond her skill set unfortunately... Your right, and since she is trying to sell it it really doesn't matter - just need to start it for potential buyers. Any fresh battery will probably start it. Battery goes in a standard battery box (plastic with strap on top), then slips under the rear deck (typical outboard runabout configuration).
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2012 at 1:17pm
Reading a model number off the battery or using a tape measure is beyond her skill set? Oh brother!

Battery shapes and sizes can vary wildly- that box is probably meant to accomodate a certain group #.

If youre flying completely blind, then err on the small/cheap side... and keep the receipt! The safest bet would probably be the smaller of the marine battery options available at an autoparts store... though probably not the cheapest option.
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2012 at 1:27pm
Get a 24 with decent cold creanking amps.It is smaller, will start the boat fine and fit any box otherwise have her measure the top length and width of the dead one.

Definately buy a marine battery it has the smaller posts with wing nuts. Auto batteries do not.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2012 at 1:31pm
Will to her credit, she is actually a bit over-whelmed caring for my Father-in-law who recently had a stroke. I am just trying to ease the burden on the things I can help with.

I have a general idea on size, but again good advice, smaller is better. Plan is to pick something at local farm store down here, as opposed to driving back and fourth the 45 minutes, once I get up there.

Kevin, 24 is what we'll try. the number 650 seems stuck in my head for some reason, you think that would be enough? Those old V-4 really didn't have that much compression, so it should turn pretty easy.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2012 at 1:33am
I would go to a local box store that sells battery boxes and see what size battery fits in them and work from there. You could probably do the same thing online with some creativity.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2012 at 1:37am
link to battery box

Looks like a series 24 would fit.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2012 at 10:32pm
Thanks Guys, went with a size 25 650CCA, worked like a champ!!!

Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic