Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

454 seized and cracked manifolds

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bryans 86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryans 86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 454 seized and cracked manifolds
    Posted: May-29-2012 at 3:14am
i recently picked up a 1989 barefoot nautique with a 454 with only 280hrs. the block was cracked and seized and the manifolds are cracked pretty bad. I have another 454 block so im dropping both motors off at machine shop and having a fresh rebuild done The questions i have is theyre any upgrades i should do while the motor is apart? maybe a cam or roller rockers. second question where would be a good place to find replacement manifolds?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2012 at 11:33am
Hopefully youre rebuilding an engine for the boat in the proper reverse rotation?
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2012 at 12:20pm
I have a set of merc manifolds you are welcome to them if you want them.Oh the dreaded 454 RR cam question not much out there.I have a comp cam a little better than stock with new lifters ready to install get yourself a decent set of heads if you really want to see any improvement in performace. You dont have to spend a lot (like I did) to wake it up costs about the same to rebuild 781's or 049's which flow a lot better than stock peanuts. Also have stock peanuts you can bolt right on cheap save you some money if you are happy with stock ones.I am rootin for you seems not too many big block threads actually get finished here.(stirring things up! mine is almost done) so I am guilty of the same thing just waiting for cam to get here so I can button it up.My build got way out of control.They say big inches or big dollars or C all of the above
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2012 at 1:08pm
89 2001's are std rotation maybe the 454's in 89 went to the 1.23 trans and are std too!
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2012 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

89 2001's are std rotation maybe the 454's in 89 went to the 1.23 trans and are std too!

I dont believe that to be the case. All '89-90 454 powered CC's Ive seen have reverse rotation 454's mated to BW 72c 1:1's.
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2012 at 1:26pm
As is my 91, they put the motor in backwards and it still rr ???
Brian
bryans 86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryans 86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2012 at 10:55pm
thanks for all the information this is my first decent boat. would mercruiser manifolds work? mine say pleasure craft. how much you want for them shipped to 03872
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2012 at 12:34am
I am in CT not too far away.these are center rise 454 manifolds should work ok I would be willing to meet you half way.Like the heads let someone that has use for them have them.I will never use them what is the casting numbers on your heads can save the price of rebuild.
bryans 86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryans 86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2012 at 1:03am
I will grab the numbers tomorrow. hopefully the heads off the nautique will be ok to use with just a resurface,how much for the manifolds i thankfully will meet you half way. the engine and boat only have 280hrs. its a shame the previous owner just let the boat sit without winterizing it. What would a 89 barefoot nautique with new interior, fresh motor, and a 1991 trailer in great shape be worth roughly? trying to reassure myself i didnt get screwed over.
Got Tiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Got Tiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2012 at 1:29pm
Bryans 86, Good luck on the rebuild, and don't take the cost vs price too seriously, but get some fun out of the rebuild and knowing what you've done and learned. Many of us spend way more than we could sell our boats for, but we usually end up with a real treasure that has so many advantages. Think about the cost of a new boat and the depreciation in the first years!!

Thread Jack, if you don't take those heads from oldcuda, I would be interested in talking to him. Down my project list is a rebuild on a RR 86 BBC Footer. oldcuda PM me please. Thanks, Todd

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2012 at 1:39pm
UT, dont bother with the peanut ports if that's what oldcuda is selling... those are the same as what youve got already, and are a major choke point on the BBC's. We'll get you set up with a set of 781 or 049's when the time comes for the Banana boat to go under the knife. I may have a RR flat tappet core that I could donate to the cause as well. Word on the street is that Comp is fresh out.

We're taking steps to get the '79 back in the water soon... all it took was a big pile of money! We'll see if we can crack that 60mph mark yet.
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2012 at 3:13pm
Does the 60 mph count if I do it with the resorter just kiddin.I am not selling the pp heads I just could not live with myself but I can't see someone spending money on them when I have a real low hr set they can bolt on for free.He said is manifolds were cracked bad chances are heads are not much better.Some are happy with factory performce why pay for it.If it gets someone in the water quick I am all for it. This stuff is just putting a dent in my concrete floor.I have that last comp cam with new lifters ready to save you more money if you need it.PM if interest in cam and lifters specs are a little better than stock will work good with head upgrade
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2012 at 3:29pm
Oldcuda, I hear where youre coming from! Those heads might work great for Brian86's '89 BFN. My comment above was directed to my Uncle Todd (Got Tiques).

Century you say... any chance you went roller on that RH 454?
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2012 at 4:13pm
TRBenj you guessed that one.Everything changed when I found a source for a hydraulic roller.I figured this was only going to happen one time so I might as well go for it.Internally balanced all forged 496,10:1 comp,ended up with edelbrock RPM rect port heads and air gap intake.Will be raising box a little dont know till I get it in hoping about 2-3 inches.Cam is 620-615 225-230@050 just guessing from memory dont have specs in front of me.Motor should easily do 550+ with torque numbers about 600 @4700.He does abunch of these just spinning other way and says numbers are conservative.We spec'd it at 5000 rpm max this should be interesting. I will have it at Highland Lake in Winsted for the 4th I hope
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2012 at 4:37pm
Wow, that sounds like an awesome build. Would love to check it out in person.

You and I got the last 2 roller cores- Bob told me the other one was going in a Century. Cool that its local!

We hope to have our BFN back in the water by the 4th as well... we had to go a little wilder than expected on the cam (slightly less lift than you, but more duration) due to our excessive compression (10.4) matched to iron heads... I havent gotten the data spit back out yet with the expected performance numbers, but I think we'll be in the 480hp range, probably peaking ~5600rpm. With the new cam and upgraded exhaust, Im expecting to see a consistent 60mph... we were in the 58-59mph range last year with the Comp cam and stock-like 3" Osco cast iron manifolds. Had we been starting from scratch rather than inheriting a strong running longblock, a stroker (496) 454 would have been the perfect starting point.
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2012 at 4:58pm
So you were the other guy Bob was talking about Cool!We got a little crazy with mine because of me allready doing a 496 trying to compensate for weak cam choices.I asked him to pick optimum compression to work with his cam knowledge and the rest is $$$$$.I really like the Resorter and will probably have it for a long time.I decided to keep max rpm at 5000 with a real wide torque band and that is what he came up with I hope he finishes it today I would love to get this going.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic