Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Headless Stereo / IPOD info

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Wacko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wacko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Headless Stereo / IPOD info
    Posted: June-14-2012 at 4:55pm
Hey all,

I have been doing some searching of the forum and reading as much as I could find. I want to put a stereo into my 1980 SN. Just something basic, don't need to here it while behind the boat just mostly for the passengers and maybe to listen to when floating around.

Like I said above I want something as basic as possible. I have read many suggest going headless with an IPOD and that sounds like the way I want to go. With that being said what exactly do I need to do this?? I would love a list of what is needed and pics would be great. Even a basic wiring diagram would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Craig
N2Deep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N2Deep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2012 at 7:57pm
I put in an Amp that had an Aux input and no head unit. Don't use CD's anymore nor can I pick up a radio station. My kids just want to plug in their IPOD or phone. Just find and amp that has an Aux input and you should be good to go. You then just have power - fused strait to battery, ground - run back to engine block, remote turn on - run to Acc button on dash and then speakers out. The only issue is volume - you either have to control it from the ipod or put some sort of volume adjustment - I have a line level controller that I plan to install or just cut the power to the amp from the Acc button if I need to.
1991 SN pulled by a 2010 Tundra
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2012 at 12:51am
Either one of these is the simplest. If you want to add more power then you will be forced to go with a larger amplifier. But I have installed several of these with no complaints.

2 Channel Amp MP3 Setup

4 Channel Amp MP3 Setup

All you would need then is an adapter that will plug into your MP3 Player (iPod) 3.5mm and then plug into the RCA's on the amp.

I can sell these to you at cost plus shipping if you wish just PM me.

Allen
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2012 at 11:15am
I wish I would have done that instead of canabalizing (sp) my dash.    Talk about a moron move; I took my boat to a shop for a stereo without the observer seat in. I picked a spot in the dash that looked great (without the seat in). When I got home and put the seat back in, the stereo was behind the seat, which makes it tough to change the volume or turn it on and off. I did install a remote input for the Ipods/phones.
The only upside is I highly doubt it will ever be stolen.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2012 at 11:26am
the PO of my boat put in a head unit. I wish I would have gotten it from him before he carved up the dash. I would have done the ipod straight into the amp.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2012 at 11:59am
HatterBee has the right idea and I like the all in one box aproach. Poly Planer has been pretty god for over the years as well.
I did the exact same thing only a'la carte' (sp?) on my center console. i didnt want a hole in the dash so I bought some good speakers, a 900 watt amp and a JL audio line driver and a pocket full of RCA Y connectors. It just runs an Ipod and there is a little inconspicuous volume knob on the dash.

My '78 Nautique on the other hand has a hole in the dash. A big hole for one of those water proof boxes with the door. I am looking for a glove box I can fit in there and do the Ipod only thing again. I suppose I could have fixed the dash when I painted the boat but I had to draw a line somewhere. Maybe Ill just jam in one of nice new Fusion docking stereos and be done with it. I dunno yet.
John
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
N2Deep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N2Deep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2012 at 2:16pm
Here is the model I bought - Pyle-Car Audio/video - PLMR440PA Marine Amplifier. Decent and no problems.
1991 SN pulled by a 2010 Tundra
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2012 at 2:24pm
Marshall has a nice setup in his 70 mustang he has the amp and speakers all under the dash and up in the bow. You almost can not even see it and it rocks. It is all right at his feet and it is Ipod type system. All in the bow of the boat.

Donald
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2012 at 3:47pm
John if you decide to go the Fusion route the IP600 is great unit and allows you place any iPod inside the unit for max protection. I have the IP600 on all boats, and plan on one in the SN when it is finished.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

Wacko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wacko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2012 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by HatterBee HatterBee wrote:

Either one of these is the simplest. If you want to add more power then you will be forced to go with a larger amplifier. But I have installed several of these with no complaints.

2 Channel Amp MP3 Setup

4 Channel Amp MP3 Setup

All you would need then is an adapter that will plug into your MP3 Player (iPod) 3.5mm and then plug into the RCA's on the amp.

I can sell these to you at cost plus shipping if you wish just PM me.

Allen

PM Sent. Thanks

Airgrabber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airgrabber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2012 at 6:01pm
Using an amp only is a good idea. I went and put a stereo and amp in both. The stereo is nice for controlling the volume and it does pick up some stations but the kids can care less they use their MP3 and IPod only anyway. The only thing I did with the speakers is put a waterproof plug that I can unhook them to take them out when we are skiing. Boat gets pretty full. We only really use it at the sand bar and cruising around anyway.
Life is good. Work hard! Play Hard!
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2012 at 6:26pm
I kinda of like a head unit it gives more flexibility for tuning the amp. once the amp is mounted they can become a pain to get to to adust bass, treble and other. I went with four channel MB quart very happy it runs one memphis 10 mono bridged and two 6 1/4 kicker, and radio runs two 5 1/4. If I were to do it again I would not of used the 6 1/4.
One of the internet sales stores has the amp and nice wiring package for a very reasonable price, I also added a small sony commander in the dash so you do not really have to touch radio
Lakedog55
echobravoecho View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote echobravoecho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2012 at 7:46pm
HatterBee,

Have you ever considered a bluetooth input on that amp?

Ed
Kmac1587 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kmac1587 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 1:17am
I am going to be installing a head unit in my 92 SN this week. What did you use to cut the opening in your glove box to fit the head unit? Looks clean nice work!
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 1:56am
Originally posted by Kmac1587 Kmac1587 wrote:

I am going to be installing a head unit in my 92 SN this week. What did you use to cut the opening in your glove box to fit the head unit? Looks clean nice work!

Some boats came with a radio installed in that location stock from the factory. My 1993 glove box has the hole pre-cut and the wires are already run. I just need a radio and speakers...
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 2:02am
The Previous Owner of my boat had a head unit installed by screwing the "cage" from the stereo on the left drivers kick panel. Not a bad place, and no cutting. Although, if you're going to the head unit regularly, it would be annoying. I assume they used it with a remote type setup.
Kmac1587 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kmac1587 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 2:07am
Thats where I was thinking. I could install it to the kick panel on the drivers side. Do you have any pics of how yours looks by chance?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 12:58pm
Kevin, I don't have a picture right now, but I can take a picture of it this weekend. Like I say, it's just the "cage" and leftover wiring. The original stereo is gone, but you'll get the idea.

I'm actually planning to get it out of there as soon as possible. Hopefully this weekend. But, I'll snap some pics before I do.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 4:33pm
Can't believe I missed this, I've been 'headless' for a couple of years now.   I couldn't figure out a clean place to put a headunit, and the price got really out of hand when I started adding remotes to use the glove box location, it did get out of hand later, but the instal and the sound are both entertaining at this point.

I started with an iSimple cable (is75) and a JL amp, the dash breaker was my amp turn on. Worked great everything ran through the headphone jack and controlled with the regular controls on an iPod Classic.   Next, I found that it sounded better and charged the iPod if I plugged it into the bottom of the iPod. That caused the volume controls not to function so it was just on loud. To get around that I added a small JL line driver that has a variable control knob, that was my volume knob. With that I was able to run the 4 in boat speakers and a sub on a seperate amp. The amps take care off the crossover between the speakers and there's just one small knob and a cable by the throttle.

It's grown quite a bit since then, added tower speakers, another amp and EQ, and a cruise control for the volume knob. (PP for the stereo). Same basic setup with no headunit, I can listen to just about anything streamed through the iPhone.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic