NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Belt dust

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Brock42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brock42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Belt dust
    Posted: June-09-2012 at 10:31am
Hey guys I am the new owner of a 94 ski nautique I purchased a few weeks back runs very well but I have noticed a little bit of a squeal only sometimes on acceleration and there is also some black dust build up around the front area where the belt is.it doesn't
Make the squeal noise very often but I was just gonna get some knowledgable advice on what I should look for thank you so much.
grim007 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grim007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2012 at 10:44am
could be as simple as a loose belt that needs adjusted
shaken not stirred
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2012 at 10:49am
More likely it's a sheave alignment problem. It's pretty common. Get the straight edge out and do some checking. Pictures would be great too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2012 at 11:11am
You might want to replace the belts after you fix the cause of squealing. Once they glaze, they will continue to squeal.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Brock42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brock42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2012 at 12:45pm
Where do you place the straight edge on the pulleys and how do you tighten the belt thanks for the quick replies guys.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2012 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Brock42 Brock42 wrote:

Where do you place the straight edge on the pulleys and how do you tighten the belt thanks for the quick replies guys.

Brock,
The straight edge is for checking the alignment and not the belt tension. You place the straight edge so it touches all four outside edge of the two sheaves you are aligning. If it doesn't touch an edge then ether a lateral or a twisting adjustment is needed.

For tension, it's sort of by feel. On the alternator belt, I've always tightened until I can't spin the alternator sheave by hand. The RWP is about the same. There are guides that say you should be able to push the belt in a 1/4" but some can push harder than others!! They even make spring loaded gauges that can be used.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2012 at 3:56pm
Brock,
It sounds like you may need some help. Here's a Gates document with some pictures that hopefully will give you a better idea on how to align V belt sheaves

We still would like some pictures so we may be able to spot the problem and help out.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Brock42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brock42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 4:48pm
i cant seem to get the pics to upload is there somehow i can send them to a email and someone post for me
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 7:07pm

i cant seem to get the pics to upload is there somehow i can send them to a email and someone post for me

What comes up when you try to upload the picture? Many here including myself use an on line photo service like photobucket.com

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 8:09pm
Brock - You need to treduce the file size to below 200K. I email them to myself & file size compression is an option to use.

Ben Franklin
Alcarlaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alcarlaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 8:46pm
I had some belt dust due to corrosion of the pulley surfaces. A little sanding and a coat of paint on the pulley and all sorted.
Brock42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brock42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 9:05pm
http://s1159.photobucket.com/albums/p633/brock421/

Here is a quick vid that i was able to get
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 9:13pm

http://s1159.photobucket.com/albums/p633/brock421/

Here is a quick vid that i was able to get

The link doesn't work for me plus, it's not a true link. Sorry!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Brock42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brock42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 9:35pm
I think you may have to copy and paste it and it should come up.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 9:42pm

I think you may have to copy and paste it and it should come up.

Yes, I did but your link still isn't proper to the site.

Your alternator belt is way too loose. As mentioned, I suggest some help.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Brock42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brock42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 9:45pm
What do I need to do after I upload it to photobucket
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 10:25pm

What do I need to do after I upload it to photobucket

When you scroll over the picture you want to post on the photobucket site, you will get a side bar with choices. Click on the bottom which is the address, copy it and paste it to the thread.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Brock42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brock42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 10:30pm
Brock42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brock42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 10:33pm
thanks for the help i finally got it figured out
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 10:39pm

thanks for the help i finally got it figured out

No problem! Did you figure out the pictures posting or the belt alignment/tension issue?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Brock42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brock42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 10:47pm
I got the pic posting haven't resolved any issues in the belt yet.
skyway2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyway2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 10:51pm
I would replace that orange oil filter when you get a chance, too.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by skyway2k skyway2k wrote:

I would replace that orange oil filter when you get a chance, too.

GD, how did I miss that orange filter!!

BTW, maybe it's my screen size but I can't see the dam, Fram Filter! It's best anyway since I really don't need anymore damage to my eyes at this point in my life!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Brock42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brock42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 11:23pm
What is the best filter to go with and what's the problem with the orange one I'm sorry for all the noob question this is my first boat and still learning a lot and I sure do appreciate all help given.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 11:23pm
Fram has new marketing blitz - heard this on the radio the other day.     I think the economy filter they are comparing to is a Fram!

"Uses cellulose and synthetic glass fiber blended media to provide 3X MORE engine protection than the average of leading economy oil filters"

Ben Franklin
skyway2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyway2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 11:27pm
I use a Motorcraft. I don't have the number off the top of my head. Someone here will know.

Fram filters are garbage. I learned this the hard way when I raced circle track cars. Blew a $12,000 engine when an HP4 filter media disintegrated and clogged up the Moroso pre-screen. Lost oil pressure and blew in half a lap. I'll never get caught again with an orange filter on anything I own.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 11:32pm
Purolator has been running one on tv too,they have theirs and Frams cut open and they show you the difference.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Brock42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brock42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 11:35pm
Ok I'll get that changed ASAP as it's time for a oil change also when I change the oil can I run the drain plug through the drain hole in the hull to drain the oil
skyway2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyway2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 11:41pm
Yeah, that's what the drain hose is for. Put it through your drain plug hole and in to a drain pan before you take the cap off.
Brock42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brock42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2012 at 11:54pm
Alrighty is there any way to tighten the belt to help with the squealing noise
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic