Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Throttle needed to start

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
825KI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 825KI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Throttle needed to start
    Posted: June-07-2012 at 2:07am
First I would say hi, I've been lurking off and on for the past year or so. Bunch of great looking rides!
Anyways here is my question. I have a 1982 Ski Nautique with around 570hrs. The engine is a 351 and starts up fine here in the drive way with just a bump of the key. (no back pressure?) Now out on the water it's a different story. She will run perfect but once you turn off the key, I have to give it neutral warm up throttle every time I want to start her otherwise it takes 10-15 sec of cranking for it to start. I don't know if this has anything to do with it but what I have noticed it that engine temp goes from 160 degrees while running to 220-230 while off then back to 160 once it starts. Normal heat soak?(has new impeller) Carb has been rebuilt but I'm guessing that it may need tweaking?
1982 Ski Nautique
1982 K5 Blazer
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 5:16pm
Hmmm, a little more info.

Are you saying it starts easily when cold (on the trailer)
but
in the water (hot? assuming you're running it) it's harder to start?
825KI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 825KI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Hmmm, a little more info.

Are you saying it starts easily when cold (on the trailer)
but
in the water (hot? assuming you're running it) it's harder to start?

Correct to both
1982 Ski Nautique
1982 K5 Blazer
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2012 at 12:55am
Jesse - You will get many opinions here on the cause of your problem.      I have experienced hard starting such as you described & found it helpful to back off the timing a bit.    I run about 8 degrees BTDC & it is much easier to start hot. Most guys are running 10 BTDC, BTW. Other simple items are to make sure your ignition points are in good shape & fine tune the carb idle mixture.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2012 at 1:33am
Good ideas above. One more suggestion too, make sure your choke plate is opening up as it should. It should be totally vertical when the engine is warm.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic