NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shaving

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shaving
    Posted: June-12-2012 at 10:44pm
Does anyone use a traditional strait razor? I have been thinking of switching considering 8 refills for a Gillette are around $36.00. Yes there are cheaper brands but i do have sensitive skin around my neck
Average razors are about 100.00 but suppose to last forever. Any thoughts?
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2012 at 11:13pm
Good luck with that! On the bright side you'll get some extra special pat down at the airport.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2012 at 11:31pm
Yikes, whoever puts that near my neck better know how to use it.

Seriously, I feel your pain. The disposables are high priced, and the next newest, sharpest, most blades, vibrating, etc., is just around the corner.

I once played with the idea of using a razor like that after getting a shave in Germany because it was the nicest shave I have ever gotten, but I figured I'd bleed to death practicing.
If we let the professionals do everything it takes all the fun out of youtube
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2012 at 11:55pm
Sweet, try drying your disposable blades with the edge of a towel then hit it with the blow dryer. The residual water is what is supposed to meke them go bad. I dry mine and they last a lot longer.
Those long straight razors give me the creeps!
sweet77 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 12:01am
Originally posted by jimsport93 jimsport93 wrote:

Sweet, try drying your disposable blades with the edge of a towel then hit it with the blow dryer. The residual water is what is supposed to meke them go bad. I dry mine and they last a lot longer.
Those long straight razors give me the creeps!

I do the same thing as well as use a tiny dab of pre-shave oil after its dry. If you guys hear i died it was an accident while practicing. Jenn had nothing to do with it
This is what i use
76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 12:24am
How are you going to keep it razor sharp?
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 12:31am
i haven't shaved with a razor in about 5 years. i use a beard trimmer with the guard removed about once a week...looks like i shaved yesterday...
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 1:28am
You have to get your wife to do the coupon thing, I have more razors and extra blades than I know what to do with. She got'em dirt cheap
levin
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 2:43am
I like the norelco electric, it put an end to a lot of blood letting.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 3:14am
If I were required to keep a close shave I'd be using a safety razor, but I'm not so I do like MI-Nick. Read this, all the beginner info you need to get started.

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 11:05am
Sweet, I'm with Dave on this one. If you get one of the fancy rechargeable Norelco's you'll only go back to using a straight razor once in blue moon (like when you have a special date night with Jennifer ) I've suggested a Norelco to a couple buddies at work that were in the same boat as you. They were like, Dnag I wished I would have done it earlier. It will take some getting used to, but beats the money your shelling out for blades.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 11:32am
Sweet don't listen to any of these guy's only get shaving tip's from Reid and Eddie
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 1:54pm
I go back an forth between the gillette sensor stuff, and Schick Quattro disposable.

I think the Schick winds up being a better deal. But, it still amazes me that these are so expensive in an age of cheap mass produced everything.

Maybe the couponing is the part I'm missing. I may look into the Norelco route though. That's what I started with, but had to use the Gillette's when I was in reserves training, and stuck with it. Might be worth going back.
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 3:48pm
Multi blade refills areone of the most shoplifted and then returned for cash items in most stores. This is most likely having some effect on the price.

You could always grow a beard.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

Multi blade refills areone of the most shoplifted and then returned for cash items in most stores. This is most likely having some effect on the price.

yep, where I shop you take the card from the rack and bring it to the register and they go get them from lockup.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

If I were required to keep a close shave I'd be using a safety razor, but I'm not so I do like MI-Nick. Read this, all the beginner info you need to get started.

That's an interesting thread for a wakeboarding site....."the Lady Splitter" LMAO
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 5:02pm
For the razor people out there, try: http://www.dollarshaveclub.com/

Hilarious video.

I switched to a Braun electric about 5 years ago and that's a 1 way street for sure!
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 7:26pm
I actually own one of those bad boys. I got it from my grandfathers estate. It's never been near my face.

I go back and forth between my Norelco and a Gillette Fusion. If I miss a few days, I use the Fusion. I just changed the blade that I installed in January.

Sweet (or should I call you High Plains Drifter?), what happens when you have to do a little manscaping? That thing could cause some serious problems.   
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 7:34pm
Oh yeah, for that I just the same Mach 3 that the Army sent me when I turned 18.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 9:31pm
Since Gary says to listen to me and Eddie, I, like several others above enjoy that on-the-go convenience of the electric and my classic Norelco Triple Header, and have for 35+ years now. Not the same one of course. It does everything you need, probably even that manscaping Tullfooter mentioned. And I always keep a disposable handy also for leveling up the 'burns,.......and the ears, nose, and all those other damn places that hair just seems to grow from these days.       
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

....and the ears, nose, and all those other damn places that hair just seems to grow from these days.       

You forgot your back
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

....and the ears, nose, and all those other damn places that hair just seems to grow from these days.       

You forgot your back

But Don, Laurie likes it which is the very important part of the issue!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 11:25pm
for lessons on that just watch the three stooges.. make sure you make the padoink sound when you test it to see if it splits a hair
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2012 at 1:24am
You might want to practice first Halston,   maybe on a peach or a cat.

I tryed a straight razor once, it was about 20 minutes before the ride to the hospital to see about getting my left sideburn to stop bleeding.

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2012 at 4:01am
I would go with an angle grinder instead, same result but you can also use the angle grinder on a stringer project.
uk 1979 part2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk 1979 part2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2012 at 6:57am
You need to factor in the cost of these too

lets have a go 2
Foot_Fungus View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foot_Fungus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2012 at 2:17pm
straight blades are a pita to use until you get used to the angle of the blade part. I used one for a few months that I got with a kit from "The Art of Shaving" store. They require sharpening pretty much after every use though to stay sharp enough not to nick or razor burn you. Don't really save you any money as you need to use a good shaving oil(which isnt cheap) and after-shave in order not to scorch your face. Stopped using it after a few months when I realized I wasn't really saving any money and still nicked myself every now and then.

Think blades are expensive for you, try having to shave your head every 2-3 days on top of your face. With the tough hairs on the back of my head I go through a blade every 3rd shave(in the shower) and thats with drying and prepping the blades afterwards. Granted I have a sensitive face/head.

Tried the electric route, but could never find one that worked worth a crap and always took me 3 times as long vs. my mach 3(I can shave my head and face in about 15 minutes excluding touchups around the ear and such when i get out of the shower).
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2012 at 8:05am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

I switched to a Braun electric about 5 years ago and that's a 1 way street for sure!

I did too, because I always got rash from shaving... Switched to the Braun Series 7 and will never go back...

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2012 at 3:19pm
Nair is another option.   I've used it on my back with amazing results. But it smells really bad and if you do have sensitive skin, you might wind-up with a nasty chemical burn.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic