NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

71 CC Mustang Ride

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 71 CC Mustang Ride
    Posted: June-08-2012 at 2:16pm
I wonder what happened ?????

66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 2:21pm
Bad karma from sitting on the seatback while underway.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 7:41pm
hmmmm ....
last few frames said you should rebuild a 40 year old water pump before taking her out...

Lesssssseee... 2012 - 1973 = 39 years .. I should be ok!

btw, that water makes us river rats sick.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Big t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 8:05pm
Gotta love a brass gear pump for that
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 9:27pm
I always wonder why you-tubers feel compelled to overdub with music when all we really wanna hear is the roar of an inboard engine
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by Big t Big t wrote:

Gotta love a brass gear pump for that

Tony,
Yup, thankfully we don't have to put up with all the problems of a brass gear pump anymore. The marinizers were phasing them out in the late 30's early 40's. Did you think the 71 had a brass gear pump?

I did run into the problem when I rebuild this 27 Universal. The gears and housing were so worn that there was no chance of it working even if I packed a pound of grease in it. Thankfully I was able to locate a NOS gear pump and modify the mount to make it work.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Big t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2012 at 10:11pm
My 1960 universal has a brass gear pump I wouldn't trade it for a rubber pump even if it came with a 5 lb bag of $50s It never drys out and gose to bits I hade a bouncy of problems with a Chris craft modle b with a rubber pump in it swapped it out for a gear pump solved all the cooling problems I'm sold!!!!!!!!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2012 at 9:06am
Tony,
Is your Universal the Unimite in the still unknown CC outboard hull that is an inboard? What year is the Unimite? How many hours have you put in on it?

It's interesting your opinion on gear pumps VS: rubber impeller. I remember back in the late 60's when I was at Watercraft, we were actually converting the old gears to rubber. The priming of the gear was and still is the problem especially when worn beyond the .0005" gear to housing clearance. There's a reason they put the grease cups on those pumps!! Many would forget to use them or not know they were supposed to. Then there was always the problem of running out of grease when you wanted to use the boat!!

Since my joining the ACBS in the late 70's, I have never heard one person endorse a gear pump. In fact, we've had tech seminars that included "how to's" on converting them to rubber. I believe I asked once but never got an answer. Are you an ACBS member?

BTW, my model B got a new rubber impeller when I rebuilt the engine in the late 70's and then the second one just a year ago before I hauled it to the GL reunion. I have NEVER had a cooling problem with it. Were you running it dry? If so, that will trash the rubber impeller within minutes. What boat is your B in?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Big t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2012 at 9:59am
I am not a member of the acbs the rubber impeler would not self prime even after a new impeller that was in a 1951 chris craft 16 foot utility. I also hade a second one in a 1930's Chris modle 300 that was thesame way so it got a gear pump as well. The universal shows 500 houres when the tach cable broke my best estamet is around 1000 houres
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2012 at 10:33am
Originally posted by Big t Big t wrote:

I am not a member of the acbs the rubber impeler would not self prime even after a new impeller that was in a 1951 chris craft 16 foot utility. I also hade a second one in a 1930's Chris modle 300 that was thesame way so it got a gear pump as well. The universal shows 500 houres when the tach cable broke my best estamet is around 1000 houres

Why not an ACBS member? It sounds like with your boats and background you'd fit in real well! Have you ever been involved? Have you ever looked into the association? How familiar are you with the ACBS and your local chapter?

If you had priming problems after installing a new rubber impeller, then you had other problems other than the impeller.

All we've seen are some pictures of your "yet to be determined what it is" CC. How about some picture of your other boats?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Big t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2012 at 12:01am
I am very familiar with the local acbs chapter. I'm very good frends with the vp of the local chapter untill the skiff I did not have a running floating inboard. I have my atom skier ( witch is currently up side down with half of the bottom off). I have been into outboards. And befor that it was antique snowmobiles. After my membership is up in the outboard club I was going to look into the acbs. If there is an internal combustion engin involved there is a very good chance that I will or have learned about it and find out the hard way if I can make it go fast. That one impeller pump still haunts me to this day I have done several others several with no problem at all.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2012 at 12:56am
Tony,
Great to hear your intention's! now, we need to work on your horrible spelling! Doesn't your computer have any means of spell checking?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Big t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2012 at 1:06am
Yes it try's to auto correct but Im so far off most of the time that it comes up with no replacement found. It also dosent help that I'm doing this on an IPod and my fingers have been described as sausages!!!!!!!!!!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2012 at 1:15am
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

I always wonder why you-tubers feel compelled to overdub with music when all we really wanna hear is the roar of an inboard engine

Exactly what I was thinking when I watched it!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic