Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Warning Light/Low oil level

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Tarheel Blue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarheel Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Warning Light/Low oil level
    Posted: May-28-2012 at 7:37pm
1996 Sport Nautique with the GT 40/EFI. Engine warning light/Low oil pressure came on while underway today and engine shut down. She was 1 qt. low. Added a quart, disconnected the positive battery cable to reset the Pro-tec feature for 5 minutes, reconnected the cable. Checked the oil level, all good to go. Then attempted to restart, and it still won't crank up. Have I missed something?

Advice/help most welcome. Thanks.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2012 at 11:28pm
It didn't pop out your main breaker on the back of the motor did it? I guess yours would have this feature also. Might have to let it cool down about an hour or so also.
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2012 at 11:46pm
One quart low sends the shut down signal?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarheel Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2012 at 12:37am
Engine turns over, but won't start. Will check the main breaker. Thanks for the tip on that.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2012 at 2:30am
I'm doubting the main breaker if it's cranking, that would take out your ignition switch as well. The ProTec does have another 12.5 amp breaker, check that one they should be together.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2012 at 2:39pm
Wait, is this a Protec motor though, or a GT-40?
Use the Skidim Engine ID Gallery if you're not sure.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2012 at 3:58pm
96 should be a gt40 non protec at all...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarheel Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2012 at 3:18pm
Many thanks to Tommy at White Lake Marine for helping me troubleshoot the starting problem over the telephone no less. WLM is for real. Turned out to be I hadn't drained off the water in the Fuel Control Cell since taking ownership, nor changed the filter. Now I know. Also learned that the boat should be stored with a full tank of fuel over the winter months. AND....I was wrong about my boat being equipped w/the Pro-Tech system. I'm such a rookie. Hope this helps someone else avoid being stranded on the water and the embarrassment of a tow.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2012 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by Tarheel Blue Tarheel Blue wrote:

1996 Sport Nautique with the GT 40/EFI. Engine warning light/Low oil pressure came on while underway today and engine shut down. She was 1 qt. low. Added a quart.

Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

One quart low sends the shut down signal?

I detect Mark is being a little facetious here!   

No a quart low will not trigger to system. Note it is an oil pressure warning and not a low oil warning. For the system to trigger on no oil pressure, you would need to be so low on oil that the oil pump pick up sucks air. That's low!!! The only other thing to get low pressure is an oil pump failure.

Mitch,
I'm glad WLM was able to help out and you found the problem. now, go skiing, boarding and or boating but, keep in mind you don't have a Tube Nautique!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2012 at 9:40pm
I told you Tommy would help if you could get him on the phone. Remember I told you it was probably nothing to do with the warning light?
Tim D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarheel Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2012 at 12:26am
Tim, forecast looks good for this weekend. Get your "honey-Do's" done before Saturday. LKW is nice and high now, w/water going over the dam. See you on the lake.

Mitch
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2012 at 12:52am
Maybe the wind will stop since the two tropical storms are finally out of here.
Tim D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarheel Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2012 at 12:58am
TD, you should have seen LKW at sunset this evening. The water was as slick as a freshly scraped ice rink, minus the occasional surfacing of a 12 foot gator.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic