NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is this brick BBQ?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is this brick BBQ?
    Posted: June-07-2012 at 1:41pm
I'd love to know a little bit more about this thing. It came with our cottage and I'm having a hard time envisioning what the point of it is, and how it would be used. Looks like a firebox with a chimney in the rear, and a slate piece that would be some sort of cooking surface. We've cleaned it all out but haven't used it yet mainly because we don't know how you use it.

Any history on these things, as well as advantages of using one or what the point even is would be great. I don't get it.

2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2012 at 2:08pm
I think Kapala has played around with something like this when they have their huge BBQ parties over in ARG...
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2012 at 2:16pm
Looks like an Outdoor Fireplace/BBQ set-up. Really just for the Rich and Famous    Yes people sit outside by a fire and Sip Wine and eat Cheese here in our Emerywood Section of houses--all Million dollar homes    Here in High Point,NC- At one time we had the biggest per- capital amount of Millionaires living in one area--only because of being the Furniture Capital of the World--

But with the Snow on that thing why isn't it fired up then.    Get us a pic with a FIRE in that thing and a BBQ
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2012 at 2:23pm
Do you grill on it? Is the point that it's a grill that uses wood rather than charcoal? Where's Pete when I need him?
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

mrwillya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrwillya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2012 at 2:44pm
Hard to tell in the pic, but is there an enclosed space? I've seen several outdoor pizza ovens like this.

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2009/08/26/howto-build-an-outdo.html
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2012 at 2:45pm
Joel,
It's simply a BBQ before the days of the enclosed top fancy gas grills we have now. They were real popular back in the 50's Magazines like Popular Mechanics even had plans for them. It's too bad the PO built it with brick and not the traditional north woods field stone. You can use ether wood or charcoal. There should be a grate that goes with it. If gone, maybe it just rusted out?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2012 at 2:55pm
Looks like in the place of a grate is just a slab of slate.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2012 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

I'd love to know a little bit more about this thing. It came with our cottage and I'm having a hard time envisioning what the point of it is, and how it would be used. Looks like a firebox with a chimney in the rear, and a slate piece that would be some sort of cooking surface. We've cleaned it all out but haven't used it yet mainly because we don't know how you use it.

Any history on these things, as well as advantages of using one or what the point even is would be great. I don't get it.

Wow, I thought we had a long winter!

For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 10:12am
the big thing now are pizza ovens in the back yard
"the things you own will start to own you"
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 11:06am
Those things were in almost every back yard when I lived back east. never cooked on one, mostly used for burning leaves when that was allowed.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 11:25am
i have seen them with a piece of fire escape for a grille surface
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 12:36pm
Joel,
Keep the Weber for grilling. Then, pull the slab of slate out of the brick BBQ. One of those self contained kegerators with the tap in the top should slide right in the hole. I'll be over to try it out!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic