NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

’74 Mustang Restore: Original vs. Useful

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ’74 Mustang Restore: Original vs. Useful
    Posted: October-22-2005 at 12:28pm
I'm struggling with a couple of decisions regarding the restoration of my '74 Mustang. I love the classic look of the boat, but I'm struggling with some aspects of the boat that reduce its usefulness (it's used almost exclusively for wakeboarding). I'd like to solicit opinions from all of you who care to weigh in.

#1 The bench seat. The '74 Mustang has a 3/4 bench seat in the front. This is cool, but it's not really all that useful for wakeboarding and skiing. I'd like to put in two captain type chairs, like on Keith's '79 Mustang so that the passenger can sit backwards or forwards. OR I'm considering putting in one captains seat for the driver and a permanent, backward facing seat for the passenger, like the newer boats. OR I could just suck it up, use the bench seat, and be glad I have such a cool, classic looking boat.

#2 The hull. Part of me thinks the white hull on my Mustang is kind of lame. Several of the other Mustangs from that era are orange, or green, etc, and I have to admit I like the color. I'm tempted to paint the boat fire-engine red.

#3 The dash. Leave it alone or rearrange it? The key is on the right on the '74, which is kind of a pain. Is there any downside into rearranging it more ergonomically? Also, any suggestions on what to replace the fake wood (vinyl covered wood) with? Teak?

#4 The swim platform (or lack of one). There's no platform on this boat, but there is a ladder. If I install a platform, I'm going to have to remove the original ladder hardware, which is integrated into the rail. This will also mean I'll have to replace the rail with something else. Or, I guess I could just cut the ladder so it ended at the swim platform, but that seems kind of useless. Part of me is tempted to just get rid of the ladder and the rail, since they would tend to get in the way when you're putting on a board.

Okay, that's a lot of questions. I'm eager to know what eveyone thinks.

Thanks.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
: The Best Scouting Software
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2005 at 12:38pm
Your boat, your call.

Personally, If I recall, you got a screaming
deal on the boat. If it were me, I'd restore
it close to original (because you seem to enjoy the project element). Sell
it for a profit (of which there is not doubt
in my mind you can do so) and use the
money to buy a 82-89 Ski Nautique model 2001
which already has the features you want, plus
it is a little larger boat.

BKH

Livin' the Dream

Bob's2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob's2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2005 at 2:29pm
I agree with BKH. Unless you just really want to keep the Mustang, flip it for a profit & buy something that fits you wants and needs better. My .02
Bob Ed
83 2001
HOLESHOT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOLESHOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2005 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Your boat, your call.

Personally, If I recall, you got a screaming
deal on the boat. If it were me, I'd restore
it close to original (because you seem to enjoy the project element). Sell
it for a profit (of which there is not doubt
in my mind you can do so) and use the
money to buy a 82-89 Ski Nautique model 2001
which already has the features you want, plus
it is a little larger boat.

BKH

GOOD CALL
IF IT HAS A SPARKPLUG I CAN FIX IT
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2005 at 5:21pm
dchris17....I am with the others...restore it to original.You got it for next to nothing...just keep it as a driving boat(little hotrod) and find another for boarding! Own two!!! Or more...how much garage space do you have...the limiting factor!
You can find 70's Nautique for good prices...they are already configued the way you are wanting...better wake for boarding too!

Color...well..If you gel is in good shape , I would keep that color!If it needs a lot of work...go for the funky retro 70's colors.I love those bright 72 colors!!!I have one Orange and one green...you can see (and hear) me comming a mile away
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2005 at 6:23pm
dchris, I sort of had the exact same questions your asking with ours. The 74 I rebuilt and spent tons of time to get it as original as possible, making it not a great skiing boat due to the seat issue, and the fear of tearing the new interior with a ski. I ended up picking up by pure luck a 76 locally that needed a little TLC, but I figured it would be awesome to play around with. The price was such that I wasnt going to pass it up even though a Ski Nautique would of been better fit for the application. As far as the dash goes, its nothing but wood grain contact paper with fiberglass behind it. The key on the 74 is on the right and the 76 is on the left. I find its easier to start with the 76, but I find I seem to hit the key with my leg every so often so its a toss-up. I am considering on the 76 to pull the front seat, build a plywood platform, carpet it, tie it to the original hinges, then bolt some captains chairs to it.
Those 3/4 front seats are a pain for the observer. The other pain is that the ski rope always seems to get caught in the center of the stern ladder rail when turning to pick up a skier who has fallen. Wow, this post turned out longer than I thought, sorry.
82tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2005 at 10:00pm
All 4 of your ideas are very do-able projects....but those mustangs are so tiny, if you're into wakeboarding I'd try to flip it right now and get a 2001 or barefoot hull.     
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2005 at 7:48am
Okay, so it looks like the consensus is... get another boat. Anybody want to trade?

Okay, so I'm going to want to get a 2001, but, unless someone out there wants to trade a project 2001 for a project Mustang 17, I'm going to have to fix it up, sell it, and then buy a 2001. Which means I'm about 2 years out from having a 2001, since I'm not going to do this all at once.

So here's what I think I'm going to do:
#1: Leave the bench seat.
#2: The hull color: I'm undecided. There's some gel coat work that needs to be done. I might go ahead and paint it, but I think I'm going to polish up a few test patches before I decide so that I can get an idea of how the white will look when it's cleaned up properly.
#3: I hate that crappy contact paper. I'm going to come up with some sort of dash that I like.
#4: I'm going to take off the ladder and add a swim platform for wakeboarding, then put the ladder back on when I sell the boat.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2005 at 9:05am
For your dash...look at the 72 mustang or Martinique dash...they were done in vinyl to match the seats...has that 70's muscle car look.Could you make a pannel, matching the holes for gauges , cover it with in vinyl and screw to the fiberglass??? Just a though!
Good call on the ladder...
AS for the white...compound it with a high speed buffer and polish...tou might be surprized!!!
Now... check out the 79 Nautique that just went up for sale...$1500.00!!!Buy that one and keep them both!!!!
stang

The Super Air

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2005 at 11:25am
dchris; ORIGINAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Then "flip" it for something else more toward what you want. DON'T wreck a great old boat to try and make it something it isn't. You'll sell it easy to someone who would Love to have an old Mustang for just what it is. My .02 worth. But what ever you do, keep us all informed, you know we've all been following this boat since you were lucky enough to find it....john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2005 at 2:12pm
I like the vinyl dash idea. I was thinking of making a teak dash, but teak is kind of spendy. I could do something similar on the gunnels, which were also covered with that contact paper. I already have vinyl that might work for it.

I winterized the boat yesterday, and realized all the hoses have to be replaced. The exhaust hoses are splitting, and the water hoses are ready to go too.

Like they say, it's cheaper to buy a boat than to keep a boat.

As for the '79 Ski Nautique, I could never pull that off. My wife would kill me. The only reason she let me trade one money pit boat for another was because the Mustang was practically free. I've got to hang on to the Mustang for at least two years before I dare suggest getting something else. Besides, I'm really looking forward to the project and to tooling around the lake on such a sweet ride.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2005 at 5:18pm
You can pull it off...what does your wife want!!! I got my last one by taking her to Niagra falls when we picked the boat up! Would have been 6 hours up and 6 back to get the boat...ended up a bunch more miles....But I got it done
stang

The Super Air

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2005 at 6:21pm
I agree 100% with jbear. You might find selling it easier and more profitable keeping it close to original. If you decide to keep it (which I think you will be glad you did later on) and find yourself tooling around 95% of the time instead of boarding, it will serve you well. Listen to stang72, he knows what hes talking about. 2 boats are better than one. Especially when that one dies on a Forth of July Weekend and NO BOAT! Thats just my .02 ! (I guess .02 isnt worth much these days)
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2005 at 6:41pm
I think the only thing $.02 will buy anymore is an opinion! At least on this site we find mostly good ones.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2005 at 7:33pm
dchris...trust me...you can buy her off!!! Find out what it takes...that 79 looks like a steal!!! Shopping spree...trip...you cook dinner for a year...what ever it takes!!! You can do it
2 cents won't do...but $1500.00 will...(plus what ever she needs )
stang

The Super Air

dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2005 at 7:30pm
Trust me... I'm not getting another boat for TWO years minimum. I know who's the boss in my house, and I kind of like it that way.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
pswann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pswann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2005 at 7:51pm
In two years you can turn it into lots of different things.

1) the seats- take the ones in it and throw them in the garage for storage and get what you want. Make sure they will work good in the boat you will get in a couple of years.

2) Hull paint- Not me, maybe a stripe or something. Total grief if it starts coming off.

3) Dash - Do what you want if it looks good it will still add to the value.

4) Swim Platform- Throw one together, I will send you a picture of mine to work from if you would like. You could really design a cool looking one if you spent the time. And it is so small it shouldnt cost too much.

Have a blast!
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2005 at 8:15pm
Thanks pSwann. Send me a picture of your swim platform. david.christiansen@insightbb.com.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2005 at 8:26pm
Dchris If the wife said yes to two boats, would you go that route?? I still like stang72 idea, change the tune to her , then if that doesnt do it..
LOL
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2005 at 8:29pm
stang72, isnt this site fun??
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2005 at 8:38pm
It's a ball
We better back off though or be prepared to to give up two garage spaces (for those two boats ) when he gets booted out! No more for him....I can't live with that.
dchris...you know your boundries!!!
stang

The Super Air

pswann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pswann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2005 at 8:51pm
Man its kind of cold out there! Anyways I clicked a couple so everyone can see what your going to see. I think with a band saw you could really do some work on a deck. forget the straight, Im talking an eagle or woodburning!

And under, I can take a better picture in the daylight maybe.

dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2005 at 6:01am
Thanks pSwan - the pictures are helpful. I don't think I need any more. I'm pretty sure I can design a platform. Any suggestions on where to get the brackets?

To an earlier question, even if my wife let me have two boats at once, I don't think I could pull it off. I have too many projects as it is.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2005 at 6:25am
pswann,

I'm guessing you had those brackets fabricated. My boat is about 800 miles away for the winter, and I want to have some brackets made for a platform I picked up on this site. Since I can't check my boat, my question is: Are the brackets exactly 90 degrees? I fear the transom (75 ski tique) might slope back just a bit and hence the platform would dip to the water. I only want to do this once, and I don't want to wait till next summer. Let me know. Thanks.

(I saw a picture of a boat once with a platform that angled up about 30 degrees. I hate to pick on anyone, but it did look pretty silly)
nautiquefanatic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquefanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2005 at 6:36am
dchris17..........i will have TWO bucket seats that APPEAR to be mustang seats for sale in the very near future. They are currently in my 79 Barefoot Nautique and coming out! I am puting the original seats back in. These buckets do swivel and are adjustable. Thare upholstered in light blue with white stripe and are PERFECT as far as condition! No upholstery work needed here. If you might be interested, I will email you photos. It may be closer to Christmas when I get them out!!! Let me know!

Paul
pswann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pswann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2005 at 3:50pm
100 degrees seems to be the ticket. That is measured against the back of the boat. I wanted to make sure I was pretty close so I cut out a piece of cardboard at 100 degrees and fit it in the middle and outer edges and they are all the same. I think a CC logo in teak would look pretty good.

Unless you enjoy fixing boats I wouldnt recommend 2 boats. I like fixing them so I have 3 and one with two engines. When I am finished fixing these CC I will sell them and get something else to fix.

You said you will have to replace the rubber, and if the rubber is gone I would think that a exhaust manifold is very near in your future so that will keep you busy.

I wonder what the three broken screws on the bottom of this tique used to be. They are on both sides and something was mounted here. Any ideas?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2005 at 5:56pm
The more I think about it dchris, the more I think on how lucky you are to pick up a boat at a steal. It is awesome, will do the job, and probably if you didnt have/get it, you would be wishing you had it! There is no question that boats in general are a lot of work. Dont kill yourself trying to do EVERYTHING at once. If time is limited, do the mechanical stuff to make her reliable, use it, enjoy it, then add toys!! "The human way is to always want something better than to be happy with what you do have."
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2005 at 7:29pm
Thanks for everyone's encouragement. This is a great site.

Okay, so for me the key's to making the boat wakeboard-able are the swim platform and the pylon. I can live with the bench seat for a while, I think. I'm never the observer, so it's not that big a deal to me!

Maybe if a good deal comes along on some pivoting seats I'll put those in for the time being.

I've been working on drawings for a pylon. Since I don't have any pylon at all, I'm going to make a tall pylon that will fit in the existing mounting hardware (rather than a clamp-on extension). I have a friend who works at a machine shop (they have a lathe that can turn pieces with a 40 FOOT diameter) and he is going to take care of the custom fabrication for me. If anyone has done this before, I'd be curious to hear about it.

I think I will build my own swim platform. Maybe I can get something cool laser-etched into the wood. I'll have to think on that. Like the CC logo, or a Mustang. Or maybe the name of the boat (the SS Mini).
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2005 at 7:38pm
So, look at the swim platform/ladder arrangement on Bruce Biven's Mustang. My ladder is just like that, except with no swim platform it just extends all the way down. This is one of the things I've considered - taking about 10 inches off the ladder and having it end at the swim platform. Curious what others think.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2005 at 8:00pm
I would say to take off the teak ladder steps, leave the ladder rails, and cut the platform around the rails. Or, you can undo a section of the rail at the setscrew joints. This will preserve the ladder (no cutting) so if later you want to remove the platform, you can easily reinstall the ladder system. You can buy brackets where it uses a sleeve joint system and a stainless pin allowing removal of the platform with no tools. I installed them on my neighbors Ski Centurion and they worked good, but dont know where he bought them. I can find out if you want. This is real nice when its cleaning time. Just my $.02
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic